Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Calling it early, if we use two picks, I've listed five chances, thought about this and my guys in order of preference:

1/ Noah Howes For pick 1/ :On form, if this was a horse race, I feel he has to be the favourite, can play back as well. His age is also a plus .
2/ Jasper Scaife for pick 1/ :Another key forward that can play back, {recruiters love players that are versatile} form good.
3/ Will Patton for pick 2/ I'm only going to say this once, Will is too good not to be on an AFL list, back from injury and playing very good football. This lad is a dream prospect, South Australian captain at the nationals, All Australian, leadership skills and at 193cm and 84kg, lovely raking left foot kick, he knows how to play that role to a tee. For comparison, think a young Jordan Ridley.
4/ Frank Szecely for pick 2/ : Dangerous small forward with lots of pace and ability and knows how to kick goals, a bit of potential in this young man, North Adelaide player.
5/ Jacob Blight for pick 2/ :Key defender playing well in the WAFL, old fashion type who could transition to AFL with the way he plays. Worth a shot for our 2nd mid season pick, if we go that way.

Quite hard to separate the top three but had to go with Noah at one, won't be disappointed if we get two of these five players in the draft providing we take two picks. Gee wiz Will's an exciting prospect for a mid-season draft, SA Captain and All Australian and some people will say "well if he's that good why didn't he get picked up"?

Recruiters obviously told him to work on one or two things and he is in that awkward height range but I feel that is not a concern because if he was a game machine I think he would have to be called "Space Invaders", cause this boy can defend! Ah, the small forward, to say we could do with a dangerous mature small forward is putting it mildly, "about time". I'm pretty sure Frank would cause a few headaches running around our forward line and with his pace and experience plus that x factor he could be quite damaging at AFL level.

So most of the press have gone crazy on us taking Jacob, a key defender in the draft, it might be me but I sometimes wonder if these guys actually do any research that corresponds with our actual list, its really amazing to be honest. Another poster I think it was justroyal summed it up perfectly, some of the press will try to get clicks and will be all over it cause if we take one pick and say take a key forward they will say "but why didn't they go for a key defender, they never do the obvious! Likewise if with one pick we choose a key defender it will be "same mistakes again by North Melbourne, no one to help Nick Larkey in the forward line"! One pick or two picks and what way are we going to go? Stay tuned for "The days of OUR LIVES", or for some of our posters "The Young & the RESTLESS".

Last edited:
I'd go key forward in Howes or Scaife with no. 1. Take a defender, ruck or big bodied mid with the 2nd MSD if we use it.
I suspect we may not use the 2nd pick based on our history.
whats the thought proccess behind not using the 2nd pick?
It's not just whether the money is worth taking a second, but the time a second player it would soak up in the time and effort of development coaches who must already be stretched pretty thin by a very young list.

If it were me, I might contemplate taking the best 18/19 year in the hope of jagging a diamond, but any second pick would be mature age, and ready to go emotionally and physically

Calling it early, if we use two picks, I've listed five chances, thought about this and my guys in order of preference:

1/ Noah Howes For pick 1/ :On form, if this was a horse race, I feel he has to be the favourite, can play back as well. His age is also a plus .
2/ Jasper Scaife for pick 1/ :Another key forward that can play back, {recruiters love players that are versatile} form good.
3/ Will Patton for pick 2/ I'm only going to say this once, Will is too good not to be on an AFL list, back from injury and playing very good football. This lad is a dream prospect, South Australian captain at the nationals, All Australian, leadership skills and at 193cm and 84kg, lovely raking left foot kick, he knows how to play that role to a tee. For comparison, think a young Jordan Ridley.
4/ Frank Szecely for pick 2/ : Dangerous small forward with lots of pace and ability and knows how to kick goals, a bit of potential in this young man, North Adelaide player.
5/ Jacob Blight for pick 2/ :Key defender playing well in the WAFL, old fashion type who could transition to AFL with the way he plays. Worth a shot for our 2nd mid season pick, if we go that way.

Quite hard to separate the top three but had to go with Noah at one, won't be disappointed if we get two of these five players in the draft providing we take two picks. Gee wiz Will's an exciting prospect for a mid-season draft, SA Captain and All Australian and some people will say "well if he's that good why didn't he get picked up"?

Recruiters obviously told him to work on one or two things and he is in that awkward height range but I feel that is not a concern because if he was a game machine I think he would have to be called "Space Invaders", cause this boy can defend! Ah, the small forward, to say we could do with a dangerous mature small forward is putting it mildly, "about time". I'm pretty sure Frank would cause a few headaches running around our forward line and with his pace and experience plus that x factor he could be quite damaging at AFL level.

So most of the press have gone crazy on us taking Jacob, a key defender in the draft, it might be me but I sometimes wonder if these guys actually do any research that corresponds with our actual list, its really amazing to be honest. Another poster I think it was justroyal summed it up perfectly, some of the press will try to get clicks and will be all over it cause if we take one pick and say take a key forward they will say "but why didn't they go for a key defender, they never do the obvious! Likewise if with one pick we choose a key defender it will be "same mistakes again by North Melbourne, no one to help Nick Larkey in the forward line"! One pick or two picks and what way are we going to go? Stay tuned for "The days of OUR LIVES", or for some of our posters "The Young & the RESTLESS".
Yeah i think most have forgotten about Will. I was pretty surprised he was not drafted. Would be a very good pick in my opinion. Good call mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright! Howes wasn’t real impressive in that game, now watch to peel and swan districts to see what Blight has to offer!
Great work mate really love how you guy and girls keep us all up to date with everything involving the Draft training and the Seconds when they play. There is a handful on her that go the extra yards that obviously not all of us can do for various reasons. So well done to the ones that do. Keep up the great work.

Great work mate really love how you guy and girls keep us all up to date with everything involving the Draft training and the Seconds when they play. There is a handful on her that go the extra yards that obviously not all of us can do for various reasons. So well done to the ones that do. Keep up the great work.

Thanks mate. Appreciate it. I just love talking footy!

I wouldn’t usually get the chance to watch so many games in a day, but have the flu so I’ve watched the north reserves, WWT Vs Souths and now I’ve got Peel V Swan Districts in on. It’s awesome that we have access to all the state leagues on the AFL app.

Blight had a decent day against Swan Districts. He really crashes pack when he contests to spoil and does all the team 1%er’s really well. Didn’t get to see much contested marking, as most of his marks came from cheapies across the ground. His kicking is really neat and he seems pretty composed at this level.

When he is defending on the lead his first few steps look quite slow, but then he seems to make ground. Overall though his straight line speed is pretty good considering he is a big lump of a kid.

Biggest concern is agility, seems to have a big turning circle, pretty similar to McKay actually.

Hard to say if I see a genuine AFL player there, but I can see why he is getting interest. Not too many sub 23 year olds have a big mature body like his and he isn’t afraid to throw it around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back