Review Round 23 = Collingwood 100-124 Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless Macrae has been sitting on a plan to win the ball back between our F50 arc and theirs, and unveils it week 1 of finals, every team will kick through the zone like Carlton, Hawthorn and Brisbane.

Maybe they resort to man but they haven't done it all year.

Why are Hill and De Goey still out? Why is Murphy a likely out when we don't seem to know what actually happened to him? Ever assuming the absolute worst
Agree. Fly stated JDG and Hill will play next week and they would have played last night if it was a final. Moore suffered a slight hammy. He will be back in time for first final in 3 weeks. Fly reported Murph suffered repeated knocks to the same glute area. It looked more like a head high tackle to me.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s remarkable how stats can be spun for a headline

What a stupid stat anyway. We haven’t even played the last 5 games of the season!

There’s a game next week to go.

If we beat Essendon next week we will have won 2 of our last 3, with only a loss to the 2nd placed side with our 3 best players out by only 4 goals.

So what's changed in the last month?
I don't know, what do you think?

But getting back to your initial post, it sounded like you were alluding to cause we lost to Carlton and Hawks with Moore, DeGOey and Hill playing they wouldn't of made a difference last night? is that true? cause i don't think so, if those 3 played last night we would of won.

Brisbane beat us by 4 goals.
Neale was on fire.
All their forwards kicked 3 or more goals.
Fast deck of Marvel.
Full strength team.
Basically, it was a game they were never going to lose and I am impressed we even got that close.

Daicos, Moore, Degoey, Hill, MCG

Yeah, I think there are 4 goals to be found there somewhere.

Fear not my Magpie faithful, all is not lost.
Love how everyone's saying we'll get em at the G'.

They'll win out from here and play 3 straight at the Gabba. If we lose the first final which is a very real possibility we'll be seeing them at the Gabba on Prelim final weekend.

I've seen nothing the last 3 times we've played them that says we can even get close to them over there.

They'll win out from here and play 3 straight at the Gabba. If we lose the first final which is a very real possibility we'll be seeing them at the Gabba on Prelim final weekend.

I've seen nothing the last 3 times we've played them that says we can even get close to them over there.
I’m a realist , if we lose the first final we can’t win it. Though I think we won’t go out in straight sets we won’t be beating Brisbane in Brisbane. But why can’t we win first week against Melbourne most likely or Port. I actually think Melbourne first week is not a bad match-up for us.

What a stupid stat anyway. We haven’t even played the last 5 games of the season!

If we beat Essendon next week we will have won 2 of our last 3, with only a loss to the 2nd placed side with our 3 best players out by only 4 goals.
Can you ease up just little bit on logic and context please, there no place for it in here

Hate to say it but there’s a bit of 18/19 about our last two seasons. We lost the plot in the back end of 19 too, had a really good win in the QF and then dropped what really should’ve been unloseable in the prelim.

Hope this doesn’t pan out the same way
Our recent 20-year history not to mention our pre-history is littered with finals disappointment. I haven't gone through the historical stats but I'd say just in the last 20 years no team has made finals and failed as many times as us, maybe Geelong but they grabbed 4 flags to our 1 so they would get off the hook. We are great at getting to September but never great at finding our best form once we get there, even the 2010 GF we were not at our best and got lucky somehow. It's like playing a broken record of torture over and over! I'd love just one time to feel what it is like to watch your team win 3 finals and do it playing at a high level every time. Just once before I check out!

I’m a realist , if we lose the first final we can’t win it. Though I think we won’t go out in straight sets we won’t be beating Brisbane in Brisbane. But why can’t we win first week against Melbourne most likely or Port. I actually think Melbourne first week is not a bad match-up for us.
We won’t be beating bris in bris because we won’t be playing them in bris.

When Fly looks back on this season after we’ve been knocked out of finals (whenever that is), I swear if he turns around and talks about “learnings” and mentions that “maybe they could have managed players throughout the season better” I’ll lose my s**t.

Think your sh1t sailed a fair while ago.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harden up.

We get a couple of our best players back, don’t have a debutant coughing up goals, a defence not weakened by in game injuries, and play them at the MCG and we’ll brain them.

Why would you fear them so much after last night?

To me they look very gettable.
agree, they kicked a heap of snaps and arsey goals also

Lol. That's what I thought too. Another poster on here all doomy & gloomy saying no team who has won the gf lost 2 of their last 3 h&a matches...hello? We haven't even played our last 3 matches. Win next week, and we've WON 2 of our last 3 matches.

We had such a mishmash of defenders last night, so small in comparison to arguably one of the most potent & damaging forward lines in the comp. Losing defenders left, right & centre. No Moore, No Howe, a nervous debutant, injured Murphy, IQ & Bruz not at their best, poor Big Bill trying to be the General in only his 2nd game back in defence after a long while.. I'm not surprised we looked shaky against Daniher, Hipwood, Cameron, Bailey etc etc who have played consistently well together all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We certainly have some alarming issues that need to be solved, but remember, all the top 4 teams have issues too. Its a close year.

Yes, Brisbane may be in the box seat, but rest assured, Melbourne and Port can both beat them up there on their day, because they both have midfields with the potential to torch Brisbane (we dont).

Its going to be an interesting finals, and all I can say for sure is that it wont play out according to the most likely scenario.

Oh, and the other thing I can say for sure is that Carlton wont be winning the flag. What media nonsense.

Harden up.

We get a couple of our best players back, don’t have a debutant coughing up goals, a defence not weakened by in game injuries, and play them at the MCG and we’ll brain them.

Why would you fear them so much after last night?

To me they look very gettable.
I'll say this again. This has all to do with our July training load.
Designed to build fitness before the finals. We were afforded this luxury as we were comfortably on top.
Wade used to do this with the Rabbitohs and they would often lose a couple of games before finals and become eventual premiers.
Come finals time all guns blazing.
Our manic game will be back for those last few.

Teams that are either fighting for a top 4 or to stay in the 8 cannot afford to do a training load.
Hence we will be fitter at the pointy end of the season.
Players have been experiencing heavy legs after this method.

Wade and Fly will prove to be genius.

Last edited:

Because Brisbane never lose finals at home right .. yawn, so many people can see the future.

When Fly looks back on this season after we’ve been knocked out of finals (whenever that is), I swear if he turns around and talks about “learnings” and mentions that “maybe they could have managed players throughout the season better” I’ll lose my s**t.
We did 'rest' players last night .. JDG & Hill. Fly said both would have played if it was a final.

That's the risk you take when you 'rest' players. You risk losing the h&a match in order for those players to be fit & firing come finals. Port also lost a string of matches when they 'rested' players.

And Dee's, another top 4 side are still tinkering away with their team, not knowing what their best 22 looks like. Let's see if Lions can actually win away from the Gabba or Gabba 2.0 (Marvel)?

Quaynor had a shocker.

Multiple times he came off Cameron to impact a contest in which he didn’t, Cameron waited out the back and goals.

I get the idea of trying to create the extra number but for crying out loud can we just stay on Cameron!

Overall, we got smashed by Brisbanes forwards and mids crumbing the footy in the right spots.

this is our problem, the 2 forwards who were going to hurt us last night were Daniher and Cameron. Why we don’t ever lock down on that one dangerous forward beggars belief. There is always a forward that has a day out against us because we are either guarding space or committed to outnumbering at the next contest. It works up the ground, but if you get it wrong in the backline, it costs you almost a certain goal

also, what was the thinking tagging Neale with Mitchell. That’s a Crisp job all day everyday

I'll say this again. This has all to do with our July training load.
Designed to build fitness before the finals. We were afforded this luxury as we were comfortably on top.
Wade used to do this with the Rabbitohs and they would often lose a couple of games before finals and become eventual premiers.
Come finals time all guns blazing.
Our manic game will be back for those last few.

Teams that are either fighting for a top 4 or to stay in the 8 cannot afford to do a training load.
Hence we will be fitter at the pointy end of the season.
Players have been experiencing heavy legs after this method.

Wade and Fly will prove to be genius.
Never knew that about Wade at Rabbitohs. Great work FJ

I didn't expect to win last night, so not devastated with the 4 goal result. I'm more concerned about the injury to Murphy.

No Nick, no Darcy, no Jordy & no Bobby and Murph missing for a quarter. And if Cox had started the game in the centre bounce we would have started a lot better.

Its not all gloom & doom.

I also think Howe is a better option forward than Ash at the moment. He's averaging 2 goals a game, and the opposition have to afford him more respect than they do AJ. Howe is also better defensively.

I am confident that if Nick is the only one missing week 1, we will be fine.

I didn't expect to win last night, so not devastated with the 4 goal result. I'm more concerned about the injury to Murphy.

No Nick, no Darcy, no Jordy & no Bobby and Murph missing for a quarter. And if Cox had started the game in the centre bounce we would have started a lot better.

Its not all gloom & doom.

I also think Howe is a better option forward than Ash at the moment. He's averaging 2 goals a game, and the opposition have to afford him more respect than they do AJ. Howe is also better defensively.

I am confident that if Nick is the only one missing week 1, we will be fine.
On Nick. He has youth on his side and will recover quicker than an older bloke would.
He's also a true professional doing everything possible to be back ASAP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back