Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MITCHITO OWENS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite Michito moment so far was when he was absolutely mauled by two Carlton players (someone screencapped it earlier, Young I think had a sleeper hold on him mid air). Hits the deck, ball up, no free.

Nothing demonstrative or histrionic from Mitch, just a wry smile, raised eyebrow and slight shake of the head; puts his hand up for the ruck duties and goes in again. Love to see that attitude.
My favourite's still when he basically flung off two Bombers just outside 50, got the quick kick away and it landed in Higgins's(?) lap. Just the sheer power was amazing

Although I marvel at Owens ability to play just about any role, I am not that keen for him to ruck at centre square bounces. I reckon he might be too valuable to risk playing that role. You don’t want to use your Lamborghini towing a trailer when the Hi-Lux is just fine.
Gotta be one of the most overused sayings in footy.
How many ruckmen are injured in contests?
His ruckwork v Carlton was better than Marshall’s. Insane.

Not advocating full-time, but a few centre bounces to spark us when needed will be more than fine. In fact it’s a dead set asset.

Not advocating full-time, but a few centre bounces to spark us when needed will be more than fine. In fact it’s a dead set asset.
Understand, but I much rather him running at the ball at a throw in, than running at a slow moving tank with pointy knees at a centre bounce.

I just hope they don’t forget about developing that skill. Obviously he’s a mid in the future and he can kick goals and mark aerially. But him being able to genuinely contribute as a chop out ruck and not just hold down the fort while Marshall takes a nap. That’s a weapon.

I just hope they don’t forget about developing that skill. Obviously he’s a mid in the future and he can kick goals and mark aerially. But him being able to genuinely contribute as a chop out ruck and not just hold down the fort while Marshall takes a nap. That’s a weapon.
He’s the sort of player you’ll be able to put wherever we need a spark. Nothing happening in the midfield - put him in the middle, can’t win a clearance - throw him in the ruck, can’t kick a goal - chuck him in the forward line.
He‘ll make things happen wherever he plays.

No idea what the rankings are based on but that’s some pretty decent company. Impressive to see Wood in there too.

Honestly not sure what it’s all about either, and to be fair I don’t really think Mitch rates above Jeremy Cameron. But, it’s good to see the footy world taking notice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strong chance to win it but depends on how the panel look at it. From a pure influence of performance on a teams results it's Owens but a big margin.

Supply of the ball to Norths backline is never going to be in short supply whi h gives sheezle ample opportunity, so he gets 30 a game and gives him a great chance to put his hand up every week.

Ashcroft working in the midfield is very composed for his age but if you look at the stat numbers on the AFL app where they rate them against position he is at average for almost all the midfield metrics and he plays along side one of the best midfileds which could be a consideration of the panel.

Owens by rating is our best player on the ground as a forward/ruck - probably one of the hardest positions to do what he is doing, less stats because of it compared to the others but ranks as elite and above average for the bulk of it in the ratings to position.

moving him into the midfield could help but could also hinder his chances, where he is now he is doing something unique, would have to play like bontempelli for those rankings to stay where they are in the midfiled (for 3rd in the league I mean) which we haven't seen him do for a full game yet.

Strong chance to win it but depends on how the panel look at it. From a pure influence of performance on a teams results it's Owens but a big margin.

Supply of the ball to Norths backline is never going to be in short supply whi h gives sheezle ample opportunity, so he gets 30 a game and gives him a great chance to put his hand up every week.

Ashcroft working in the midfield is very composed for his age but if you look at the stat numbers on the AFL app where they rate them against position he is at average for almost all the midfield metrics and he plays along side one of the best midfileds which could be a consideration of the panel.

Owens by rating is our best player on the ground as a forward/ruck - probably one of the hardest positions to do what he is doing, less stats because of it compared to the others but ranks as elite and above average for the bulk of it in the ratings to position.

moving him into the midfield could help but could also hinder his chances, where he is now he is doing something unique, would have to play like bontempelli for those rankings to stay where they are in the midfiled (for 3rd in the league I mean) which we haven't seen him do for a full game yet.
That’s a good point. Playing midfield is good for his development and might help our team win but I would almost rather keep him forward so he can win the rising star

That’s a good point. Playing midfield is good for his development and might help our team win but I would almost rather keep him forward so he can win the rising star
Arguably, keeping him forward of the ball is the best thing for the team right now tbh depending on the functionality of the forward line once king is back. On the list of problems I think it goes forward 50 entry conversion rate then the midfield, moving him is basically a rob Peter to pay Paul scenario. Taking that impact away could be a backwards step.

Plus you wouldn't want him to chopout ruck if he's been battling away in there already, blokes gonna collapse of exhaustion - so unless we're sadists we would also need to find that role also.

Arguably, keeping him forward of the ball is the best thing for the team right now tbh depending on the functionality of the forward line once king is back. On the list of problems I think it goes forward 50 entry conversion rate then the midfield, moving him is basically a rob Peter to pay Paul scenario. Taking that impact away could be a backwards step.

Plus you wouldn't want him to chopout ruck if he's been battling away in there already, blokes gonna collapse of exhaustion - so unless we're sadists we would also need to find that role also.
It’s so hard. When he’s been there he changes the look with his explosive burst off the ball. Right now only gresh or seb can provide that out of the middle. Steele and crouch and strong but one speed.

But obviously he’s been our best forward.

100% wrong IMO
Its a team game and about what's best for Mitch , not individual awards

I think Ashcroft is still the front runner. Mitchi would have to have a few massive games to over take him.

Sportsbet are slowly upping their cash out figure on my rising star each week though so he must be a chance
Are you turning into Gringo trying to claim him LOL

I did say almost. Having a rising star winner would be great for our club’s image. No one would be able to deny we have young talent.
Who gives a crap what others think about our list , best way to shut people up is win a flag and that's done with team work not individual awards , did harves winning two brownlows help us ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back