Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - DARCY WILSON!

Remove this Banner Ad

And not quite sure how he'd be used in the AFL. Windsor had a more eye catching outside game. Darcy looked like he'd probably be a high running HF or rebound back potentially. His speed isn't blistering but his tank is elite. I think he went around where he should have gone but no-one can foresee the intangibles like professionalism, drive, adaptability etc. You guess at it but plenty of high picks flop.
Guys with huge tanks tend to look quicker as the game goes on. He is not blistering as you say but is no slouch, and in the dying moments of the game last week showed his worth with some gut busting attack on the ball.
As the game goes on and the players get tired, he looks quicker and quicker.

Rewatched the last quarter against richmond and Wilson was immense. That huge tackle, good pressure and desperate attack on the ball - a clever punch from under the pack to get it away from the Richmond forwards late.

He probably saved several several scoring shots single handedly in that quarter alone.

Really liking what I'm seeing with this kid, have high hopes for him.

He’s kicked 3 goals from his first four games as well, which is the best return thus far from all the 2023 draftees (bar Lefau who is a 25 year old mature ager).

That’s where I think he can really seperate himself from the pack.

Hopefully late in quarters and games he can continue to out run his opponents and get on to the end of a few chains in front of goal.

At this clip he could have 20 by the end of the season. Correct me if I’m wrong but that would be the best return we’ve had for a draftee since…Sinclair.

He has been stiff not to already have had a rising star nomination. Hopefully his form continues to improve and he is nominated before too long. There is no doubt however we have found a sensational player with a huge future at the club.

Guys with huge tanks tend to look quicker as the game goes on. He is not blistering as you say but is no slouch, and in the dying moments of the game last week showed his worth with some gut busting attack on the ball.
As the game goes on and the players get tired, he looks quicker and quicker.
Like Brad Hill, they run as hard in the last minute as they do in the first minute.

Him and Poo leaving will be on the news tonight.

i heard we had to drag them onto the plane back to Vic at gun point. was super messy. almost didnt make it out. SA cops hard on our tail.
Apparently Sharman is trying hard to get both young guns to join him at Central Districts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Sharman is trying hard to get both young guns to join him at Central Districts.

heard he's still trying to leave the ground from sunday. full kit. just takes him a while with any kind of movement.

heard he's still trying to leave the ground from sunday. full kit. just takes him a while with any kind of movement.
Completely understandable. It's a narrow ground.

Seeing him compared to Whitfield, Black, Fyfe, Dusty, Harvey, Robbie Flower etc. Are we possibly going a bit early?

When I see him the first player that comes to mind is Dan McKenzie.

Completely understandable. It's a narrow ground.

They had to line him up carefully before the game, so he could run up and back without going out of bounds.
Had to do a 5 point turn every time he wanted to run in the opposite direction.

Seeing him compared to Whitfield, Black, Fyfe, Dusty, Harvey, Robbie Flower etc. Are we possibly going a bit early?

I'm just in the middle of writing a new bible about the second coming.

DMac…last one I’d compare Darcy to!
Why not? Similar size, build and athletic profile.

Don't see Darcy having the same game sense as some of the elite youngsters we've seen in early years like Daicos and Sheezel.

His disposal is iffy and he makes some poor decisions but you can't deny the effort is there.

Dmacs best was very good, if weren't for injuries I could have seen him being on the cusp of an AA squad of 40 type player.

If DMacs best his floor, I think it would be a good investment of pick 18, anything higher is a bonus.

I'm definitely not saying he can't become elite, but I just haven't seen any reason to assume he's going to be other than blind optimism.

Early on Dmac was an athlete playing football. Great work ethic, hard as nails and many good attributes, BUT his football judgement was very lacking early on, and then quite late he developed it.

Wilson IMO in terms of football judgment is way in front of Dmac this early on. Yes at times some of his decision making with respect to ball use has gone awry, but he is only 5 games in. But equally his decision making on when and where to run is very good for 5 game player. Certainly better that Dmac's early on.

He's improving every game. And I think the key thing is his confidence.
Obviously his strength is his running and we are seeing more and more of it. He looks to have solid disposal and a cracking workrate.
Cannot see any reasons why he wouldnt be a solid asset with a long career.

D'mac had massive issues early on. He butchered it deluxe. It took him years to get it out of his system.

Of all of our exciting youngsters (NWM, Owens, Windy, Pou), I reckon Wilson has found his feet the quickest of them all.

Well up until Garcia's one third of a game I would have agreed with you ;)

Early days yet of course. It will be sensational if he can keep rolling out his football at that high a standard so early in his career. We can only hope so, as out midfield badlu needs it.

He's improving every game. And I think the key thing is his confidence.
Obviously his strength is his running and we are seeing more and more of it. He looks to have solid disposal and a cracking workrate.
Cannot see any reasons why he wouldnt be a solid asset with a long career.

D'mac had massive issues early on. He butchered it deluxe. It took him years to get it out of his system.

The thing about being a very good runner (/athlete) is that you have to know when, and where to run. Wilson does.

Dmac till late in his career did not.

Allison has no clue.

White ditto.

Frankie Peckett became a very good player for us when he realised when and where to run.

Wison is an athlete and a footballer ;) He is only going to get better and better with experience.

At times this year he has run "when and where" beautifully, but then not iced the cake with a good kick/disposal decision. The latter will improve with more games.

Really hope he becomes something special and I think he'll be a really handy player.

I just think comparing him to legends of the game is premature and may lead to disappointment.

Thought he was handy on Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back