Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - DARCY WILSON!

Remove this Banner Ad

Plays similar to Caleb Windsor, he was obviously a top 10 pick and seems a bit more polished but Darcy has all the tools to suit the way the game is played today.
His work rate on the ground is impressive.

Always finds some space on the field.

A lot of us wanted a mid, and there were not too many good ones in that draft.
We soon realised that Sanders was a pipe dream, and the next ones were Windsor and Wilson.
ESPN had an early phantom with Wilson at 12, Windsor 13.
It was then a worry that clubs wanting a midfielder would grab them both early, and some of us were just happy if either of them were going to be available at our pick.

To me it felt a bit like the Clark/Coffield draft, where we were getting leftovers after all the big names were gone, and i'm just ecstatic at the surprise packet i've seen in Wilson.

I was really big on him early then lost interest as some of the others looked more like they were going to shoot up the order. He was pretty safe option where we took him. The question marks were disposal and probably being a bit of a not sure what he'd become type. He wasn't as pure outside as Windsor but he's not a true inside bull either. He's meant to have lots of party tricks which we haven't seen much of yet.

His athletic prowess should see him go a lot further than Clark and Coff IMO. Even if he doesn't become a star I think he gets to a GOP level quite easily and from there who knows. Looks a 200 game player type barring anything unforeseen. Could see him being Seb Ross like without even pushing himself too hard but hopefully with something extra.

I was really big on him early then lost interest as some of the others looked more like they were going to shoot up the order. He was pretty safe option where we took him. The question marks were disposal and probably being a bit of a not sure what he'd become type. He wasn't as pure outside as Windsor but he's not a true inside bull either. He's meant to have lots of party tricks which we haven't seen much of yet.

His athletic prowess should see him go a lot further than Clark and Coff IMO. Even if he doesn't become a star I think he gets to a GOP level quite easily and from there who knows. Looks a 200 game player type barring anything unforeseen. Could see him being Seb Ross like without even pushing himself too hard but hopefully with something extra.
The bad disposal was obvious when playing inside. Opposed to that it was very good on the outside and that's his go. We've got a genuine gazelle here so l don't want to see him in the bull ring.

Gee you’re setting the bar a bit low with a Seb Ross comparison..

Gee you’re setting the bar a bit low with a Seb Ross comparison..

Seb has had a career most would be happy with, 2 x Trevor Barkers and an Ian Stewart medal, vice captain etc. I reckon he could get that level without pushing too hard. I'd take that as a base line any day.

Seb has had a career most would be happy with, 2 x Trevor Barkers and an Ian Stewart medal, vice captain etc. I reckon he could get that level without pushing too hard. I'd take that as a base line any day.

I already like Wilson better on the outside. He's far quicker than Ross.

Yep and how many 'Seb Ross' Have we drafted since ...Seb Ross.

it's not many

He's meant to have lots of party tricks which we haven't seen much of yet.
We've already seen his over the head no look handball!

Darcy has a profile that means he is well placed to move with the shifting AFL landscape as well. There are plenty of players who lose some of their gloss when game plans shift, but I think Darcy has a base that means he will always be adaptable, and I think that is really important in list management terms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he’ll be out Lachie Whitfield.

im getting a harves like motor and shimmy, crossed with lenny's attack on the ball, a bit of the martin big game energy, fyfe like aerial abilities, slows time like dal... who am I missing?

Former basketball player?

Think he’ll be out Lachie Whitfield.

He has the athletic credentials but Whitfield's kicking is elite. Not sure you can learn that on the fly. Maybe more Josh Kelly.

I think it was a case of Darcy being pigeonholed as a purely outside player by recruiters..

And not quite sure how he'd be used in the AFL. Windsor had a more eye catching outside game. Darcy looked like he'd probably be a high running HF or rebound back potentially. His speed isn't blistering but his tank is elite. I think he went around where he should have gone but no-one can foresee the intangibles like professionalism, drive, adaptability etc. You guess at it but plenty of high picks flop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back