Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MITCHITO OWENS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think I said "oh its just uncontested".

I understand exactly the role of the running hbf "receiver" and Daicos is clearly the best atm.

But no offence to running hbf's (Sinclair, Daicos, Saad included) but what Mitch is being asked to do is a lot tougher and thats why he ranks higher on the CD stats.

I think that it's a pretty dumb system to be honest. Chito is a beast and wins his own ball the hard way but he's also playing as a bit more of a mobile type of player than a true stand and deliver key position forward. He's getting marked against KPFs, if he was named as a general forward I'm not sure those stats would be as exceptional as much as I rate Chito in every way.

Daicos is absolutely elite and not just by champion data stats nonsense. It reminds me of when they called Sinclair elite as a wingman even though he probably wasn't purely a wingman and certainly wasn't elite at the time. Perhaps they had a vision of the future though.

Chito looks properly on track to be a special player but to call him top of the tree is a bit nuts IMO. Not many are swapping Jeremy Cameron out of their side for him yet.

I think that it's a pretty dumb system to be honest. Chito is a beast and wins his own ball the hard way but he's also playing as a bit more of a mobile type of player than a true stand and deliver key position forward. He's getting marked against KPFs, if he was named as a general forward I'm not sure those stats would be as exceptional as much as I rate Chito in every way.

Daicos is absolutely elite and not just by champion data stats nonsense. It reminds me of when they called Sinclair elite as a wingman even though he probably wasn't purely a wingman and certainly wasn't elite at the time. Perhaps they had a vision of the future though.

Chito looks properly on track to be a special player but to call him top of the tree is a bit nuts IMO. Not many are swapping Jeremy Cameron out of their side for him yet.
I think you should re- read the article and then you will understand the system better. Its about assessing your output against the mean in whatever position you play during a game.

As far as I know Jeremy Cameron isn't the 2nd ruck for Geelong and Nick Daicos does not play CHF for Collingwood.

I think you should re- read the article and then you will understand the system better.

Jeremy Cameron isn't the 2nd ruck for Geelong.

I heard Hoyne on SEN talking about the system. It's designed to stir up debate and get hits. It think they do it to make headlines. I'm happy enough watching how good Owens is going without needing to be told he's in the best handful of players in the AFL due to being classified as a player in a certain position. He's obviously going very well but he's not elite yet.

lW3Ov5o.jpg

If you re-did the 2021 draft right now, Owens probably goes at pick 2 right behind Daicos, pick 3 if you really rate JHF.

More than this, you'd assume Nas would go in the top 5, maybe top 6 depending how you rate Rachelle and Amiss, and Windy would probably go 20-25.

So it could pretty reasonably be argued that in 2021 we picked up 2 top 5 players, and a top 20 player, for pick 9 and a hand full of 3rd rounders. That draft has dramatically improved our list, and if we do compete for a flag in the next couple of years will be seen as a turning point for our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you re-did the 2021 draft right now, Owens probably goes at pick 2 right behind Daicos, pick 3 if you really rate JHF.

More than this, you'd assume Nas would go in the top 5, maybe top 6 depending how you rate Rachelle and Amiss, and Windy would probably go 20-25.

So it could pretty reasonably be argued that in 2021 we picked up 2 top 5 players, and a top 20 player, for pick 9 and a hand full of 3rd rounders. That draft has dramatically improved our list, and if we do compete for a flag in the next couple of years will be seen as a turning point for our club.

We had two promising academy players, its not like we did anything clever to get them. ( Same as all the other Academy players and F/S ever picked ).
Nas was a good choice for our first rounder.

We had two promising academy players, its not like we did anything clever to get them. ( Same as all the other Academy players and F/S ever picked ).
No one suggested we did anything clever to get them, just that it’s great we did.

Owens may well end up being the best next gen academy player taken in the draft.

We got very lucky with covid that he made it past pick 20

I think Daicos and JHF are ahead for now but there is every chance that MO flies past them at some point. Chito is 18 games into his career. Those others are really a season ahead of him and we haven't seen what Chito can do when unleashed on the midfield. I hope we build him up slow and steady and don't push too hard early. This kid is a thoroughbred not a normal Saints pack horse. He's a quiet shy kid and needs time to build up IMO.

He looks Bont/Fyfe like in his abilities. Just hope we can develop him right which so far looks like we are doing perfectly under Ross Lyon. Learning the right way to play two way contested footy and letting him build into it. I hope he keeps the joy in his game. He looks like he amazes himself at times and the genuine smile just makes you feel good watching him.

No one suggested we did anything clever to get them, just that it’s great we did.

Owens may well end up being the best next gen academy player taken in the draft.

We got very lucky with covid that he made it past pick 20

I think a whole lot of things had to land the right way. Didn't really play his best footy until late and in a new position, had lots of adaptability so didn't really have a set position, questions about disposal quality etc. It's just one of those lucky breaks that you sometimes get but rarely at St Kilda. Don't think we had any input into him sliding though.

I think a whole lot of things had to land the right way. Didn't really play his best footy until late and in a new position, had lots of adaptability so didn't really have a set position, questions about disposal quality etc. It's just one of those lucky breaks that you sometimes get but rarely at St Kilda. Don't think we had any input into him sliding though.
No we didn’t have any impact at all in him sliding

We got kissed on the dick that covid hit just as he was building into a quality year.

He was building nicely in the NAB league and then killed it when he got his chance in the Metro v Country game.

If he had of continued that form he wasn’t making it past 20

Who cares, how we got them. Geelong didn't do anything to land Hawkins, he's helped them to a bunch of flags. Collingwood didn't do anything to land Daicos, he's probably the most influential player in the comp right now. We have Mitch and Windy on the list now, and hopefully they can prove to be as beneficial to our team going forward. Lord knows we need the luck.

The NAS pick deserves its props. First pick by Toice, a risk but paying off whilst Gringos boy Sinn struggling to get a game.

No we didn’t have any impact at all in him sliding

We got kissed on the dick that covid hit just as he was building into a quality year.

He was building nicely in the NAB league and then killed it when he got his chance in the Metro v Country game.

If he had of continued that form he wasn’t making it past 20

Also lucky that it was such a deep draft. Players that could have gone top 20 went right up into the 20s. I reckon he may have just slipped to us anyway. Just a lucky break, I'm not going to over think it and just be happy to have one.

The NAS pick deserves its props. First pick by Toice, a risk but paying off whilst Gringos boy Sinn struggling to get a game.

I wasn't that big on Sinn, I liked Ward, Hobbs, Sonsie and Rachele. Pretty glad we got Nas now, my main concern was that he was a massive flight risk. Luckily that didn't play out. That said I wouldn't have had him on my list regardless. He did well.

I was into Callaghan of the Sandy boys but he was never getting to us.

I wasn't that big on Sinn, I liked Ward, Hobbs, Sonsie and Rachele. Pretty glad we got Nas now, my main concern was that he was a massive flight risk. Luckily that didn't play out. That said I wouldn't have had him on my list regardless. He did well.

Callahan looks an absolute weapon. At the very least you think if NAS decided to go home in a few years we get an absolute premium. Could realistically be all Australian by that time.

I heard Hoyne on SEN talking about the system. It's designed to stir up debate and get hits. It think they do it to make headlines. I'm happy enough watching how good Owens is going without needing to be told he's in the best handful of players in the AFL due to being classified as a player in a certain position. He's obviously going very well but he's not elite yet.

Is he the guy who can't tell he's from his, and keeps talking about "he's ability".
Sounded intelligent until that point, at which he sounded like some bogan who didn't make it all the way through "John and Betty".

Or he read this version.

John has a ball it is he's ball.
Betty has a ball , it is she's ball.
John kicked Betty's ball over the fence.
Betty kicked John in he's balls.

At the time it was looking like all the good ones might be gone by the time it got to us, and we'd need to take Sinn.
I kind of preferred Hobbs but Wang was highly rated. Sinn was always going to go around about that level.

I was scared that NWM would he'd be some sort of seagull Brad Hill ( who was tracking pretty poorly at the time ) type or worse, and that he'd struggle to get the ball and end up de-listed after four or five seasons, but that was pretty much cleared up as soon as we saw him play. This year he's finding as much of the ball as Brad, and is slightly ahead on contested possessions.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back