Autopsy Round 7, 2020: Adelaide v St.Kilda *BYRNES DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win. 21 v 25 for most of the night in front of a hostile crowd.
Coffield looked so composed. I can see why we recruited Howard now.
Still not much return on investment with Hill
Genuinely think Hill was recruited for Marvel stadium. I remember Lethleans comments when he signed that he would “enjoy playing under the roof”. I really hope he starts to lift away from home.

On the win, the more I think about it the more important it gets. Let’s not forget we are fielding the youngest team in terms of age and games played, to get a first win at AO with a lot going against us is massive.

We had to win, and we did. ✅

Coffield really impresses me. It wasn’t much the sitting in the hole all night, but the fact he didn’t go back into his shell after some early clangers. That shows real growth.

Worried about Ross, I’ve liked the career he’s had but with a young bub at home, maybe his mind is elsewhere.

Thought Lonie looked like a bloke who was playing for his career tonight. Tried to show his worth by trying to do too much.
Ultimately I think he’s a smart footballer being played out of position due to his size. I think Sinclair comes in.

I thought Ryder stood up when we needed leaders. Showed his experience with his effort around the contest. I think we’re better with him in the middle... what a headache.

It’s nice to win in Adelaide again.

liked

Kings aborted marking attempt then tap to Lonie in the last quarter for a goal. The footy I.Q is strong in this one.
Steeles numbers, 13 clearances, 6 tackles, 19 contested possies.... Would make Lenny proud.
Coffield and Howard growing into a colossus as each week passes
Coffield in particular, there is something about him which screams future AA star player.
Greshams clearance work, so vital tonight.

disliked

Geary falling over in the backline under little pressure when the crows were trying to goal. His teammate saved the day.
Hill still not putting body on body
Ross was out there?
Membrey playing well below his best

Indifferent

Byrnes looked at sea against the older blokes. Not ready.

Howard's best game for us so far, he reminded me of Sam Fisher the way he pushed forward to nail that goal on the run.

He also reminded me of Goddard with the way he got fired up at the umpires, shows that he cares.'

He's turning into a great key defender too, along with Carlisle and Wilkie we have the key defensive posts covered.

Watching the highlights package on the AFL site , didn’t know Membrey was such a good left footed . Come on Eddie , you should be able to tell the difference when one kicks left and the other kicks right . Very poor commentary.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Umpiring was strange and plenty time for questions on elements of the performance but:

- The Saints have won just two games outside of Victoria in the last 36 months, and both of them were against Gold Coast by less than a kick.

For some reason our interstate games always seem to resemble a mugging ... surely we can't be that ill-disciplined JUST because we got on a plane?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That umpiring was an absolute disgrace. No, I’m not focusing only on the free kicks Adelaide got, but in general the umpiring tonight for both teams was disgusting.
It’s unpredictable and is taking over the game. Nobody wants to see one free kick every minute. Nobody wants to see 6 out of 7 goals coming directly from a free kick.
It’s killing the game.
Yeah this game was nearly unwatchable. This holding the ball interpretation is ludicrous and goes against the spirit of the game. Supporters should petition the afl.

Watching the highlights package on the AFL site , didn’t know Membrey was such a good left footed . Come on Eddie , you should be able to tell the difference when one kicks left and the other kicks right . Very poor commentary.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think he’s losing his marbles, so many poor calls tonight. I noticed it so many times. Riewoldt corrected him a couple times too lol.

The tap to geary,to butler showed he is. Made one bad call in the heat of the game. He is part of the reason we are so effective going forward
Why was it a bad call by Lonie. Gres had missed two from in front 20 metres out.

I am glad he grabbed the ball.

I think we are asking the wrong question. It shouldnt be "who do we replace him with" it should be "what does the team need to do to get him back into form?" At his best Ross averages 28 disposals a game and a bunch of clearances, you dont just give that kind of ability up.

Get some touches in the scratch matches like everyone else has to. People acting like being dropped is the end of the world. It's called working your way back, and not at the cost of the first team!

Yeah this game was nearly unwatchable. This holding the ball interpretation is ludicrous and goes against the spirit of the game. Supporters should petition the afl.
Agree, not sure why it was changed, I felt last year you could justify 9/10 decisions and I didn’t see it as a problem with the game. This year it is flip a coin.

For me the positives were Howard and Coffeild. I rated Howard and was wrapt to get him and tonight I think we saw what he can be. I didn't rate Coffield and thought he was a bust but his last few games have shown rapid improvement and tonight he ways a revelation.

The negatives - lots of players gone missing, most notably the limited impact Hill and Billings are having on games.

I watched Coffield during the first Marsh series game, where he got run down a few times, and still gave a sense of indecisiveness, and found myself wondering whether he would figure it out, after clearly bulking up a bit in the offseason ... bit of persistance and trust from the coach and he's starting to look bloody good.

Only game 24, but he's growing into a player who should go 150+, I'm thinking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back