Autopsy Round 7, 2020: Adelaide v St.Kilda *BYRNES DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Gresham BOG for mine.

His intensity and attack on the ball was first class tonight, you can question his disposal but he kept us in it in the 3rd quarter when we were struggling.

Steele, Howard, Ryder, Coffield and Carlisle were all good too, Butler, Kent, King and Lonie all played nice cameos up forward kicking much needed goals.

Ross and Hill better than last week but still disappointing.

Byrnes did a couple of good things but he looked out of his depth tbh, maybe we should give Bytel a chance next time.

All in all a pretty good win, we beat the Crows in Adelaide with a 29-19 free kick count against us so that's nothing to be sneezed at but we will need to be a hell of a lot better to beat Port, we need to bring our 2004 prelim A game.

We've won about 2 out of our last 20 games interstate and Adelaide Oval has been a graveyard. We win tonight by 4 goals and people are bemoaning the standard of the game. Give me a break. Just enjoy the win and the continued suffering we've inflicted on the Crows. Just look at the ladder and be happy. To use one of Ross Lyon's often used cliches, "just bank the 4 points and move on to next week."

And those talking about dropping Roma make me laugh. I'll give you 100/1 about him being dropped next week.

At the end of the day , a win is a win . After next weeks game none of us will be thinking about how ugly tonight’s win was . Good sides win ugly sometimes. How many times have we done well against a good side only for them to somehow win the game over the years ? With young players like King for example they are always going to drift in and out of the game until they get used to the speed of it .

The great thing is the number of players who can’t get into the team at the moment because of the younger players playing so well . Butler has been a huge surprise to me , I didn’t know he was half as good as he is . At the start of the season I didn’t even have him on my bench when I was picking my team for the year . And how they let Howard come to us astounds me , he looks so at home in defence and I think he will be there for years .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Win is a win and I’m pleased we finally won at AO. Thought we wouldn’t last. How does that work against better sides? It’s probably a loss so I’m not taking too much away from it.

Howard impressed but Steele was best afield. Best game I think I’ve seen from him. Coffield is showing his class now. Gresham was important in parts and Jones good early.

Issues for me are the ruck situation and a few individual players. Hill is a waste at the moment. Ross looks so far off it. Marshall and Ryder can’t play anywhere else but ruck and Marshall has to be the main man otherwise he’s a bit anonymous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An epic win. We had to show character and we did, against all the odds of last week, Crows home game (which always seems to influence weaker umpires), a 10 year losing streak on that ground and having to travel even further to get there. We had some real leaders tonight - Steele, Howard, Coffield, Ryder, Jones and Gresham the most prominent. And we didn't have to rely on the older blokes which is a bloody good thing because they're not up to it - never have been and never will be.

Lonie has blown it, time for Hind, or any-one who plays for the team. Interesting that Kent often motions to slow the play down. Is he settling the team down to avoid a play that's too risky, is he nervous and doesn't want to stuff it up, or is he giving himself time to think? Anyway, a much better game from him. The Membrey and King combo will work better over time. I suspect Membrey's poor start this season is due to a slightly different role to foster King's development, but only time will tell.

Butler is a gem. Hill will get better. He moves the length of the ground and seems to be too willing to defend rather than attack. As his confidence with his team mates grows, so will his output.

This is a really important win and has increased the potency of the beer/wine combo - you bloody beauties!!!

Wasn't it great to see hundred of SA Saints fans together and singing the song.

Great job guys, to hear the song loud and clear was fantastic. You guys have waited a decade to see us win live.

Big thumbs up.

In: Hanners, Robbo
Out: Byrne, Battle.

Maybe one or two more after a 5 day break.
As much as I love Robbo, I’d be reluctant to bring in another taller defender. Should be Sinclair. Need another runner/midfield rotation and he’s been in good form in the scratch matches. Also apart from Dixon and Marshall, Port have a dangerous small forward line.

Great win. 21 v 25 for most of the night in front of a hostile crowd.
Coffield looked so composed. I can see why we recruited Howard now.
Still not much return on investment with Hill

With regards to our rucks its not the end of the world for Ryder to chop out Marshall against guys like Obrien, Gawn and Grundy. They said its a week to week proposition. It essentially allows Marshal to develop whilst still remaining competitive. Especially in the Centre.

Coff was always going to come on. I have been his biggest fan since early in his draft year. People have to remember the two games after the break were essentially his first two in about 10 months. Since then I'd argue he's been in our top 5 most consistant. He still makes the occasional mistake but his confidence is increasing by the second. More impressive is that his defence has improved ten fold. He could genuinely be our Elliot Yeo.

Like Plugger said we need to find ways to get Brad Hill involved, especially early in the second half. We can;t afford to have a top 5 player playing at the level he is. Gresham will be fine too. he could have easily kicked 3 goals. He does need to learn how to move his way through the contest with his feet a little more so he can direct his insid e 50's a little better. Honestly though think he just needs some more luck.

Our ball movement out of defence is becoming a concern especially in the second halves. I think between marshall, King and Ryder/Battle/Membry?Marsh they are all getting to congested. We need to hold back a little more and read off the pack a little better. Perhaps play Butler around the ball more in the second half. This could also be an issue with the wingers. Need a bit more lead up.

Love our defence, for some reason Wilkie has struggled against Adelaide but he is a gun so will give him Benefit of the doubt. I love how they can all intercept mark though. In the second you could see how valuable it was. Between Clarke, Carlisle, Wilkie etc we're devleoping a really well ballanced defence.

We missed Long or Savage/Webster’s run and carry to break lines.

We still have a lot of improvement needed if we are going to match Port next week. We go into our shells as soon as the opposition pressure us and go back to the bang it down the line option. There were a number of occasions tonight when our small defenders should have had the courage to charge through the middle and become an option coming out of defence. We need to hold our nerve and play the corridor style of footy that wins games.

Room for improvement:

Ross had another quiet game if we had a replacment he would be dropped.
Membrey was well beaten.
Lonie selfish and has had 3 poor games in a row.
Hill better tonight but still a long way off his best.
Marshall its just not clicking for him yet this year.
Gresham has the yips in front of goal and needs to clean up his field kicking.
Geary quiet but did his job.
Clark quiet and not his usual slicing self.
Byrnes first game.
Battle nasty injuy - hopefully he comes up next week.

Positives:

Steele was huge tonight - stepped out of the shadows as a tagger only.
Coffield was a solid as a rock down back.
Ryder tap work and around the ground kept us in the game at times.
Jones had a brilliant first half quiter 2nd.
Howard displayed he is a competitive beast and I loved it.
Butler just keeps bobbing up at the right times.
Kent two important goals and is the score assist master.
King contributes each week but you can see he is going to be a star.
Carlisle is getting his confidence back and is getting better and more attacking each game.
Paton has already cemented his spot in the side - rock solid.
Wilkie not a spectactular game but never has a bad one.
Billings one of his quiter games, but contributed.

Port must be due for a loss after two close finishes - Go Saints!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back