Autopsy Round 7, 2020: Adelaide v St.Kilda *BYRNES DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

That umpiring was an absolute disgrace. No, I’m not focusing only on the free kicks Adelaide got, but in general the umpiring tonight for both teams was disgusting.
It’s unpredictable and is taking over the game. Nobody wants to see one free kick every minute. Nobody wants to see 6 out of 7 goals coming directly from a free kick.
It’s killing the game.

As terrible as some of the decisions were in that game we can't blame the umpiring for nearly throwing one away against the worst side in the comp. We just get scored against way too easily on the turnover, and it seems like as soon as teams start applying more pressure we struggle to deal with it.

4 points is 4 points and very happy we won, but that won't be one I will watch again. Oh and by the way, that moment when Lonie took the ball of Gresh from the deliberate in the 3rd quarter, I hope he copped a massive spray for that - extremely selfish.
This is true to a point but it also REALLY hurts when your pressure and tackling is basically either ignored or punished by the umpires. Lots of ducking into the tackle by Adelaide players and quite a few incorrect disposals blatantly ignored and players given a mountain of time to get rid of it.

So happy for Coffield. Last year a lot of questions were raised about his top ten selection in the draft . But this year he looks every bit as good as we hoped . The three young guns in Clark , Coffield and Paton have all had great years so far . They are keeping more experienced players like Webster , Savage and Dmac out of the team . Really the only way those guys might get in ahead of the young guns is through injury as their form is just too good at the moment .

And our new guys , Howard , Butler , Jones have been great .
Hill probably the only new guy to have struggled a bit but he has still done some good work . Ryder hasn’t played much but was important in the last quarter today and was always only going to play a small number of games unless The Prospect got injured .

Well done to the team who recruited the players who wanted to come to our club at the end of last season.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

As terrible as some of the decisions were in that game we can't blame the umpiring for nearly throwing one away against the worst side in the comp. We just get scored against way too easily on the turnover, and it seems like as soon as teams start applying more pressure we struggle to deal with it.

4 points is 4 points and very happy we won, but that won't be one I will watch again. Oh and by the way, that moment when Lonie took the ball of Gresh from the deliberate in the 3rd quarter, I hope he copped a massive spray for that - extremely selfish.
Apart from his tap to Geary in the 1st I thought he was pretty poor again. Fumbled badly tonight and tried to kick a 50 meter goal when he should of looked to handball off or go to the top of the square

Relieving Win. For large portions of the game we played the same as we did Vs Freo which is concerning. Happy to grind it out and find something when it was need.

Steele, Howard, Jones, Coff, Ryder and Butler all good.

Not sure why we brought Byrnes in to play the role he was given. Surely better suited to Hind or Sinclair. Not fair on the kid.

Ross can’t be persisted with. Half of his 9 touches put teammates undermore pressure then he was under. He did have more intensity today though and made a good contest to set up Gresh’s goal.

Out: Battle (conc), Ross, Byrnes.
In: Hanners, Robbo, Sinclair.

Byrnes unfortunate and not what you want to do to a debutant but that role isn’t the one for him.

Reckon they’ll drop Byrnes for Hanners and bring in Sinclair for Battle next week.

Not saying that’s what I’d do, just saying that’s what I think they’ll do.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sincs for Battle is exactly what I was thinking when I saw his face smashed in.
Byrnes didn’t get a decent role tonight, poor kid.

Also the double standards from the umpires had me pulling my hair out. More importantly the commmentators including Eddie who I usually enjoy were just continuing the narrative. Tex falls over they pay him a free kick a non holding the ball to Gresh they kick a goal. The deliberates against Butler. Our forwards get held all the time. We won the tackles by 11 but the lack of free kicks given was a disgrace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the way Ratts played Gresham tonight was perfect.

Gave him plenty of time up forward but kept throwing him in the middle when we needed a lift.

He had 7 clearances and should have kicked 3 goals.
His kicking for goal and in general play really needs some work though

Apart from his tap to Geary in the 1st I thought he was pretty poor again. Fumbled badly tonight and tried to kick a 50 meter goal when he should of looked to handball off or go to the top of the square
Selfish game from him tonight I thought.

He was going to have to take that kick anyway, but he was never kicking I'm the goal. Didn't even look for an option.

Even worse him trying to kick it from outside 50 when King had just taken 2 marks and kicked 2 goals.

This screams an issue with his confidence surrounding his game. In his mind he HAS to kick those two or three goals a game and he HAS to step up and be the one to do it even if its beyond his ability. The rest of his game for the most part was actually pretty decent and the goal he did kick was absolutely under a pressure point of the game, THATS where its needed.

Problem really is the comparison to "we need another Milne" when Milne was really a different player from a different time. Milne didnt have half the pressure that Lonie brings so we need to focus on the genuinely good things he brings.

Tepid performance, need enormous improvement next week or we’ll get flogged. Interesting to see who stood up in a must win game like this, it sure as hell wasn’t the captain and vice captain. Steele and Howard stood out all night, neither are even in the leadership group which is head scratching. Remember Steele’s breakout performance against West Coast a couple of years ago. I thought he would consistently play games like tonight and become a dominant inside mid. Still young enough for it to happen I guess.

A very good win. To get our first win at the ground, and the first against the Crows in forever, it doesn't really matter the quality of the game, just getting the win is what mattered. We were challenged too, and while we were lucky that the Crows missed chances, we have to mainly thank the backline. Carlisle, Howard, Coffield and Paton were all outstanding.

Steele obviously had an enormous game. It was good to see Jones have another pretty good game, not everything he did was perfect but he really got us going at the start of the game with his aggression and clearance work.

I'm just going to put this out there, I think Gresham is going under the radar this year and is having a bit of a breakout year. While we tend to focus on some of his mistakes (eg, 'that' kick for goal), his clearance work has been huge for us and I just thought he got really important clearances at vital stages of the game.

At some stage we need King to start playing four quarters. Love the look of him, but he needs to continue to impact games throughout. Really had his kicking boots on in the first and thought he might be headed for a bag.

Kent's set shot kicking was vital today. Clutch goals.

Ryder with 127 champion data score, had a bloody good game and while O'Brien was definitely the dominant ruck, Ryder did some important stuff especially in the last quarter. This can possibly be the advantage of the dual rucks, if we can run down the opposition ruck we might be able to take advantage in the last.

Anyway, it was a big, important win for the club. Back to Noosa and then back in Adelaide on Saturday, that's wild.

Relieving to get the win, I honestly thought they might run over us in the last.
Genuinely poor umpiring tonight. I try to not mention them but it was so inconsistent and also way too many free kicks in general.
Thought the effort was there all night, even though the skills aren't always spot on.
Byrnes looked out of his depth a bit and was too easily pushed off the ball but I'd be happy to see him get a couple of games together and see what he's capable of.
Also lost count how many times Ed called the wrong players name, reckon he called Kent Membrey every single time 😂

I for one absolutely loved Howard's little outbursts. Not because they were necessarily right ( that in my opinion was 100% a free to McAdams, clear chop of the arms and/or front on contact), but because I think one of the things that was brought up after the loss to Freo was the lack of on field voices telling team mates when they've done something wrong. Doug's had a couple of sprays throughout the night, but I think they were mainly justified. Someone needs to be telling the troops when their effort inst there, and I think Howard took that on himself to do that tonight, at times where the game was in the balance. I think it shows passion, and accountability. Also absolutely loved Coffs game tonight, looking really promising, as is most of the back line, which is great, because it is probably our most inexperienced line

I didnt think so either, but he just isnt getting numbers to be really damaging.

Talking about Howard, despite the fact it gave away a 50 I like that he gave the umpire lip. It was clearly punching the ball before he even touched the player's arms and the umpiring was just ******* us all night. I hope he gave it to him good.

The two highlights of the night for me:

1. Dougs massive goal
2. Dougs telling the ump to get f!@#ed

Well worth the 15m penalty directly in front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back