List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

To those being critical of our drafting and list management … from 2011 onwards (players just finishing any impact), here is the list of teams to have finished bottom 5, along with any ‘quality gifts’ received along the way from f/s, academy etc….- I’ve only included quality:

Suns : 11 times finished bottom 5 (plus Jed Walter, Ethan Read, Jake Rogers and Bowes)
Lions : 6 (plus Ashcroft… soon to be x2. Fletcher. Hipwood. Kitty Coleman)
Demons: 5 (plus Viney. Brayshaw… pick-3 for losing Frawley ..haha)
Saints : 5 (Owens and Windhager academy)
Blues: 5
Roos: 5 (McDonald. Thomas. Duursma .. pick 3 for losing McKay ..haha)
Giants: 4 (Hopper, Perryman, Cumming, Green)
Dockers: 4 (Henry)
Dogs: 3 (Darcy, JUH, Croft, West)
Bombers: 3 (Daniher, Davey)
Hawks : 3
Crows : 4 (Michalanney f/s)
Power: 2 (Mead and Burgoyne f/s)
Swans: 2 (Heeney. Mills. Gulden. Campbell. Blakey)
Eagles: 2 (Waterman f/s)
Pies: 1 (Darcy Moore, Daicos, Daicos, Quaynor)
Cats: zero
Tigers: zero (MRJ f/s)

So is it any wonder we might be in a bit of a hole with our list? FMD … on top of not a single bottom-5 finish in 13 years, we’ve gotten barely a thing from any ‘gifts’. Even Sydney have 2 x bottom 4 finishes on top of 5+ quality gifts in recent years.

Lions have 6 x bottom 5 finishes, plus soon to be 2 x #1 quality players in the Ashcroft brothers, plus Hipwood, Jaspar Fletcher and Coleman.

So we need to be realistic with our ability to rebuild given the lack of any lowly finishes and completely bare cupboard from lucky gifts from which other clubs have absolutely gorged themselves on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah so considering all that, wouldn't it make the trades we made for Hopper & Taranto a bad list management decision?

We desperately needed young talent in-coming and we traded away 2 years of the best 4 picks we had. How was that smart?

I also note that the Cats are in the same position on that list - but due to superior drafting, trading and free-agency moves, they are in a considerably better situation than us, despite their last flag being 18 months ago.

We had a tough path after our success, sure, but to say it absolves us of blame for our situation is a very soft rule of judgement.

There were quite a few people in these forums that have been pointing them out as we go after the last few years too. The ones that were pointed out, indeed proved to be terrible decisions. It was hardly "unavoidable"

Why would Moyle come to us? Witts is going to retire well before Nankervis does. Even if he leaves he had better suitors in Pies and Dees at least.

'Because we are going to pay him a shit load of money

The Suns 18 months ago were giving away first round picks to TAKE first round draft pick players with oversized contracts.

He would come to us because we offer him an extra $500k-750k over 5 years.

The one thing the Suns can't win is a bidding war, especially if they are taking Rioli off our hands. We would and should be able to out-bid both the Pies & Dee's also. And no f-ing way would i be going to Melbourne as long as Gawn is still fit. Guy could still be playing in 2028, he is the generational ruckman of the last 2 decades

Yeah so considering all that, wouldn't it make the trades we made for Hopper & Taranto a bad list management decision?

We desperately needed young talent in-coming and we traded away 2 years of the best 4 picks we had. How was that smart?

I also note that the Cats are in the same position on that list - but due to superior drafting, trading and free-agency moves, they are in a considerably better situation than us, despite their last flag being 18 months ago.

We had a tough path after our success, sure, but to say it absolves us of blame for our situation is a very soft rule of judgement.

There were quite a few people in these forums that have been pointing them out as we go after the last few years too. The ones that were pointed out, indeed proved to be terrible decisions. It was hardly "unavoidable"
Name the young talent that we should have got over Taranto and Hopper and explain how they would be helping the likes of Dow & McAuliffe in the midfield or how they'd be impacting as key forwards alongside Lynch?

You have picks 12 19 & 31 from 2022 and pick 8 from last year to work with.

The Snitch: Richmond Tigers duo Shai Bolton, Liam Baker meet with West Coast and Fremantle in trip home

The SnitchThe West Australian

Thu, 20 June 2024 11:00AM

One of The Snitch’s favourites back when screw-in-studs were a thing and fish and chips were still wrapped in newspaper was crafty Richmond forward Kevin Bartlett.

KB, or “Hungry” as he was known, was a weapon for his coaches, Tommy Hafey and Tony Jewell, a player they could run through the middle and throw forward knowing whatever happened goals would flow.

Bartlett wore number 29 on one of those old lace up jerseys.

Ahhhh, 29. It’s a number close to my heart.

Mrs Snitch and I once had a wonderful holiday following the 29th parallel north, which took us through such enchanting and often inhospitable countries like Algeria, Libya, India, China, Mexico and the US. We had a delightful mai tai on that trip at Latitude 29 bar on Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

I’ll admit I’m a bit of a maths geek – Eddie Woo’s Wonderful World of Maths is on my bedside table as we speak – and my favourite number is, you guessed it, 29.

Did you know? 29 is the sum of three consecutive squares, 22 + 32 + 42. It’s also the sixth Sophie Germain prime, a tetranacci number and an Eisenstein prime.

Anyway, back to Bartlett. He didn’t have much hair but boy could did he know where the goals were and operated with a kick to handball ratio of 29:1.

So it won’t surprise anyone that the number 29 at Tigerland is still one of The Snitch’s favourites.

Shai Bolton can do it all.

He can electrify a midfield with a sidestep and a shimmy, take a hang on someone’s head and, like Bartlett, sure knows where the goals are.

Shai’s everywhere on the footy field and he’s been everywhere on a trip back to his home town of Perth this week, weaving his way through meetings with representatives of West Coast and Fremantle.

He even appeared at a press conference on Thursday morning, to help kick off Education Minister Tony Buti’s Running Challenge to promote health and fitness ahead of this year’s Perth Running Festival.

Good on him for promoting a good cause.

Education Minister Tony Buti launches his running challenge at Shelley Primary School. Pictured running with some children is Richmond player Shai Bolton. YES

Dockers or Eagles fans should not be put off by the fact Bolton is in year one of a five-year deal with the Tigers.

What do contracts mean in these times of lateral trades? Anything is possible in this modern AFL world and Fremantle and West Coast have deep wish lists and even deeper pockets.

Another Tiger with a classy pedigree, Liam Baker has also been back in his native State for casual chats.

The Snitch even believes the words five years were mentioned in Baker’s presence.

Like The Snitch revealed a fortnight ago when Chad Warner was a guest at Crown, courtesy of the Dockers, you have to aim high these days.

So where does the S man see them fitting in, best-case scenario?

Liam Baker. AFL Photos

Wouldn’t Warner look good alongside Harley Reid in that West Coast midfield? It would be a duo to rival Batman and Robin, Marlin and Dory, SpongeBob and Patrick, Simon and Garfunkel, Shaggy and Scooby, Woody and Buzz Lightyear, Shrek and Donkey, Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar.

Just close your eyes Fremantle fans and imagine Bolton at half-forward? After all, Son Son is closer to the end of his career than the start.

I’m sure Cooper Simpson, the current owner of Fremantle’s 29 jumper, could be convinced to hand it over if the Dockers land their man.

Just like Pav, Bolton would fill it well.

it'd depend how things fall with the draft etc, but if it means we end up with 5 picks inside 25. Then next season if we can have a healthy list and some of the draftees and young guys pop we are every chance to rise up the ladder.

But yes worse case scenario is a top 3 pick for picks in the 10's but if there are still guys we rate on the board i'd still be tempted to give it a shot
Disagree, what if it’s pick 1?

Disagree, what if it’s pick 1?
Yep

Pick 19...

secret smell GIF

Not quite the same ring to it

The Snitch: Richmond Tigers duo Shai Bolton, Liam Baker meet with West Coast and Fremantle in trip home

The SnitchThe West Australian

Thu, 20 June 2024 11:00AM

One of The Snitch’s favourites back when screw-in-studs were a thing and fish and chips were still wrapped in newspaper was crafty Richmond forward Kevin Bartlett.

KB, or “Hungry” as he was known, was a weapon for his coaches, Tommy Hafey and Tony Jewell, a player they could run through the middle and throw forward knowing whatever happened goals would flow.

Bartlett wore number 29 on one of those old lace up jerseys.

Ahhhh, 29. It’s a number close to my heart.

Mrs Snitch and I once had a wonderful holiday following the 29th parallel north, which took us through such enchanting and often inhospitable countries like Algeria, Libya, India, China, Mexico and the US. We had a delightful mai tai on that trip at Latitude 29 bar on Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

I’ll admit I’m a bit of a maths geek – Eddie Woo’s Wonderful World of Maths is on my bedside table as we speak – and my favourite number is, you guessed it, 29.

Did you know? 29 is the sum of three consecutive squares, 22 + 32 + 42. It’s also the sixth Sophie Germain prime, a tetranacci number and an Eisenstein prime.

Anyway, back to Bartlett. He didn’t have much hair but boy could did he know where the goals were and operated with a kick to handball ratio of 29:1.

So it won’t surprise anyone that the number 29 at Tigerland is still one of The Snitch’s favourites.

Shai Bolton can do it all.

He can electrify a midfield with a sidestep and a shimmy, take a hang on someone’s head and, like Bartlett, sure knows where the goals are.

Shai’s everywhere on the footy field and he’s been everywhere on a trip back to his home town of Perth this week, weaving his way through meetings with representatives of West Coast and Fremantle.

He even appeared at a press conference on Thursday morning, to help kick off Education Minister Tony Buti’s Running Challenge to promote health and fitness ahead of this year’s Perth Running Festival.

Good on him for promoting a good cause.

Education Minister Tony Buti launches his running challenge at Shelley Primary School. Pictured running with some children is Richmond player Shai Bolton. YES

Dockers or Eagles fans should not be put off by the fact Bolton is in year one of a five-year deal with the Tigers.

What do contracts mean in these times of lateral trades? Anything is possible in this modern AFL world and Fremantle and West Coast have deep wish lists and even deeper pockets.

Another Tiger with a classy pedigree, Liam Baker has also been back in his native State for casual chats.

The Snitch even believes the words five years were mentioned in Baker’s presence.

Like The Snitch revealed a fortnight ago when Chad Warner was a guest at Crown, courtesy of the Dockers, you have to aim high these days.

So where does the S man see them fitting in, best-case scenario?

Liam Baker. AFL Photos

Wouldn’t Warner look good alongside Harley Reid in that West Coast midfield? It would be a duo to rival Batman and Robin, Marlin and Dory, SpongeBob and Patrick, Simon and Garfunkel, Shaggy and Scooby, Woody and Buzz Lightyear, Shrek and Donkey, Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar.

Just close your eyes Fremantle fans and imagine Bolton at half-forward? After all, Son Son is closer to the end of his career than the start.

I’m sure Cooper Simpson, the current owner of Fremantle’s 29 jumper, could be convinced to hand it over if the Dockers land their man.

Just like Pav, Bolton would fill it well.
What a deluded shiteater.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The west Australian has an article claiming Bolton and Baker have met both Fremantle and West coast while back home over the bye

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reckon the club has told them they should consider the option. If that wasn't the case both players wouldn't have even met them at all.

Full list rebuild confirmed. :tearsofjoy:

Here I was delisting him in my own list management fantasy world 😁
Well I'm guessing the contract is bare minimum so if Laura Kane gets her way it will be worth no points anyway. LOL

Maybe they have a young Victorian player to swap with? Harley Reid sounds about right.

I get Green and Smith confused

Which one is Steely? The small forward or the half back?

Either way good luck to him if that’s the case
The forward that's really an undersized mid that we are trying to shoehorn into another position.

The forward that's really an undersized mid that we are trying to shoehorn into another position.
Should keep him on the list and do the baker trade

But actually send him to WA and keep baker under Greens name

West Coast will never know

Name the young talent that we should have got over Taranto and Hopper and explain how they would be helping the likes of Dow & McAuliffe in the midfield or how they'd be impacting as key forwards alongside Lynch?

You have picks 12 19 & 31 from 2022 and pick 8 from last year to work with.

Whatever the club had as its best available.

You don't get "lucky" with draft picks & pick up elite talent unless you actually use the picks.

Also, asking that question 1-2 years from that draft is pointless. Ask me in 5 years and i will easily pick through the list and give you a vast list of embarrassing misses. I don't pretend to be a young talent scout. never have. i give nil opinions of incoming draft picks because im one of the few people here that knows there place when it comes to that stuff. we know SFA except information we are regurgitating from other articles, post etc

I only rate Taranto. I legit think Hopper is a lowly skilled inside mid, injury prone AF. do not rate him. At all. Dime a dozen mid who doesn't move your needle at all. He is somewhere inbetween Shane Tucks best year and his career average in regards to quality. Definitely not worth a top 10 pick, let alone the rest.

If the club doesn't back itself to get a pro rata better talent(s) than Taranto when having 2x top 10 picks + 2xtop 25 picks, then they are hopeless and all should be removed.

I actually cant believe people are still wanting to defend that awful trade. 2 mids from the same team, at the same time trade..... it was desperate at the time and a lot of us told you as much

Any chance of picking up a Stengle, Acres, Sharp type for free or **** all this year? That'd be nice.
Stengle was done for buying cocaine outside the footy season wasn't he? Obviously he knew he would not get tested out of competition. That would suggest that he is pretty clever at hiding whatever drug use/addiction he has. The problem is that with the AFL drugs policy we might get Stengle and discover he has a serious drug problem and already has two strikes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back