Women's Footy The AFLW Thread – Week 9 vs. Hawthorn @ Cazalys Stadium, Cairns (Thursday, 7:45pm AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it will be a problem, and in fact, I think this Marquee Player rule has almost been created specifically for Daisy to stay at Melbourne, she's one of the key figures of the club, not just from the women's team perspective, but as a whole.

What's great for us, she's heads and shoulders the best player in the game, and little girls who start to tune in next year will all want to have Demons' guernsey's with #31 on their backs. That along with all the boys with #1's, #7's and #11's, its going to put the club in a great future position.

Agree with that, though I didn't think that rule was specifically announced yet? Or did I miss that?

No idea, just read something about it in one of the articles someone linked. Would seem to be the case because Tayla/Taylor Harris has mozied up to Brisvegas and Collingwood have pinched one of the Doggies for an off-field role.

No idea, just read something about it in one of the articles someone linked. Would seem to be the case because Tayla/Taylor Harris has mozied up to Brisvegas and Collingwood have pinched one of the Doggies for an off-field role.
I've got a feeling that some of these moves might be because clubs have been shocked by the Melbourne moves. I think Daisy staying at the MFC was expected, but Michelle Cowan's contract would have caught a lot of teams by surprise.

And I agree with that, but why detract from the 2017 competition announcement by discussing this? If each team can sign a marquee player or whatever, then it's pretty obvious she'd be the one for us.

I believe she was asked a question along the lines of 'what will happen if you don't play at Melbourne,' so hardly her choice to talk about it, and the headline/Striker's comment takes what Daisy said out of proportion.

Very pleased with this.

One issue I hadn't thought about wrt growing the game and interest, is how do you get other Victorian fans from other clubs interested. Who is a Saints/Richmond/Geelong fan going to support?

I'm guessing it mostly won't be Collingwood or Carlton. Haha. So somehow we have to get them on board with us (Dogs an option too of course). Hope the marketing department is chewing this one over.

The WBBL made good progress this year but because it's aligned to cities it's a lot easier to get support. In a perfect world there would be some way we could have had new branding for our women's team but still aligned with our club. Of course this has multiple problems too and I do like that we're one club with two teams.

I wonder if there is some way you could offer a membership package to other clubs supporters. Ie we enter an agreement with Geelong for example that their members can add a womens league membership to their regular (Geelong) membership, but for the WFL they are aligned with us...

As much as I love the fact that the Dees have their own women's team, Mark Fine on SEN had it right with his suggestion that it should have been a State of Origin style set up. Seeing the Big V out there again up against SA would have got the masses interested far more than the current set up.

In terms of crowds and initial interest yes SOO would have been a good option.

In terms of long-term sustainability the club option is the right way to go I think. The teams use the existing club infrastructure and systems.

No reason why SOO can't be a feature of women's footy though. Wouldn't be surprised if it became a thing.

I believe she was asked a question along the lines of 'what will happen if you don't play at Melbourne,' so hardly her choice to talk about it, and the headline/Striker's comment takes what Daisy said out of proportion.

That doesn't sound like the media at all! ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is going to become my hub for updating all things women's team. With clubs starting to poach coaches and the marquee nominations due tomorrow, it's going to start heating up fairly quickly.

She does. I think she's a queenslander from memory.
Is it 2 marquee players per side and does anyone know when they get named?
It's two, apparently lists were submitted to the AFL yesterday.

She does. I think she's a queenslander from memory.
Is it 2 marquee players per side and does anyone know when they get named?
Tayla is sadly, 100% a Lion. They even went to the effort to announce her as their first signing, but then were quickly slapped down by the AFL given it was before they had announced licences, and obviously well before the marquee players are announced.

Good old Lions, they seriously can't do anything right.

Michelle Cowan will be stepping down from her roles as player development coach and women's team coach.

For family reasons, Michelle will be unable to relocate to Melbourne to coach our women’s team in 2017.

Michelle Cowan will be stepping down from her roles as player development coach and women's team coach.

For family reasons, Michelle will be unable to relocate to Melbourne to coach our women’s team in 2017.
:( not surprised though

Sam Lane was reporting around 1.30pm that Fremantle have signed Michelle Cowan - better outcome for her with her family based in Perth.

I wouldn't be surprised if former Melbourne footballer Shaun Smith throws his hat into the ring for the Melbourne women's coaching gig.
He is currently coaching the St Kilda Sharks in the VFL Women's comp - on a side note they are playing away at Melb Uni on Sunday arvo in a big 2nd v 3rd match.

I think she'll be a big boon to Freo, not just the womens team but the mens as well, she has trained as a development coach under Macca and they're heading into a rebuild. Good luck to her (not too much luck)

Understand why she had to leave, but its a bit painful to see her walk straight to Fremantle. They've got their tails up again about this 'coup', when she's only joined them because her husband can't relocate. Tough to see our hard work evaporate, especially to those chirpy, Premiership-less twats who think they have a God-given right to Jesse Hogan.

Understand why she had to leave, but its a bit painful to see her walk straight to Fremantle. They've got their tails up again about this 'coup', when she's only joined them because her husband can't relocate. Tough to see our hard work evaporate, especially to those chirpy, Premiership-less twats who think they have a God-given right to Jesse Hogan.

^This

Arrogant campaigners

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy The AFLW Thread – Week 9 vs. Hawthorn @ Cazalys Stadium, Cairns (Thursday, 7:45pm AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back