Women's Footy The AFLW Thread – Week 9 vs. Hawthorn @ Cazalys Stadium, Cairns (Thursday, 7:45pm AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a whack on the women's team there mate. There's finer female players than there is the toump. He wouldn't even make captain

He has been a standout at training though! Set to have a breakout year just in time for the new competition :drunk:

He has been a standout at training though! Set to have a breakout year just in time for the new competition :drunk:
Richmond fans said the same thing about Addam Maric :)

I am so proud of our club that we were so visionary with all of this.

Over the past ten years, we have not made many great decisions - but this was one of them.

This is going to resonate. And F-I, I want to see them play !

For anyone interested the woman's match for this weekend between us and the bulldogs will be live streamed on the MFC website after of course the mens match has concluded. So at around 5:10 stream is expected to start

Bump.

First teams expected to be announced today at 11am. Although the media is currently reporting that the first to licenses will be granted to us and Brisbane

Alright never mind what i just said. Carlton and Collingwood have been awarded licenses along with us and the Western Bulldogs (which us and the bulldogs where never in doubt)

Still not completely confirmed yet by the AFL

Alright never mind what i just said. Carlton and Collingwood have been awarded licenses along with us and the Western Bulldogs (which us and the bulldogs where never in doubt)

Still not completely confirmed yet by the AFL

Ms Pearce, welcome to the big time. Inaugural captain.

8 teams is too many
I think 8 is just right. 6 is exceedingly small - you have a season finished in 7 weeks.

Top 4 play finals, 3 week finals (1v2 qual, 3v4 elim; loser 1v2 v winner 3v4 semi; winner 1v2 v winner semi GF). Great structure, have the GF line up with the break between NAB 4 and Rd1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as the talent pool goes, 8 is too many.

As far as having a functional league, 8 is the bare minimum required.

Hopefully, as interest grows, the talent pool will grow rather quickly as girls realise that playing footy is a viable option for a professional career. They are also already trying to attract athletes from other sports.

It will take time but it looks promising.

I think 8 is just right. 6 is exceedingly small - you have a season finished in 7 weeks.

Top 4 play finals, 3 week finals (1v2 qual, 3v4 elim; loser 1v2 v winner 3v4 semi; winner 1v2 v winner semi GF). Great structure, have the GF line up with the break between NAB 4 and Rd1.

Dunno I think 6 would have been better, Top team straight to the GF and 2/3 play off for the right to face them
Their isnt enough female talent to have 8 good teams, quality of the games will be an issue

I just the wish the competition would be played over in the winter, rather than in the preseason when nobody is bothered even turning up the mens game

Crowds will be low for this no matter when its played, people dont even go watch the VFL and its the second best competition in Australia
Would say the VFL is behind the SANFL and WAFL, VFL is a mess. Anyway that's not the point, what i'm saying is it stands more of a chance being at a time when people would want to watch it, People hardly want to watch AFL in the summer. Back on your point if VFL was played in the summer NOBODY would turn up at all.

That an the official AFL women's teams will not being playing at AFL grounds, except for maybe subi and Etihad

Exciting times and it had to happen at some point. The talent pool will obviously be shallow for the better part of a decade but with Aussie rules being a viable option for young female athletes the pool should grow exponentially.

I suspect the first expansion will place second teams all the other states first up before a 5th vic side is formed

Also my two cents re; 8 teams is that Fremantle, Brisbane, Adelaide and GWS will essentially be state sides so I have no problem with that at all, the issue is - is the Victorian talent pool deep enough? A cynical person would say the only reason there are 4 vic teams at all is to appease the big clubs, ie; Carlton Collingwood.

That an the official AFL women's teams will not being playing at AFL grounds, except for maybe subi and Etihad

You mean the women won't be playing as a curtain raiser for AFL fixtures, or they just won't do that at places like the MCG or SCG? If they're not going to piggyback the men's games, they'll be lucky to get 50 people to a game.

Also my two cents re; 8 teams is that Fremantle, Brisbane, Adelaide and GWS will essentially be state sides so I have no problem with that at all, the issue is - is the Victorian talent pool deep enough? A cynical person would say the only reason there are 4 vic teams at all is to appease the big clubs, ie; Carlton Collingwood.
Hopefully players not picked up in the interstate sides get an option to go to Vic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy The AFLW Thread – Week 9 vs. Hawthorn @ Cazalys Stadium, Cairns (Thursday, 7:45pm AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back