Stenglein- How many weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm probably the only Port supporter who'll say this, but I didn't think there was anything reportable in it. I didn't see all the replays, but I suspect he had his elbow tucked in, and was more or less standing his ground. Not much else he could have done. If he did catch Eckerman with his forearm or with the point of his elbow, then it might be worth a suspension for striking - otherwise, nothing (definitely not a charge/rough play).

Of course, it is an interesting point that if Pickett had done it, people would be whinging all over the place.

Porthos said:
I agree, its very simple.

Reckless contact (intent to make contact, but its worse than intended)
Head high
Moderate impact (would've been forceful even if legal)
Off-play (the two players were not actively disputing the ball)

Its a tough situation to be in, but there you go. I dare say off-play will be a dropped component, but if any of the rest is, the video review board has ignored the book and shown Stenglein enormous leniency.

Reckless contact?? It was a controlled bump with the elbow tucked in that slipped high because of Eckermann's stumbling. So remove Reckless Contact and remove Off-play because we all know it was in the play. He has nothing to answer for apart from the free kick that was given for high contact.

If it was a controlled bump, it was an intentional head high hit. Thats actually a worse scenario from a suspension point of view.

Porthos said:
If it was a controlled bump, it was an intentional head high hit. Thats actually a worse scenario from a suspension point of view.

Had Eckermann being standing up straight it would have been a perfectly fine hip and shoulder, Eckermann was falling over, it went high, free kick....nothing more in it.

jod23 said:
Reckless contact?? It was a controlled bump with the elbow tucked in that slipped high because of Eckermann's stumbling.

I see you edited.

If it was a controlled bump, then how did it `slip' high? It didn't hit Eckermann's shoulder at all, it was straight at the noggin...and if it was controlled then how could that happen?

It was either a reckless hit (he was looking away, intended contact but not that much), or an intentional hit (he looke daway after lining Eckermann up)...neither is less than I stated.

jod23 said:
Yeah your right....Stinger being the horribly dirty player he is, saw that Eckermann was stumbling and he obviously thought to him
Exact intent is irrelevant, thats why its reckless!

Porthos said:
I see you edited.

If it was a controlled bump, then how did it `slip' high? It didn't hit Eckermann's shoulder at all, it was straight at the noggin...and if it was controlled then how could that happen?

It was either a reckless hit (he was looking away, intended contact but not that much), or an intentional hit (he looke daway after lining Eckermann up)...neither is less than I stated.

Read my last post....

jod23 said:
Had Eckermann being standing up straight it would have been a perfectly fine hip and shoulder
Yet what it actually was, was a head high hit, caused by an intended contact. A reckless bump, in fact!

On the contrary, as he hasn't been correctly reported, it is exactly the time to go on about it.

We, after all, demand consistency.

I think hes in trouble.

You cant tell me that he didnt know he was going to make heavy, high contact with Eckermann. Despite what happened over the years, I think in this era, hes in trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way i see it is Stengleins hit was an exact mirror image of the Mark Johnson hit on Rhyce Shaw. Mark Johnson got off and so then in my opinion so should Stenglein. The only difference between those 2 incidents was the color of the jumpers.

F-U said:
The way i see it is Stengleins hit was an exact mirror image of the Mark Johnson hit on Rhyce Shaw. Mark Johnson got off and so then in my opinion so should Stenglein. The only difference between those 2 incidents was the color of the jumpers.

Spot on... 0

F-U said:

IIRC, wasnt Johnson's more of a 2 handed barge. Different sort of shirtfront.

This thread sickens me and is a disgrace to not only football but all of the Southern Hemisphere. Stenglein will get no weeks and will not even get reported... BECAUSE that punk Eckerman just fumbled the ball, so if he wasnt such a woose he would have taken it cleanly, so he was within 5m of the ball... secondly the elbow was in at point of impact, and as Wayne CCarey pointed out its a natural thing to follow through froma bump by throwing out the elbow.

Anyone here who thinks hell get suspended can just die. And as for Eckerman being young, should all first year players be tackled softer and given more free kicks, you are a joke mate. And whats more, as if Stenglein thought about who he was about to bump. This thread is a disgrace, and the person who started it should do everyone here a favour and off himself

Furthermore, how any of you toilets can compare white Stenglein to filthy Pickett is beyond belief... Pickett is a thug and if he wasnt a professional footballer would no doubt be serving three life sentences for thuggery and the such.

Bretski said:
going by what wayne cary said, he'll probably get nothing, cary was right i reckon
carey talked it down to save his ex-team mates scalp

he is by far the worst commentator ever

davey_magik i wish you were Ben Eckermen. Then you wouldn't be posting this dribble on bigfooty, you would be lying in hospital, hopefully with no visits from family or friends.

Better still, hopefully the hit from Stenglien would knock some sense into you, as that is the only better result than actually killing you.

If you think that Stenglien deserves "4-6 weeks" for that, you must believe that the Pope is alive.

Its called AFL FOOTBALL, and if you can't handle it, go watch Port Adelaide play.

Stenglien will get 0 weeks. If he gets 1 or more at least I will admitting to putting the weed in Schapelle Corby's bag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back