2nds Should the Crows reserves be in the SANFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rucci wrote yesterday the SANFL clubs want a cap on crows players in the SANFL.

We pay $420k to play in the SANFL and it would cost only and extra $520k to play in the vfl without restrictions and complaints.

Surely we should just say FU and go.

ADelaide pays that, but each SANFL club would have a turnover of about $5 million. $50K each is a help, but hardly the defining difference. Much of the $5 million goes to junior development.

The attitude of FU and just go to the VFL presumes the VFL would have Adelaide and Port. On top of the estimated $520K, I doubt the VFL clubs would want to spend on travel, even if they didn't ask for a licence fee as the SANFL does.

The alternative is the Amateur League. Good luck with getting anything meaningful out of a game against Rostrevor Old Collegians or similar.

ADelaide pays that, but each SANFL club would have a turnover of about $5 million. $50K each is a help, but hardly the defining difference. Much of the $5 million goes to junior development.

The attitude of FU and just go to the VFL presumes the VFL would have Adelaide and Port. On top of the estimated $520K, I doubt the VFL clubs would want to spend on travel, even if they didn't ask for a licence fee as the SANFL does.

The alternative is the Amateur League. Good luck with getting anything meaningful out of a game against Rostrevor Old Collegians or similar.
From the way it read the $520k would include travel as they aren't paying the annual fee to join.

We don't have to do anything with Port, they can stay.

Rucci wrote yesterday the SANFL clubs want a cap on crows players in the SANFL.

We pay $420k to play in the SANFL and it would cost only and extra $520k to play in the vfl without restrictions and complaints.

Surely we should just say FU and go.

I agree win / win isnt that what everyone wants, not sure if its a FU in that sense as it will be one greatly accepted and wanted by the sound of it

Honestly we should just leave them be let them have their little ammos comp so their supporters can pretend it's still the 1980s, take out all the money we give them, with that channel 7 won't give a stuff about them they'll leave too with no reserve sides to broadcast, all that's left of their media relevancy will start dying off and soon enough the only time you'll ever hear of the SANFL in the mainstream media will be when another old club is facing administration
Of course, who gives a stuff about junior development :huh:

I agree win / win isnt that what everyone wants, not sure if its a FU in that sense as it will be one greatly accepted and wanted by the sound of it
More a FU to the clubs who want the money but with strings attached

Of course, who gives a stuff about junior development :huh:

The AFL in all seriousness should of taken over all junior development like they do with the TAC cup under the proposed 'AFL South Australia' banner, it's not like the SANFL clubs even under the U/18 system have been producing anymore 'elite' talent then it did under their old system.

More a FU to the clubs who want the money but with strings attached
Fair enough, I can see your perspective but how is that any different to Adelaide's position of participating in a comp and breaking its salary cap thirteen fold? There's always strings attached on both sides of this arrangement and argument.
The thing is to find an outcome that suits everyone to a reasonable degree.

Fair enough, I can see your perspective but how is that any different to Adelaide's position of participating in a comp and breaking its salary cap thirteen fold? There's always strings attached on both sides of this arrangement and argument.
The thing is to find an outcome that suits everyone to a reasonable degree.
They are not breaking their salary cap, they were allowed in knowing the salary cap for the club would be way above the local clubs.

They shouldn't have been let in if this was an issue.

They are not breaking their salary cap, they were allowed in knowing the salary cap for the club would be way above the local clubs.

They shouldn't have been let in if this was an issue.
Oh FFS. Seriously?
They're breaking the SANFL salary cap, (hence strings attached for Adelaide and Port to have reserves teams in the SANFL), in order for that to happen the clubs demand some rules are in place, (more strings attached), these are and always have been subject to change.
If you can't see that there's strings attached on both sides of this issue then you clearly can't see the bigger picture to this problem.

Oh FFS. Seriously?
They're breaking the SANFL salary cap, (hence strings attached for Adelaide and Port to have reserves teams in the SANFL), in order for that to happen the clubs demand some rules are in place, (more strings attached), these are and always have been subject to change.
If you can't see that there's strings attached on both sides of this issue then you clearly can't see the bigger picture to this problem.
Oh FFS. Seriously?

I've heard about you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind me butting in, but why are the SANFL clubs so eager to jump at shadows? It's been three? Years now with this reserves system and neither reserves side has dominated or even come close to dominating. It seems like a fair system as it sits. Apparently there's issues because we pay our players more? That clearly doesn't translate into better players because as I said, neither reserves side has excelled in the SANFL. Plus half the players playing reserves are teenagers that are barely SANFL level It just seems like the SANFL clubs want to hold us back for no real reason.

Isn't there a saying about biting the hand that feeds you? Just seems like the SANFL clubs don't know their place.

Don't mind me butting in, but why are the SANFL clubs so eager to jump at shadows? It's been three? Years now with this reserves system and neither reserves side has dominated or even come close to dominating. It seems like a fair system as it sits. Apparently there's issues because we pay our players more? That clearly doesn't translate into better players because as I said, neither reserves side has excelled in the SANFL. Plus half the players playing reserves are teenagers that are barely SANFL level It just seems like the SANFL clubs want to hold us back for no real reason.

Isn't there a saying about biting the hand that feeds you? Just seems like the SANFL clubs don't know their place.
What hand is feeding the SANFL?
Port? Nup.
Adelaide? $40-50k per club?
Crowds are down, memberships are down and clubs are still struggling to make a profit.
Where's the benefit from your so called feeding hand?

You say no reserves team has dominated. Port 2014 won every final bar the GF....just.
2016, Adelaide won both finals very very easily bar the prelim. How is that not dominating?
Maybe drive down to Noarlunga, spend some of your gracious AFL money and see what they think.

Maybe look outside of your own little sphere of concern and see similar, or worse, trends in the WAFL and VFL.
Have you looked, do you know what's been happening?
I'm guessing not.

You say it comes down to just paying your AFL listed reserves players more, have you considered that they're drafted from a select group of players that state league clubs have no access to in the AFL draft?
Have you considered that state league clubs are hobbled by a salary cap under $400k?
Again, I'm guessing not.

You state that half your reserves teams are teenagers, where are your stats with this and have you considered that the SANFL clubs are blooding teenagers outside of the AFL draft also?
Have you done your research on this?
Again, permit me but I'm guessing not.
Answer these questions and ask yourself just who's jumping at shadows.

Port? Nup.
Crowds are down, memberships are down and clubs are still struggling to make a profit.

You say no reserves team has dominated. Port 2014 won every final bar the GF....just.
2016, Adelaide won both finals very very easily bar the prelim. How is that not dominating?
Maybe drive down to Noarlunga, spend some of your gracious AFL money and see what they think.

Maybe look outside of your own little sphere of concern and see similar, or worse, trends in the WAFL and VFL.
I'm guessing not.

You say it comes down to just paying your AFL listed reserves players more, have you considered that they're drafted from a select group of players that state league clubs have no access to in the AFL draft?
Have you considered that state league clubs are hobbled by a salary cap under $400k?
Again, I'm guessing not.

You state that half your reserves teams are teenagers, where are your stats with this and have you considered that the SANFL clubs are blooding teenagers outside of the AFL draft also?
And yet neither team won the flag so yes they did not dominate.
Channel 7 would pull its coverage of the afl clubs left which would then have a flow on effect on the sanfl teams being able to attract sponsorship money
The system we have is better than the alternatives for all parties but uou reap what you sow

And yet neither team won the flag so yes they did not dominate.
Channel 7 would pull its coverage of the afl clubs left which would then have a flow on effect on the sanfl teams being able to attract sponsorship money
The system we have is better than the alternatives for all parties but uou reap what you sow
Where's your proof that 7 would pull its coverage? Based on what?
They get paid to provide a service. You're telling me that a consistent 30k + to a GF isn't a good product when the VFL and WAFL get 15-20k? Not to mention consistently better minor round crowds.

Just because neither has won a GF doesn't mean they haven't dominated finals. Again tell that to Centrals and South about those two games this year.
The model that accepts these two reserves teams is based on tweaking a model that suits all parties. If one or two decide that's a model they no longer wish to work to then so be it, if the other 8 are united as one then I know who will lose.
Again, it's about a happy medium.

Yeah but is it the SANFL or the clubs that are causing ripples? Or just the fans?

Yeah that is my opinion too. I am not sure the SANFL is overly concerned. It is all new with a bit of watch this space.
Thankfully the SANFL Commission doesn't have the same power as the WAFL commission. It's healthy that the clubs still hold sway.

Great substance.
Great discussion.
Riveting.

To be fair you've been told the answer to your gripes many times

And each day you wipe the slate clean and start again asking the same questions. Presumably hoping for a different answer

The AFL reserves teams are not subject to the salary cap so they are not breaking it. They just aren't

Port? Nup.

I'm guessing not.

Again, I'm guessing not.

If you believe the only money the AFL clubs provide to the SANFL comes from the silly "entry fee" then you are incredibly, incredibly wrong. It benefits the SANFL greatly to have two strong AFL clubs.

Winning games does not equal dominating. Winning finals does not mean dominating. Neither team has gone on extended stretches of games where they have been almost unbeatable. In fact both sides have looked perfectly suited to the SANFL level. Neither has looked too weak, or too strong. Beatable, but providing enough competition to keep the SANFL teams honest.

It was the SANFL who urged us to "play to the line" to protect the integrity of the competition. Would you rather we were completely uncompetitive? What purpose does that serve for anyone?

Look over the border? Really? What does that have to do with anything. Seeing as you brought it up, it tells me the SANFL system is a largely successful one. And the SANFL clubs are capable of matching it with strong reserves sides.

Both AFL sides have had successful years where their list remained largely in fact with few injuries, allowing us to play the majority of our list, and we still weren't good enough. Hell, in 2014, when Port played in the GF we had 19 AFL listed players and it actually hindered us. We were forced to field players just coming back from knee recos or other injuries.

The current system works. To say anything else is to deny the facts.

The next point can be rebutted if you just read my second paragraph. We have a select group of players yes, but if a particular player is too good at SANFL level they get removed and put up into the AFL. Name me a player that consistently played at SANFL level and looked better than anyone else at that level? It doesn't happen. Steven Summerton, a career SANFL footballer is our best player for Christs sake. What does that tell you about the level of players we're putting into the SANFL?

Our reserve teams are full of players who are not good enough for AFL level, or are developing their game. These players seem perfectly suited to a competition that is a step below the AFL no? They certainly arent superstars who'd rip the SANFL clubs a new one. As the results show.

Fans like you are the only ones jumping at shadows. You are terrified of a monster that hasn't even reared its head yet, and probably never will. There isn't much wrong with the current system. All you need to do is look at the results.

I'm wasting my breathe aren't I?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back