2nds Should the Crows reserves be in the SANFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you will find that the SANFL commission would be vehemently against it.

No way would anyone in the SANFL believe that sending Adelaide and Port to the VFL and thus introducing a third brand of football to SA which would compete directly with the SANFL for patrons, advertising, sponsorship and players would be a win/win scenario.

I don't think advertising and sponsorship is a major part, most sponsors of SANFL clubs and I say most do it not because of the financial return but because of their involvement or love of the club. As for Patrons it's dropping now quite substantially over the last 3 years since introduction of course you would lose those that went to port and crows supporters that's a given. But will it halt the reduction in traditional supporters who aren't going?

As for the SANFL commission I don't think they are keeping them in for any other reason than their working relationship with the AFL, it's pretty damn clear if the clubs polled their members they would be kicked out. But more politics are and have been at play here which is why they remain. This reason alone is probably a fair one as both the AFL and SANFL are trying to do what they think is best for footy. As the AFL holds the purse strings the SANFL are somewhat restricted. It's probably not what the supporters or fans of the SANFL competition want but that's not the issue it's political which sounds weird

The problem is that the SANFL will never allow it to happen.

The current system allows the SANFL to control both reserves teams which limits the potential commercial damage to the SANFL. If Port and Adelaide were to leave the SANFL and join the VFL then they would be competing directly against the SANFL for exposure, crowds, advertising and sponsorship.

At the moment the Crows reserves are limited by the SANFL with their top up players, sponorship and advertising rights, but once the SANFL no longer has control it could spell disaster for the SANFL. The Crows would then be out chasing sponsors, advertising etc for it's reserves side to cover the additional costs etc which more than likely would come at the expense of SANFL clubs losing revenue streams to the Crows.

It's all great in theory, but the SANFL knows that they're in a better position with them in the SANFL rather than have them play in another league which will compete financially against the SANFL.

I don't know the current system, why does the SANFL have control of the Crows and/or where they want to play their reserves team?
Is this that talk I remember hearing about us buying our license back? I thought we did that..
Because yes exactly, if the SANFL want to treat us like crap then we will go 'compete' with their league, and you would think they would do what they can to not have us leave for that reason.

I don't know the current system, why does the SANFL have control of the Crows and/or where they want to play their reserves team?
Is this that talk I remember hearing about us buying our license back? I thought we did that..
Because yes exactly, if the SANFL want to treat us like crap then we will go 'compete' with their league, and you would think they would do what they can to not have us leave for that reason.

They control the SANFL competition only, either the crows or SANFL can terminate the agreement to play in the league with one years notice

Yes the crows can leave and play in the VFL if they want if the VFL will accept them ,and accept their conditions, they wouldn't be able to start their own league up in SA they couldn't afford it

Tredders said tonight something about a cap being looked at.
He may just be reading into the rooch and news ltd push for changes rather than a genuine push for change.
Could be a good time to call their bluff if they want to restrict us that badly and go to the VFL.

If the SANFL want to start capping how many AFL listed players we can have playing for us, then the whole thing becomes a pointless exercise for the AFC. I certainly hope we have a plan B if that eventuates.

I can actually see a win win on the cap. The benefit for the SANFL is obvious, the benefit for the crows is that players van be played in their intended position.

This year we had so many players that some weeks we were playing with Rob, Lowden, Hunter and Dear in the 1 side. Way too top heavy and players played out of position. I would have been all in favour of the club sending 1 or 2 of these players out on loan to another SANFL club for a 3 month period

I can actually see a win win on the cap. The benefit for the SANFL is obvious, the benefit for the crows is that players van be played in their intended position.

This year we had so many players that some weeks we were playing with Rob, Lowden, Hunter and Dear in the 1 side. Way too top heavy and players played out of position. I would have been all in favour of the club sending 1 or 2 of these players out on loan to another SANFL club for a 3 month period

In a way yes but I think its an over reaction. You could count on 1 hand the number of times in 20 years the Crows had an injury free run like this year.

Honestly we should just leave them be let them have their little ammos comp so their supporters can pretend it's still the 1980s, take out all the money we give them, with that channel 7 won't give a stuff about them they'll leave too with no reserve sides to broadcast, all that's left of their media relevancy will start dying off and soon enough the only time you'll ever hear of the SANFL in the mainstream media will be when another old club is facing administration

Honestly we should just leave them be let them have their little ammos comp so their supporters can pretend it's still the 1980s, take out all the money we give them, with that channel 7 won't give a stuff about them they'll leave too with no reserve sides to broadcast, all that's left of their media relevancy will start dying off and soon enough the only time you'll ever hear of the SANFL in the mainstream media will be when another old club is facing administration
With that sentiment it's better people like you don't go, however I'm sure you probably don't anyway.
;)

With that sentiment it's better people like you don't go, however I'm sure you probably don't anyway.
;)

Went to every Glenelg home game 2005-2009, been to every Crows Vs South/Glenelg match, I do not care for SANFL football, found it way too hard to follow when I was younger as you knew none of the players from one year to the next only went to watch how crows players were doing, got beer poured on me and disgusting abuse and threats of violence thrown my fathers way by central supporters after the 2008 GF (Glenelg member for 30 years, hasn't cared about the SANFL for years either). So couple that with the stuck on SANFL supporters like yourself who get on my nerve way to easily for me to even think about taking a genuine interest in what I see as a Two's/development league.

Get with the times the SANFL is a non-elite competition who wants to now and only now after taking the funds to the bank stand in the way of an Elite team's development, it is totally laughable, imagine the D-League kicking up a stink at an NBA team or Segunda División B teams trying to kick the Barcelona and Real Madrid reserves teams out the league, wouldn't happen as they accept their place as Development/2nds comps something the SANFL should as well seeing as it's been one for 20-25 years

Went to every Glenelg home game 2005-2009, been to every Crows Vs South/Glenelg match, I do not care for SANFL football, found it way too hard to follow when I was younger as you knew none of the players from one year to the next only went to watch how crows players were doing, got beer poured on me and disgusting abuse and threats of violence thrown my fathers way by central supporters after the 2008 GF (Glenelg member for 30 years, hasn't cared about the SANFL for years either). So couple that with the stuck on SANFL supporters like yourself who get on my nerve way to easily for me to even think about taking a genuine interest in what I see as a Two's/development league.

Get with the times the SANFL is a non-elite competition who wants to now and only now after taking the funds to the bank stand in the way of an Elite team's development, it is totally laughable, imagine the D-League kicking up a stink at an NBA team or Segunda División B teams trying to kick the Barcelona and Real Madrid reserves teams out the league, wouldn't happen as they accept their place as Development/2nds comps something the SANFL should as well seeing as it's been one for 20-25 years
I'm not sure why people keep bringing up some idea that SANFL supporters think it's still the dominant comp in SA. Everyone accepts that it's a second tier league, no one has an issue with that. People just want a bit of equality back in the comp.
I've rarely ever, ever had a problem at an SANFL game and rarely seen one.
It's unfortunate your family has had bad experiences while going and fair enough if you don't want to attend, better off if you have the attitude of derision towards it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giants just beat the Swans for the NEAFL grand final. Fremantles reserves (Peel) just won the WAFL. Western Bulldogs (Footscray) just won the VFL.
Twice in a few years East Perth and Peel have played off in a final, twice one of them have torn through the finals, twice one of them have played in the GF.
The VFL GF was an all AFL event.

This is hilarious, Im pretty sure the AFL need the SANFL to exist, if not, they could just pay the millions that it cost them to run the NEAFL. I dont suppose it would matter too much except the clubs would be upset if it cost say and extra 20 million to run all the states, state leagues or local comps, the cost would be enormous and the AFL clubs distribution from the AFL would need to be reduced forcinga few AFL clubs into admionistration.

As for money from teh crows I think its 400,000 and teh SANFL pay $800,000 to be telvised, that puts them upside down if Im not mistaken

Or do you think the sport of AFL would continue to grow and prosper without that grass roots development

IMHO the SANFL clubs would become similar to Amateur League Div 1 teams if the Crows and the Port Magpies left the SANFL. The facilities and supporter bases of the top SAAFL and country teams is similar to most SANFL clubs. The SANFL finals are like reunions at an old age home. Once the pre-AFL supporters disappear then the league will descend to its rightful level.

But, but, but who would develop the KIDS?

A set-up similar to the TAC Cup could be developed. Given the smaller pool of talent, a six team competition would lift the quality of the under 18 competition.

But, but, but we would no longer be (arguably) the second best competition in Australia. So what?

The cost to maintain a semi-professional second tier league is not justified and I'd rather see these resources used to increase the chance of another AFL flag coming to South Australia.

The system doesn't work

The crows reserves team is not nearly as successful as the SANFL would like

Moderate success only suppresses crowds and interest

Remember the sanfl argued for and negotiated rules demanding that the crows fielded their absolute best team at ALL times.

What the sanfl fears is that we are not successful, they fear we won't take it seriously, that we won't go all out to win

That's the only way the system doesn't work. We are not dominant enough for the sanfl

Giants just beat the Swans for the NEAFL grand final. Fremantles reserves (Peel) just won the WAFL. Western Bulldogs (Footscray) just won the VFL.
Sorry for talking about the SANFL in a "Should the Crows reserves be in the SANFL" thread :rolleyes:

ADELAIDE could look to have its Crows reserves join the VFL or NEAFL if the SANFL introduces a cap on the number of AFL-listed players who can be fielded in the State league.

The SANFL has begun its annual review of AFL clubs Adelaide and Port Adelaide fielding AFL reserves teams in the State league — as demanded by the licence agreement. But this year there is extra pressure from the eight traditional SANFL clubs to introduce a cap on AFL-listed players named for State league action.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/58d9f2cae8f1db310846799342b5332a

Remove this Banner Ad

Back