Prediction Round 15, 2024: Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was our expected score at 3/4 time when we had 27?
Would be good info to have. Bloke on twitter doesn’t post that tho.

However when your midfield plays well you generate better scoring chances. Do you think it’s a coincidence that we scored freely when the midfield played well? For example a lot of darlings misses in the first were shots from the boundary.

his standard position?

Oh right I forgot positions at WC are fixed and playing FF for one out of the past 2 and a half seasons means you get to take the spot of the guy who's recent form in the position is at a higher level than you've ever achieved, and has him in AA contention.

Oscar will no doubt play some time at FF this week but perhaps an ounce of respect for Jake, even if just on paper, might have been nice. Don't anyone pretend that the players don't care about this stuff, that Jake wouldn't of preferred to to be named as top dog or that Oscar isn't loving the fact he gets the instant gratification either.

JJ named in a field position.(unusually as a wing)
So interchange - Williams, Chesser, Rotham, Culley, and Brockman as sub which makes sense...
Cole named on the field but always starts on the bench, doesn’t matter where they are named.

Oh right I forgot positions at WC are fixed and playing FF for one out of the past 2 and a half seasons means you get to take the spot of the guy who's recent form in the position is at a higher level than you've ever achieved, and has him in AA contention.

Oscar will no doubt play some time at FF this week but perhaps an ounce of respect for Jake, even if just on paper, might have been nice. Don't anyone pretend that the players don't care about this stuff, that Jake wouldn't of preferred to to be named as top dog or that Oscar isn't loving the fact he gets the instant gratification either.

do you realise he was named at HF against North? Allen's inclusion pushed Darling to the pocket and BWilliams to the bench

but go off i guess

Cole named on the field but always starts on the bench, doesn’t matter where they are named.
For sure, but Cole is a guaranteed starter. Anyone named on field is a starter. Not everyone named on interchange is a starter. The bench is rotating and resting continually with lots of players on the bench. Between JJ and Brockman and his time off, just feel he starts as sub, and JJ is a starter, probably on bench with Chesser on wing.
Could be entirely wrong of course...

Last edited:

Waterman’s named in the exact same spot he was last week.

And the positions on Thursday night don’t mean much. Do we expect Jones to play on a wing?

Simpson on 6PR saying we are going to try a few things and when asked about Essendon’s pace being a concern he said the final selected side would have some pace

Brockman will come into the side along with Hunt to add speed

Based on what he said it may well be Gaff who misses out but we’ll have to wait to tomorrow

I mean darling and Cripps kicked 2 goals 6 between them which is a huge anomaly. The other players who kicked more points than goals were culley, sheed, McGovern, Maric and Hutchinson. Only two of those are forwards.

If you think norths absolute dominance early was because of our forwards and not our mids I’m not sure what to say.

I mean our expected score from the game was 75 and we scored 65. A lot of our misses weren’t high quality chances.

When yeo started dominating in the last we scored with ease.

Yeah but do you mean it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

do you realise he was named at HF against North? Allen's inclusion pushed Darling to the pocket and BWilliams to the bench

but go off i guess

I did know that, but having Miguel on block I was hoping no one thought posting about it was some kind of relevant point.

Waterman still played full forward against North, and was probably named at CHF for no reason other than to have this answer ready to go for when Simmo gets asked about it at his next presser.

Who will play full forward out of Oscar and Jake has been a focus for the media for months. Both of them have been asked on camera whats going to happen when Oscar comes back. For anyone paying any attention at all to this sub plot there was intrigue as to who would be named where when Oscar returned because obviously that's an interesting story, and how its handled is an insight into the clubs culture.

Clubs with a strong culture would back the form player in, make a bit of a show of the returning star having to earn his spot back. Where they actually play on Sunday is less important as that situation is fluid. The team announcements of starting positions are symbolic and the club chose to send the message here that reputation is king, which fits perfectly with what they are about but yes, it shits me. Because it's kind of dishonourable and antithetical to good culture.

Is it a small thing, yeah sure but to me it was a test of character for Oscar Allen as well. He's captain so should be grateful he doesn't have to come back through the seconds- which in itself sends the wrong message to the team about selection integrity. It would have been appropriate for him to say "this is a bit of a bad look. Name me on the bench, or in a pocket, or up the ground and give Jake a bit of symbolic acknowledgement for what he's achieved." He's done nothing to earn his spot back at all. He may yet prove he deserves it over Waterman in coming weeks, but a good leader has a bit more humility I think. Especially if he has confidence in himself.

Waterman still played full forward against North, and was probably named at CHF for no reason other than to have this answer ready to go for when Simmo gets asked about it at his next presser.

That’s gotta be close to the biggest stretch I’ve seen.

Waterman was also named at CHF when we played Essendon in round 8, with Darling at FF. Presumably that was all just to add to the plausible deniability this week.

Ol Fages knows shit about player conditioning, reckons Ashcroft will come straight into the senior side.
Obeanie needs to educate him.

Edit: If Obeanie is unavailable looks like Sharpie could do the job.
He knows more about the fitness of players than the employees at the club.

Last edited:
Waterman’s actually only been named at FF once this season, if anyone’s interested. It was round 2 when Allen was out injured and Darling was named on the bench, presumably as a warning that he was close to being dropped.

The plot thickens.

Based on this being correct, my best guess is

Backs - McGovern, Barrass, Rotham, Witherden, Hough, Duggan, Cole

Rucks - Flynn, Williams

Mids - Yeo, Ginbey, Chesser, Hunt, Jones, Petruccelle

Forwards - Allen, Waterman, Darling, Maric, Cripps, Ryan, Brockman

(Ryan and Brockman to have stints rotating through midfield with Jones and Petch)

Sub - Culley

Traveller - Hutchinson to give him a look at what that entails

WAFL - Gaff, Edwards

Unlucky to miss - Trew, Hall, Dewar

In : Allen, Hunt, Rotham, Brockman
Out : Sheed, Gaff, Edwards, Hutchinson

Culley sub in lieu of Maric

It’s probably about as best we could select with maybe the exception of either Trew or Hall instead on one of the forwards we’ve picked

I did know that, but having Miguel on block I was hoping no one thought posting about it was some kind of relevant point.

Who will play full forward out of Oscar and Jake has been a focus for the media for months. Both of them have been asked on camera whats going to happen when Oscar comes back. For anyone paying any attention at all to this sub plot there was intrigue as to who would be named where when Oscar returned because obviously that's an interesting story, and how its handled is an insight into the clubs culture.

Clubs with a strong culture would back the form player in, make a bit of a show of the returning star having to earn his spot back. Where they actually play on Sunday is less important as that situation is fluid. The team announcements of starting positions are symbolic and the club chose to send the message here that reputation is king, which fits perfectly with what they are about but yes, it shits me. Because it's kind of dishonourable and antithetical to good culture.

Is it a small thing, yeah sure but to me it was a test of character for Oscar Allen as well. He's captain so should be grateful he doesn't have to come back through the seconds- which in itself sends the wrong message to the team about selection integrity. It would have been appropriate for him to say "this is a bit of a bad look. Name me on the bench, or in a pocket, or up the ground and give Jake a bit of symbolic acknowledgement for what he's achieved." He's done nothing to earn his spot back at all. He may yet prove he deserves it over Waterman in coming weeks, but a good leader has a bit more humility I think. Especially if he has confidence in himself.

they should drop Waterman to the WAFL just to spite this post

Based on this being correct, my best guess is

Backs - McGovern, Barrass, Rotham, Witherden, Hough, Duggan, Cole

Rucks - Flynn, Williams

Mids - Yeo, Ginbey, Chesser, Hunt, Jones, Petruccelle

Forwards - Allen, Waterman, Darling, Maric, Cripps, Ryan, Brockman

(Ryan and Brockman to have stints rotating through midfield with Jones and Petch)

Sub - Culley

Traveller - Hutchinson to give him a look at what that entails

WAFL - Gaff, Edwards

Unlucky to miss - Trew, Hall, Dewar

In : Allen, Hunt, Rotham, Brockman
Out : Sheed, Gaff, Edwards, Hutchinson

Culley sub in lieu of Maric

It’s probably about as best we could select with maybe the exception of either Trew or Hall instead on one of the forwards we’ve picked

Gaff and Sheed out of the side?

is it Christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back