Prediction Round 16, 2024: Changes vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Have defo seen a monumental shift on this board regarding Bailey Williams position in the side.

Seems it's gone from 'he's a natural forward', to 'he's fine just give it time', to 'he can't play forward at all' in the past month.

Simpson is on crack, he's only delaying the inevitable here, which is Williams demoted to the WAFL and Flynn rucking on his own.. aka bad list management.

IN - Reid, Kelly, Hall
OUT - Hutchinson, Rotham, Jones

Another one to keep an eye on is Hunt, I feel his sub par season has flown under the radar a bit on here.

Possibly he overachieved a bit last year in his first season, he certainly hasn't hit those heights again. Numbers are down across the board. 7 touches in a whole game of footy last week. He hasn't had a return that bad since round 12 2022 for Melbourne (3 disposals).
Disagree that this board has been gung-ho on Williams as a forward. Instead it's more, 'that was his rep when drafted and how the club sees him' which may be true but as a strategy, is fast approaching good money after bad, as you've noted.

🎯 on Hunt though. He's getting the same 'wing' latitude as Chesser. But as Gaff on one leg showed, you can still rack them up if you know what you're doing.

You’d think he’d be named as an out if he was going to miss, so I guess we’ll find out Thursday.
Yep, of course, but guess i was more asking WILL he miss or will he rock up given the circumstances? Understandable if he misses of course, but be nice to see a full midfield again...

Yep, of course, but guess i was more asking WILL he miss or will he rock up given the circumstances? Understandable if he misses of course, but be nice to see a full midfield again...

Who knows - it’s up to him and what he wants to do, we’ll find out tomorrow. Thankfully most have held back from speculating and lamenting that he would miss a game because his father has just died…

Who knows - it’s up to him and what he wants to do, we’ll find out tomorrow. Thankfully most have held back from speculating and lamenting that he would miss a game because his father has just died…
Fair call...speculating but not lamenting, fully understandable as mentioned.
So regarding the ins+outs (which is what this thread is about) Trew or Culley might make an appearance if Yeo is out? (Unsure of Ledwards availability), and/or shuffle the rotations like last week...

Last edited:
You dont see the turnovers he creates missing kick out of defense?

And with all the safe chip kicks he should have a decent disposal efficency. Doesnt excuse the howlers he makes.
He has the lowest turnovers out of Cole, Hough, and Duggan. Facts just don’t line up with your version of reality.
Has more score involvements than Cole and Hough as well so taking similar difficulty kicks.

You're not wrong, but there's patience, and then there's watching a player with absolutely zero forward craft run around down there not impacting the game. It's not just his hands, or lack of touch, it's his forward brain, positioning, his lack of contest, bringing the ball to ground. Been 3 weeks now.

What's worse is that I feel his ruck chopouts have dropped off. He's better when he's involved in the game and rucking on his own, fronting up to contest after contest. That's the best version of Bailey Williams, the one we've seen step up the last couple years.

I feel his chopout stuff has been a bit lame tbh. He's fresh, with an enviable leap, against a part timer more often than not (the other teams backup) and he's still not impacting enough.

Just belt the ball forwards if the mids aren't getting it done, jeez.

Yeah the problem with Bailey seems to be that as a number one ruck he is a solid B-, but as a Fwd/Ruck he is a C-.

He has the lowest turnovers out of Cole, Hough, and Duggan. Facts just don’t line up with your version of reality.
Has more score involvements than Cole and Hough as well so taking similar difficulty kicks.

Witherden's turnovers just look worse then, Under minor pressure his decision making often lets him down and he trieds to bite off more than he can chew. Misses his target and bang easy gial scored against.

Maybe rhe others disposable efficency is worse because they are under pressure more playing in close defending. Duggan is a turnover kicker as well sure but Witherden when he stuffs it up REALLY stuffs it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Kelly, Reid, Hedwards, Gaff

Out: Yeo (bereavement)

B: Hough, Barrass, Cole
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Witherden
C: Chesser, Kelly, Hunt
HF: Cripps, Waterman, Ryan
F: Williams, Allen, Darling
R: Flynn, Yeo, Ginbey
I: Rotham, Petruccelle, Maric, Brockman, Jones, Hedwards, Hutchinson, Gaff

Maric or Jones sub, Hedwards and Hutchinson to play WAFL, Gaff to either be held over or play limited WAFL minutes.

Super tall forward experiment to continue.

Yeah the problem with Bailey seems to be that as a number one ruck he is a solid B-, but as a Fwd/Ruck he is a C-.

Exactly.

And unfortunately we're turning B- trade value into C- trade value and further each week.

Needs to pull a huge game out of his Robbie Nahas to convince anyone (other than Simpson) that he's remotely capable of being an AFL forward.

Is everyone just speculating Yeo out or has it been confirmed somewhere.
Seems to me he could be the type that would want to play as a bit of a tribute of sorts to his dad.

But whatever he wants to do he will have 100% support from everyone, everyone.

Just speculation I think. Would be entirely up to him whether he plays or not.

Is everyone just speculating Yeo out or has it been confirmed somewhere.
Seems to me he could be the type that would want to play as a bit of a tribute of sorts to his dad.

But whatever he wants to do he will have 100% support from everyone, everyone.
Speculating and lamenting apparently?
It's a speculative thread (predictions).
Will know shortly. But absolutely 100% support for his decision either way!

IN: Tim Kelly, Harley Reid, Andrew Gaff, Harry Edwards
OUT: Jack Petruccelle (Injured)

So looks like Petch is this week's midweek injury

The midfield looks great again!
Just need another good mid for depth.
There is Hunt and Jones for pace.
Good to see Brockman getting a regular gig...

Last edited:
Petch takes part in about 3 centre bounces even with the main trio (Yeo/Kelly/Reid) present.

With him out, it's likely those centre bounces will go to one of Flyin' and/or Brockman, who played pretty well there against Essendon last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back