Prediction Round 16, 2024: Changes vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

When speaking on CH7 with Ryan Daniels he was asked about the tall forwardline

Said that it would take another couple of weeks to assess

So don’t expect any change to the Allen/Waterman/Darling forward setup in combination with a Flynn/Williams ruck duo this week

Or the week after

So don’t expect any change to the Allen/Waterman/Darling forward setup in combination with a Flynn/Williams ruck duo this week

Or the week after
Classic Simmo, always takes weeks to admit his mistakes.

Or the week after
1719235939727.jpeg

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

When we see the inevitable sheed in this week.

Barring Reid, who’s obviously exceptional.
It will be a very experienced line up.
Very far from a young side, I’m not saying that’s good or bad, but I would be expecting that side to win.

Hawthorn have hit their strides and have been on an absolute tear.

And this game is in Tassie.

I wouldn't be expecting that at all.

Backs :
McGovern, Barrass, Witherden, Hough, Duggan, Cole

+ 1 of Rotham/Edwards/Jamieson

Rucks :
Flynn, Williams

Mids :
Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, Hunt

Forwards :
Allen, Waterman, Darling, Cripps, Ryan

+ 2 of Brockman, Petruccelle, Maric, Jones

Sub :
From the two forwards who miss out

1) I don’t see who Sheed dislodges if he is to be selected
2) Is playing Darling and Williams our best combination? If Williams doesn’t play who rucks or is the other Williams the better option as a forward ruck? If Williams does play is there room for Darling or are we better with a more mobile option like Maric, Culley or even Hutchinson

Match committee will spend a lot of time on (2) I expect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheed being in the mix, doesn't mean he'll play.
With a near full list, it's unlikely. (you'd think? :rolleyes: )
Interesting how Flynn wasn't the immediate saviour people thought he'd be?
This often happens with returning or new/young players, need time to settle in.
Am on the fence with Bailey, leaning towards JWilliams, but understand these moves often need time to build chemistry.
Brockman in every game going forward!
Wanting to see Hutch get a full tilt at it sooner than later.
Jones a more versatile sub?

Barring Reid, who’s obviously exceptional.
It will be a very experienced line up.
Very far from a young side, I’m not saying that’s good or bad, but I would be expecting that side to win.

This is where my frustration grows. If we're playing our more experienced side I expect us to win. Not playing a few more of the kids and losing just seems like a wasted opportunity at development.

I am fully aware that "play the youth" is not an entirely viable option at all times however.

Frustrating because half of what he does is totally competent AFL level defending. The other half is coach killing
Yeah it's like he switches up between a decent AFL level defender and the guy in under 10s who didn't want to be there but his parents made him, so he spends most of his time in the forward pocket staring off into the distance and then when the ball comes down there he trips over himself in surprise, gets smacked in the face with the ball, and watches it dribble through for a point.

Yeah it's like he switches up between a decent AFL level defender and the guy in under 10s who didn't want to be there but his parents made him, so he spends most of his time in the forward pocket staring off into the distance and then when the ball comes down there he trips over himself in surprise, gets smacked in the face with the ball, and watches it dribble through for a point.

He shouldn't be in the defensive 50, his decision making is too poor and it gets exposed there when he makes a mistake. It also appears his ability to focus on an opponent/forward is also lacking (like your description of the day dreaming kid).

I stand by my call that he could be an elite wingman - tall, fast and decent disposal. And being on the wing his brain fades won't be so detrimental coming back the other way.

He shouldn't be in the defensive 50, his decision making is too poor and it gets exposed there when he makes a mistake. It also appears his ability to focus on an opponent/forward is also lacking (like your description of the dy dreaming kid).

I stand by my call that he could be an elite wingman - tall, fast and decent disposal. And being on the wing his brain fades won't be so detrimental coming back the other way.
Wasn't this the kind of player we actually drafted him as? And then for some reason we tried to turn him into a lock down defender.
I get that to play a team game some guys have to make sacrifices, but I can't help but think we'd be a lot better off letting these young guys develop and play their natural games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back