Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Neil Craig to join interim Essendon Coach Mark Thompson as Head of Coaching, Development and Strategy. Still plenty of love and respect out there in the AFL for Craigy it seems. Would again be on good $$$$'s too I would think. Simon Goodwin now Senior Assistant to Thompson as well.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/news/article/-/19333757/thompson-to-coach-essendon/

[QUOTE
New Essendon coach Mark Thompson is on a quest to win respect - and hopefully a premiership - for the AFL club next year.
And with his coaching passion back, the man who guided Geelong to the 2007 and 2009 flags hasn't ruled out taking a senior job elsewhere after he fills in for James Hird next season.

Thompson had declared in the past he never wanted to be a senior coach again and even after Hird's ban was issued, expressed reluctance to step into the top job.
But he said his change of heart was not purely about helping his club in a time of need.
"They did want to know whether I was committed or not," he said.
"I've openly stated in the past that I didn't want to coach.
"Well, I think I really wanted to do it for nine months and that's what I'm going to do."
He said he wouldn't be straying from the direction Hird and he have already set, only adding to it.
But far from just warming the seat, he says the players deserve the opportunity to achieve their best and a flag is the aim.
"We're going to try to. Can we do it? We're going to always try to. We're going to try to do things better and we'll see where that takes us," Thompson said.
Essendon also named former Adelaide coach Neil Craig as head of coaching, development and strategy while Simon Goodwin has been promoted to senior assistant][/QUOTE]

Good on them, just a shame it's at a club with such turmoil. Goody a potential coach for us way down the track?

Good on them, just a shame it's at a club with such turmoil. Goody a potential coach for us way down the track?

I'd like to think of him as our next coach. Depending how the next two seasons go for us, that could be closer than most think.

I like the fact that Goody has stayed completely clear of the AFC for his apprenticeship. Learning skills and how to run from the perspective from another club. As long as he doesn't bring that AOD9604 culture with him. :p

In some ways I'm glad for craigy

All this one club bullshit clouded our relationship with him, and stopped him or us being objective

Since then he has gone to melbourne, interimed there, interviewed for head coach at Melb & Brisbane and landed at Essendon

He's admitted he wants to be in the AFL and not just with us (good on him too) and we've recognised that infatuations with employees are not good ideas either

Perhaps the AFC/Craigy thing was just a bad relationship from the past, and we're all moving on happy that the other is doing ok

His title is certainly getting longer with each appointment
Matches the sleves on the new polo then...

20131010_Coach_Hero.jpg

Ok I can't help myself.

Bomber Thompson just needs a pair of spec's and he'd be a dead ringer for Mark Neeld...hence why they appointed his wingman. ;)

Head of coaching, development and strategy. I agree with the first two, but strategy. Hope they don't mean Gameday Strategy. Brings back memories of the hilarious stories Carl penned for us in that era. :)

Jokes aside, good luck to you Neil, I'm glad to see you are still highly regarded. I'm sure your still loved by many AFC players and AFC fans as you were pretty popular.

Neil did say he would only ever be senior coach at the AFC...he just never thought at the time about all the other roles for other clubs.

Also, do the Bomber tops come with longer sleeves to cover up any track marks? :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His title is certainly getting longer with each appointment

Is that the new thing nowadays? To give 'em long ass titles for their positions? What's David Noble's "General Manager of List Development and Strategy and getting the morning coffee" or some rubbish like that. I bet the business card places who charge by the letter love these positions.

I don't really get why clubs chase Craig. He drove the Crows into the ground in 2010/11, he then moved to Melbourne where they became an even bigger basketcase then they already are. I guess if Essendon want him that's their prerogative but every club he's been involved in this decade he's been a disaster.

I don't really get why clubs chase Craig. He drove the Crows into the ground in 2010/11, he then moved to Melbourne where they became an even bigger basketcase then they already are. I guess if Essendon want him that's their prerogative but every club he's been involved in this decade he's been a disaster.

I agree, but... If he needs to be in the afl like he obviously does, and he is successful in getting that chance maybe we should just smile knowingly to ourselves and jog on.

I agree, but... If he needs to be in the afl like he obviously does, and he is successful in getting that chance maybe we should just smile knowingly to ourselves and jog on.

Or perhaps wonder if we were perhaps narrow minded in our view of him and appreciate that others clearly see more in him than we do? ;)

Craigy was a far better coach than Sando and copped some foul luck when the side was in position to have a crack at the flag. Uniform structure and message top to bottom, and our organisational output was some of the most efficient **** I've seen from an AFL club. He lost the plot after the extraordinary events of 2006 I feel. Started questioning what were amazing processes, and we started revamping for the worse, rather than evolving our work.

but do they?

Melbourne have had a taste of the full craigy and passed, Brisbane said no, and Essendon haven't given him the main job either

Who ****ing cares? :rolleyes: Really Sanders he wouldn't get these jobs at all if he were even a fraction as crap as you believe him to be. Good on him. He's a top bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back