Remove this Banner Ad

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

We can let them count the Cups on the way in

How bad is it?

The board.

The coaching staff.

The list managers.

The playing group.

It ALL stinks. Zero accountability, zero drive, no elite standards. We’re in a big, big mess for a long, long time. Because changes will never be enough, when this mess requires drastic, sweeping changes.
What’s most disappointing is that after everything that has happened, it’s not Walsh’s philosophies that we decided to build our club culture around, but rather we decided to continue the Neil Craig crap that led to zero success and has now kept us going nowhere for 20 years.
Walsh would be devastated if he could see what this club has become.

What’s most disappointing is that after everything that has happened, it’s not Walsh’s philosophies that we decided to build our club culture around, but rather we decided to continue the Neil Craig crap that led to zero success and has now kept us going nowhere for 20 years.
Walsh would be devastated if he could see what this club has become.
I've thought this many times. You could see at the time that Walsh's mantras around honesty and frank analysis sat uncomfortably with the Admin. They toed the line during his tenure, but pivoted away quite quickly after he passed away, back to our comfort zone.

We are not a club that is comfortable challenging itself, it's practices, it's performance and it's people. It's not an organisation that is willing to what it takes to win. "The club is bigger than the individual" is not a mantra that sits well at our club, because there are far too many people - admin and players - who have elevated themselves above the club.

I honestly believe that this is because our early success under Blight created a buffer for those that came after him, Bill Sanders and Bob Hammond. The club has ridden that success and the consequent fan base and membership for far too long. There are definite challenges in operating within a skewed AFL system, but we choose to play in this league so we have to overcome those hurdles, but until we have a board that has winning as its primary KPI, we will continue to be a mediocre club.

We started out trying to get a head start on Port - yes we knew they were going to try again - and those 2 flags created that buffer

Then Port went on that 2001-2004 run and we s**t ourselves and Craig had us flying in 2005-06 and all was good

Then Port played the 2007 GF and we laughed and laughed and Port took a dive

And on the 7th day we rested

For the love of god, we better not f##k up the mid season draft and pick no one like last time. We can pick at least 2 players that could develop into good players. Carmichael would be in our best 22 if we picked him.
Al least give a couple of players a chance to perform instead of McHenry and Murphy who pose no goal threat yet are small forwards

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't think we have to look any further to where the problem lies, than our coaching panel and those that appointed them.
I'm guessing this may also be our mysterious team selection committee.
Not one of our Development Coaches prior to their current gig, have ever had experience with an AFL Club -
Marco Bello - VFL Box Hill (Hawkes Reserve)- Premiership Coach x 2 + 2 season development coach.
Michael Godden - SANFL - Premiership Coach
Matty Wright , Chelsea Randall (doing Cert 3 in coaching last year ) & McPherson (not sure of resume), handy players ??
Seriously, is this the best we can do againtst a multi million dollar comp.
Is it Kelly or the board , it's as if they are playing the stock market , hoping there bargain basement investments flourish.
Until we start sourcing externally and targeting experience in these roles , we are pushing sh*t uphill. -

Just to add , if you're wondering why our SANFL team has lost all interest or look confused - here's Bello's mantra -

“We basically have building blocks (for) the first to third year (players) especially,” Bello said.

“We look to build their habits from on-field, the technical, tactical components to it, as well as the physical.

“Do they have an understanding of the physical, with the tactical component, the technical, are they working on their craft, are they building the right habits to ensure they’re improving in their area?

Attachments

• 37579018-6DEB-479F-894D-CCBC9CF14301.jpeg
    37579018-6DEB-479F-894D-CCBC9CF14301.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a term in the NFL about this, beware the teams that can’t handle prosperity

When there is expectation, the culture of the place just can’t handle it

They think they’ve made it. That it’s just going to happen and they cruise.

The first suggestion of even a hint of success and the feet go up

We are them

This is supposed to have been weeded out by the culture review and back room clean out.

The clear problem is sycophants can run to the board for a resume pump up where they don't want to rock the boat, they don't think, they just are happy to be involved and they just do what they get told by who they want to suck up to the most.

I remember when Ross Lyon was in between jobs and he commented that the most important thing to him as a prospective senior coach was stability and good people in the key pillars of the club. Board, CEO, footy manager, senior coach.

Board aside, the other roles are being filled by people doing them for the first time. Like the coaching box in 2020, we have bargain basement people in key roles attempting to guide a full rebuild. Is it any wonder we are where we are?
We must have been the laughing stock of the football world when we promoted Burton to GM of football.

This is supposed to have been weeded out by the culture review and back room clean out.

The clear problem is sycophants can run to the board for a resume pump up where they don't want to rock the boat, they don't think, they just are happy to be involved and they just do what they get told by who they want to suck up to the most.

Its not a choice

It’s who you are

I don't think we have to look any further to where the problem lies, than our coaching panel and those that appointed them.
I'm guessing this may also be our mysterious team selection committee.
Not one of our Development Coaches prior to their current gig, have ever had experience with an AFL Club -
Marco Bello - VFL Box Hill (Hawkes Reserve)- Premiership Coach x 2 + 2 season development coach.
Michael Godden - SANFL - Premiership Coach
Matty Wright , Chelsea Randall (doing Cert 3 in coaching last year ) & McPherson (not sure of resume), handy players ??
Seriously, is this the best we can do againtst a multi million dollar comp.
Is it Kelly or the board , it's as if they are playing the stock market , hoping there bargain basement investments flourish.
Until we start sourcing externally and targeting experience in these roles , we are pushing sh*t uphill. -

Just to add , if you're wondering why our SANFL team has lost all interest or look confused - here's Bello's mantra -

“We basically have building blocks (for) the first to third year (players) especially,” Bello said.

“We look to build their habits from on-field, the technical, tactical components to it, as well as the physical.

“Do they have an understanding of the physical, with the tactical component, the technical, are they working on their craft, are they building the right habits to ensure they’re improving in their area?

It has to be a financial issue because all those coaches look awful, no wonder we are in a terrible start. Also our skills and tacking really haven’t improved in years.

For the love of god, we better not f##k up the mid season draft and pick no one like last time. We can pick at least 2 players that could develop into good players. Carmichael would be in our best 22 if we picked him.
Al least give a couple of players a chance to perform instead of McHenry and Murphy who pose no goal threat yet are small forwards

If we're not playing Dowling ahead of McHenry or Murphy now, what makes you think we'd be willing to replace them with a mid-season draftee?

If we're not playing Dowling ahead of McHenry or Murphy now, what makes you think we'd be willing to replace them with a mid-season draftee?

Let's sign Sloane for another year to make up for this lost one. You wouldn't put it past them to do it.

These maggots blatantly cheat each week.
Please adjust your tinfoil hat. Umpires are professionals just like the players. They don't have loyalties just like the players. They just try to the job they are being paid to do to the best of their abilities. If they don't they get demoted and lose income. I stopped believing umpires cheat 30 years ago.

Please adjust your tinfoil hat. Umpires are professionals just like the players. They don't have loyalties just like the players. They just try to the job they are being paid to do to the best of their abilities. If they don't they get demoted and lose income. I stopped believing umpires cheat 30 years ago.
Troy Pannell. Cheat.

Isn't one of the common issues that people have is that the umpires are not full time professional umpires?

Isn't one of the common issues that people have is that the umpires are not full time professional umpires?
Surely other than fitness it’s almost impossible to train physically to be an umpire, is it all tape watching?
Like goal umpires, how do they actually train to do the decision making?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back