Roast The Rotten Stench of the AFC

Remove this Banner Ad

LWLWLWLLLWWLLWLLLLWL

Our last 20 games

Our last 100 games, 33-67
So our last 20 games we are 7 wins (35%) which is not much better than our last 100 games (33%).

The performances this year are totally unacceptable... yet I have not seen anyone from AFC leadership getting angry about another wasted year.

No, that’s a bit dramatic. My point is it was a highly charged emotional time with a lot at stake, it basically finished our season in rd 6. In those circumstances I think it’s perfectly fine in the heat of the moment, seconds after it happened that Tex let him know about it.

My question to you was perhaps you had been in a similarly charged situation and were able to keep your cool given you raised your experiences in sport.

Id call it perfectly understandable, but not perfectly fine.

Perfectly fine hints at acceptable behavior. Screaming "youre a joke" at the Umpire hasnt been acceptable in any grade,under any cicumstance for many moons.

No, that’s a bit dramatic. My point is it was a highly charged emotional time with a lot at stake, it basically finished our season in rd 6. In those circumstances I think it’s perfectly fine in the heat of the moment, seconds after it happened that Tex let him know about it.

My question to you was perhaps you had been in a similarly charged situation and were able to keep your cool given you raised your experiences in sport.

You are correct, I’ve never been in that scenario. When I was referring to my experiences what I meant is that I have played in teams where the culture of the team was deteriorated because people couldn’t control their emotions and abused team mates, opposition and umpires. I also am close to a lot of people who umpire at high levels and I know how much they care about their sport and how hard they work. I think it’s the wrong thing to do to abuse them for something like that. Again, if Tex had have done what he did to the umpire to Rachele (who’s mistake is comparable, and arguably had just as much consequence), I think we would have all condemned it, but because the umpire isn’t on our team it’s suddenly okay?

You’re right, I’ve never been in that situation. I can say I haven’t abused an umpire like that in my own sport but obviously I’m not at that level. Id like to think I would still not do it but I don’t know for sure. That doesn’t change whether it’s right or wrong though.

We criticise players for missing targets, knowing full well they hit them far more frequently than I ever would. Why can I not say that I think his actions were wrong. Not saying he should be disciplined or anything like that but I wish that as a leader of the team he would control his emotions better.

We are at the end of the game and the ump ****ed up big time that cost us any chance of winning. Tex being the tackling player had every right to let the ump knew he made a mistake that took away our chance of winning.

And the uproar on social media has been ABSOLUTLEY INSANE!. It seems to be more intense when Adelaide are at the receiving end of this.

And most of the blame and trash talk is towards our club and aimed at our so called sooky supporters as they know it is the wrong call so this fires up their egos a million times more and they love it. That is fine. I'm sure Port and Essendon supporters will be thinking differently at the end of the season.

The umpires knew what they were doing and they were never going to call that. (yeah, call me a sooky supporter, truth is I am not as die hard as I was in the 1990's and 2000's). Anyway too late now, gotta move on.

You get yourselves into tight situations then the risk of a dodgy call can happen anytime.

I still think the Keays decision last year is what truly messed up this club, 100%, one of the reasons among an ageing Walker is why I tipped us to win less than 10 games this year. You have to accept the critics of your failures, that is life. I have followed this team since the beginning and I know exactly what is true especially when it comes to handling aversity.

Time to play out the rest of the season and give more guys with less experience chances. And keep on playing Rachelle, don't punish him for his mistakes and try to inspire him to become better. It is a fast and high pressure game and you need to be brave.

Last edited:
The Keays call had nothing to do with where we're at imho

We're playing exactly how we played in the first half of the Sydney game, when finals were there to be taken. Before the goal umpire had screwed up.

Coaching the same, selecting the same, playing the same and producing the same.

When there is any pressure or expectation, we freeze up. Play cautiously, bomb the ball, fumble, move it slowly, pick old injured players, keep young players out of the main roles wherever possible, safe selection calls

We're playing exactly how we played in the first half of the Sydney game, when finals were there to be taken. Before the goal umpire had screwed up.

When there is any pressure or expectation, we freeze up. Play cautiously, bomb the ball, fumble, move it slowly, pick old injured players, keep young players out of the main roles wherever possible, safe selection calls

Exactly right

That Sydney game, we talked all week leading up how we were going to come out breathing fire

We came out like we were breathing in weed. Slow, ponderous and disaffected

Just like round 1, Nicks cannot prepare the team, and he cannot motivate them

I’m surprised we can muster the energy to break through the banner sometimes

heck. This is bang on.

Exactly right

That Sydney game, we talked all week leading up how we were going to come out breathing fire

The indictment is in the game we won. The only one that came completely free from expectation. Which is the 'culture' we've built under Nicks: a team that only performs when there is absolutely no expectation, and which then over celebrates it as a vindication that the many failures under expectations haven't happened.

The entire vibe of the entire off season made it relatively obvious that this was going to happen, imo. Rather than spending the entire off season furious that we fell short last year, lamenting the close games that would have carried us into the eight, and steeling ourselves to win them, we treated ascent as inevitable and took a victory lap about a non-finals season. Because we're always on the sell. We can't deliver actual success, so what we focus on to keep the coffers full is how to convince people it's coming.

God, the club's ground announcer started doing it immediately after the game. Don't stop coming guys, the good times will be here any day now.

we are playing like we've been told by management that all we need to do is turn up this year and a top 4 spot is ours

its ******* disgusting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly right

They may as well put up the banner at 3/4 time, that’s usually when we start the game

One thing I really hated today - why was Mitch Hinge rolled out to take the presser? I mean, while the players were terrible in terms of their individual decision making game night, they are being hamstrung clearly by a game plan and personnel selections that are just plain awful. That is on the coaches. Nicks should have been there taking the heat (well, the Adelaide media softball version thereof), and explaining (1) what the hell they are going to do to turn this ship around and (2) explaining to us supporters why, despite the fact we are 1-5, and staring down a loss to a side that has won 1 of their last 27 games (which I honestly think will happen this Saturday), there has been no major selection moves (same plaeyers constantly in and out) and why senior players (in particular Smith, McHenry etc) are not being held accountable and/or replaced by younger, in-form players (aka Dowling). Honestly, one little thing like that really does prove the point at the Crows...there is ZERO accountability for poor performance at a senior level.

I know I might be the minority here and this is shaped a lot by my experiences in sport, but emotion is not an excuse for treating an umpire like that, nor is the fact that the umpire made a mistake.

Answer me this, if we had lost the game because Nankervis or someone of similar experience made a very basic error, and Walker had given him the same treatment what would your thoughts of that be?

Umpires should be critiqued and held to a high standard, but they also should be treated with respect as a human being. What Walker did was take all his frustration and vent it on to one person and that’s not okay.
I agree with that sentiment. I must not have seen the entire footage.

Great comparison.

It doesn't feel like our club has winning football as a priority... perhaps because we lack quality football people on our board.
I actually think they do want to win games, they are just hopeless at it. Lack of (basic) football knowledge means rubber stamping every decision from our incompetent footy department and inability to set KPIs that actually drive performance.

I remember when Ross Lyon was in between jobs and he commented that the most important thing to him as a prospective senior coach was stability and good people in the key pillars of the club. Board, CEO, footy manager, senior coach.

Board aside, the other roles are being filled by people doing them for the first time. Like the coaching box in 2020, we have bargain basement people in key roles attempting to guide a full rebuild. Is it any wonder we are where we are?

I remember when Ross Lyon was in between jobs and he commented that the most important thing to him as a prospective senior coach was stability and good people in the key pillars of the club. Board, CEO, footy manager, senior coach.

Board aside, the other roles are being filled by people doing them for the first time. Like the coaching box in 2020, we have bargain basement people in key roles attempting to guide a full rebuild. Is it any wonder we are where we are?

It’s more than just that, footy manager is entirely unqualified and the board is stuffed with non footy people. The CEO is a first timer as you say

It’s more than just that, footy manager is entirely unqualified and the board is stuffed with non footy people. The CEO is a first timer as you say

Even Olsen is sub par, never considered elite. Just a professional board member from someone who was a used car salesman, into politics, became a substandard premier and has board hopped and failed upwards ever since.

a team that only performs when there is absolutely no expectation, and which then over celebrates it as a vindication that the many failures under expectations haven't happened.

Hasn't it always been that way though? What you're describing could just as easily be applied to 1991. It should be under our godawful logo - Adelaide Football Club, the team that only performs when there is absolutely no expectation.

Blight understood this. He was the master of downplaying expectations. Others have tried to embrace expectations and have failed without exception.

Hasn't it always been that way though? What you're describing could just as easily be applied to 1991. It should be under our godawful logo - Adelaide Football Club, the team that only performs when there is absolutely no expectation.

Blight understood this. He was the master of downplaying expectations. Others have tried to embrace expectations and have failed without exception.

There’s a term in the NFL about this, beware the teams that can’t handle prosperity

When there is expectation, the culture of the place just can’t handle it

They think they’ve made it. That it’s just going to happen and they cruise.

The first suggestion of even a hint of success and the feet go up

We are them

There’s a term in the NFL about this, beware the teams that can’t handle prosperity

When there is expectation, the culture of the place just can’t handle it

They think they’ve made it. That it’s just going to happen and they cruise.

The first suggestion of even a hint of success and the feet go up

We are them
When you consider that our two flags came in years where we weren't the dominant team, and all our subsequent failures have occurred when we were, this description fits perfectly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back