2nds Crows in the SANFL Preliminary Final

Remove this Banner Ad

The club would be loving that Crouch has played and been exposed to SANFL finals and now a Grand Final too..
Couldn't have worked out better :thumbsu:
hasn't the concept of taking a 17 YO a year early and not allowing them to play AFL, but train and be developed under the club program, been a great success :thumbsu:

Crouch knowing he wasn't able to play AFL was mentally at ease with settling in at West Adelaide .......knowing his team mates, gameplan and not worrying about getting an AFL game
IMO very good for overcoming homesickness.

Would love for all clubs to be able to take a 17 YO under the same rules each year

Would love to take another 17YO under the same scheme again

Crouch's development has been perfect .......plus he has shown he's a big game player
Just want him to reduce his handball to kick ratio

hasn't the concept of taking a 17 YO a year early and not allowing them to play AFL, but train and be developed under the club program, been a great success :thumbsu:

Crouch knowing he wasn't able to play AFL was mentally at ease with settling in at West Adelaide .......knowing his team mates, gameplan and not worrying about getting an AFL game
IMO very good for overcoming homesickness.

Would love for all clubs to be able to take a 17 YO under the same rules each year

Would love to take another 17YO under the same scheme again

Crouch's development has been perfect .......plus he has shown he's a big game player
Just want him to reduce his handball to kick ratio
There was a draft a few years back in which clubs were allowed to take 1x 17yo player. Adelaide chose McGregor.

There was a draft a few years back in which clubs were allowed to take 1x 17yo player. Adelaide chose McGregor.
Correct .....IIRC wasn't that the year we got McGregor and Hird to Essendon at that ridiculous pick

Each club could take 1 x 17 YO and could use any pick in the draft to take them. Think the success of the mini draft shows the value of reintroducing .....not to play AFL but to have a full year development in the local competition.....similar to the NSW scholarship program​

Correct .....IIRC wasn't that the year we got McGregor and Hird to Essendon at that ridiculous pick

Each club could take 1 x 17 YO and could use any pick in the draft to take them. Think the success of the mini draft shows the value of reintroducing .....not to play AFL but to have a full year development in the local competition.....similar to the NSW scholarship program
The Pavlich Miss

yes ....for anyone watching the SANFL that year Pavlich was a no brainer ....was a significant league player for Torrens and IIRC McGregor was still in U18's ??
The story I believe was that Pav was highly rated, then in that year he didn't play so well and slipped down the ratings.. Crows went with McGregor instead as the 17yo pre listed player or whatever it was called.. Pav then had a good next year and so went at number 4 in the next years draft to Freo..

Any chance someone from afc could put up some Crouch (and Laird) highlights from the weekend's game? I listened to it on the radio and it sounded like Crouch was everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The story I believe was that Pav was highly rated, then in that year he didn't play so well and slipped down the ratings.. Crows went with McGregor instead as the 17yo pre listed player or whatever it was called.. Pav then had a good next year and so went at number 4 in the next years draft to Freo..
That maybe correct, it's such a while ago now .....but i do remember statements along the lines that it was felt as already having a big body that Pavlich's upside was less than McGregors

Any chance someone from afc could put up some Crouch (and Laird) highlights from the weekend's game? I listened to it on the radio and it sounded like Crouch was everywhere.

I want to see the bit of biffo he was apparently involved in.

yes ....for anyone watching the SANFL that year Pavlich was a no brainer ....was a significant league player for Torrens and IIRC McGregor was still in U18's ??
Not correct. Pavlich's break out SANFL year was the year he was drafted as an 18 year old. He was playing for Sacred Heart the year before I think and some WWT reserves.

Whilst I can certainly see the benefits of him playing in a league like the SANFL, despite his competition mainly being grown men who he is already better than at age 18, I can also see the benefits of him not only learning our game plan and his role within it, but playing that role on the field in actual games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back