Can Sydney keep Warner and avoid more trade bans?

Can Sydney keep Warner and not cop a whack from the AFL?

• Lol No

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 30 53.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not all Vic clubs are the same, and not all non Vics are the sane.

Pies have heaps of advantages over Footscray and St Kilda.

Port and Freo get nothing. If they win a flag its worth more than if the Pies do. Dame to a lesser extent fir Saints etc.

Only a Sydney flag is worth less than a Pies flag.

And it's not "a kid", it's Heeny Blakey, Gulden and more.

The AFL is unfair, but it's not Vics vs The Rest. It's the AFL, which favours it's own pets and agenda, the powerful clubs who can twist things their way, and the politicians looking for votes. Weak clubs like Sydney benefit so long as they serve the AFLs needs.

What a load of crap.

The Chairman of the AFL rang the President of my club and abused the shit out of him for getting in the way of the AFL's preferred agenda.
Then the AFL banned us from trading.

Tell me, which other club has been banned from trading because they went against the AFL wishes????

The answer is none.

The idea that the Swans are somehow favoured by the AFL is the stuff of make believe.
The AFL does not give a shit about the Swans.
The AFL only cares about using Northern clubs to increase the money they get for TV rights.
That's all the AFL cares about.

Who benefits from more money for TV rights?
Victorian clubs.
Why?
Because the VFL outlived its usefulness. It became a minnow comp. It went broke because it became a minnow comp.
Without Northern clubs, especially the Swans, the AFL would go broke.
Look at the TV veiwing numbers. The records for TV viewing numbers all include the Swans.

The Swans are the AFL's biggest cash cow. Not the other way around.

What a load of crap.

The Chairman of the AFL rang the President of my club and abused the shit out of him for getting in the way of the AFL's preferred agenda.
Then the AFL banned us from trading.

Tell me, which other club has been banned from trading because they went against the AFL wishes????

The answer is none.

The idea that the Swans are somehow favoured by the AFL is the stuff of make believe.
The AFL does not give a shit about the Swans.
The AFL only cares about using Northern clubs to increase the money they get for TV rights.
That's all the AFL cares about.

Who benefits from more money for TV rights?
Victorian clubs.
Why?
Because the VFL outlived its usefulness. It became a minnow comp. It went broke because it became a minnow comp.
Without Northern clubs, especially the Swans, the AFL would go broke.
Look at the TV veiwing numbers. The records for TV viewing numbers all include the Swans.

The Swans are the AFL's biggest cash cow. Not the other way around.
You're a cash cow as a market outpost, and you were punished for foiling another market outpost in GWS, it was their turn to win.

Buddy was supposed to bring a flag to NSW, but you messed it up.

This suggests pretty strongly you're not that well run and have no clout of your own. You're powerful when the AFL helps, that's all.

I think Brisbane succeeded with less help for a shorter period was because they're better run.

Shamefully my club was part of the move to rip away Brisbanes assistance: as one of the rich clubs we have clout and we've used it a bit unfairly. That clout derives from our massive support.

It's not the Swans fault, they were sent to Sydney as a surplus Vic club. Honestly if you'd been given a decent start and the AFL stayed you might've succeeded on your own terms like Brisbane.

You're a cash cow as a market outpost, and you were punished for foiling another market outpost in GWS, it was their turn to win.

Buddy was supposed to bring a flag to NSW, but you messed it up.

This suggests pretty strongly you're not that well run and have no clout of your own. You're powerful when the AFL helps, that's all.

I think Brisbane succeeded with less help for a shorter period was because they're better run.

Shamefully my club was part of the move to rip away Brisbanes assistance: as one of the rich clubs we have clout and we've used it a bit unfairly. That clout derives from our massive support.

It's not the Swans fault, they were sent to Sydney as a surplus Vic club. Honestly if you'd been given a decent start and the AFL stayed you might've succeeded on your own terms like Brisbane.

Vic club supporters are going to have to accept that if they are arguing that the AFL manipulates things to achieve a desired outcome then when a Victorian club wins the flag it is because the AFL made it so.
There is no other reason for a club being successful other than the AFL making it so.

Vic club supporters are going to have to accept that if they are arguing that the AFL manipulates things to achieve a desired outcome then when a Victorian club wins the flag it is because the AFL made it so.
There is no other reason for a club being successful other than the AFL making it so.
That seems extremely simplistic. Try to be a bit more open minded. Collingwood has it easier than Footscray. Sydney has it easier than Port.

That seems extremely simplistic. Try to be a bit more open minded. Collingwood has it easier than Footscray. Sydney has it easier than Port.

Simplistic. LOL
Any discussion about the Swans academy is simplistic.
But this is Bigfooty so it's not realistic to expect fans of other teams to be anything but simplistic about the success of the Swans.
It's apparently so easy to be successful yet so many teams struggle to have even moderate success.

Simplistic. LOL
But this is Bigfooty so it's not realistic to expect fans of other teams to be anything but simplistic about the success of the Swans.
It's apparently so easy to be successful yet so many teams struggle to have even moderate success.

I think you're being a bit simplistic there mate.

Swans are pretty priviliged.

At least 4 that are still active on AFL senior lists:

Gary Rohan (2018)
“Gary expressed to us his desire to get back to Victoria during the trade period to be closer to his family,” Harley said.
https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/258600/rohan-finds-new-home

Nick Newman (2018)
“To be able to come back here at 25 and settle down a little bit more, being back around family, I think I needed that change of environment.”
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1037102...-carlton-blue-nic-newman-on-a-path-to-the-top

Jordan Dawson (2021)
Sydney believe they were short-changed in the trade they settled on with Adelaide over a deal for Jordan Dawson, who was today granted his wish to return home to South Australia.”
https://www.nine.com.au/sport/afl/t...ws-deal-charlie-gardiner-20211013-p5ivt8.html

Tom Mitchell (2016)
“But Mitchell was set on a move to Melbourne to be closer to family.”
https://www.afl.com.au/news/135867/how-tom-mitchell-became-a-trade-bargain
Devil’s advocate but aren’t the academy’s part of the reason why northern clubs don’t really get players wanting to go go home to them?

They essentially have exclusive access to any of the long term afl prospects so they are already playing in their home state

If they got drafted to other states maybe we would of seen the Heeney types wanting to go home for the benefit of Sydney

Devil’s advocate but aren’t the academy’s part of the reason why northern clubs don’t really get players wanting to go go home to them?

They essentially have exclusive access to any of the long term afl prospects so they are already playing in their home state

If they got drafted to other states maybe we would of seen the Heeney types wanting to go home for the benefit of Sydney
Heeney was a multi sport player. Probably would’ve chased the NRL dream instead. Pretty sure he has said that had it not been for the Swans pathway he would have not pursued it.

Heeney was a multi sport player. Probably would’ve chased the NRL dream instead. Pretty sure he has said that had it not been for the Swans pathway he would have not pursued it.
That wasn’t the point I was trying to make

I just used him as an example of the type of player who if he was drafted to a Victorian club he would of been the type of player that Sydney could of targeted in order to lure him to his home state

Dunno if Freo will be keen on him anyways - looks like he's lost some of his zip, might be resting on his laurels already?

Non issue.

I just used him as an example of the type of player who if he was drafted to a Victorian club he would of been the type of player that Sydney could of targeted in order to lure him to his home state
You’re right but I don’t reckon many non-Riverina draftees would even risk the draft so not much luring would be going on at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Sherrinator's point is that without the Academies, Heeney isn't playing AFL so your question is moot.

In the previous 30 years before the Academies the only example of a go home factor to Sydney I can think of was Nick Davis, so I suspect the answer to your question is no.

Simplistic. LOL
Thats a very fair point.

Clausewitz said something like "in war it is difficult for normal efforts to achieve even moderate results" and this is certainly true in footy. You see well run clubs like Footscray or Port and have their seasons take savage turns.

I feel as though Sydney is not the propped up basket case it was in the 1980's, or the overly benefited side of the 00's. The trade ban proves you're not Robinson Crusoe in terms of benefiting from the AFL.

Your club is smart to milk the academies, and if they have pulled a star like Heeney away from rugby into our sport then they are benefiting the sport as a whole and not just your side: its a point well made here.

The Pies benefit from a combination of Vic Bias and Big Club clout: do the academies and a bigger dividend offset that? I think so but I accept if you feel otherwise.

Academies are the reason we have more players from those states

Can you list ALL the QLD and NSW players who asked to be traded home who didn't come through academies? It won't be a long list at all.

I'll give you a headstart, Nick Davis and Lachie Weller. That may be the whole list

My mate bumped into dermott at costco morrabin and asked him why has the AFL not gotten rid of this massive joke of an advantage with the NSW academies and he simply said they would only ever do so if they handed them an equal advantage to replace it with as the AFL makes too much money with NSW sides successful and winning

My mate bumped into dermott at costco morrabin and asked him why has the AFL not gotten rid of this massive joke of an advantage with the NSW academies and he simply said they would only ever do so if they handed them an equal advantage to replace it with as the AFL makes too much money with NSW sides successful and winning
It's true, the AFL don't want NSW & QLD clubs losing all the time.

Can see his press conference being like when Moe was in court

Warner - “I’m looking forward to continuing my career in Sydney for the next 4 years. Oh good my laundry has been done”

OTdcrvo.jpg.

Back