Autopsy 2024 Rd 7 Blues Go Down To Classy Cats In A Belter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We put in a very solid effort today. Although, we made poor choices with ball in hand and overused the ball by hand. Credit to our midfield and the performance they put in most of the game, thought Pitto did fantastic again today and Cripps/Walsh duo caused issues for them.

We needed to lower our eyes more going inside 50. When H or Charlie get out in front on a lead, they are clean. We know they will be double or tripled by the opposition. What would help with this is improving our transition game to create more of that space.

We will learn from this. Defensively we were average but well done to Weiters killed Hawkins most of today. Need to win on Friday. Gotta keep moving forward. Season is a marathon not a sprint, we will be okay.

Blues total was 239. Cats was 235.

I think our best is a long way ahead of theirs. Replace our bottom 5-6 with guys who score say 7 on average and we win that champion data wise by 30 which usually translates to an easy win.

Sorry, i dont mean coaching specifically today, i mean in general how we go forward, how many entries we need to get a goal, how we tend just to bomb long.

Lots of kicks to Harry and Charlie today, where the player had no business in kicking to them, out of position or out numbered, we still kicked to them.

I think our entries can be way too shallow when kicking long inside 50 (all sides kick long inside 50).

We need to be more composed, with extra overlap through the middle, or changing angles to the fat side, to enable deeper or more measured delivery inside 50

But, most of our small forwards struggle to kick beyond 40. Martin and Cuners have better penetration, but are injury prone

Voss will need to get more inventive beyond Harry, Charlie and Elijah

Throw McGovern and Saad back in defence, cerra in they middle, Martin and motlop in the forward line and there is no way we are losing that.

Our defence is sorely missing Saad and McGovern, we've lost pressure, intercept and rebound. We lose the ability to force opposition defence to spread without the nous of Martin and motlop is our only genuine small forward who snap goals
& Fogarty & Cunners through the middle

We're better than them when both sides are at full strength.

We're still better than them with a few key ours.

But when half your best 22 is out to get within a few kicks having washed so many chances is a credit to this side.

They deserve their win but the loss doesn't change our season. I had this one down as a loss.

Our season is dependent on getting our best right by finals (should we make them) and avoiding an interstate final. Think this may be a year where a 5 to 8 team on a roll could win the flag so if injuries rob us of top 4 it's not out of the question should the draw be favorable.

Cowan applied very low pressure acts compared to the other defenders.

I expect him to go back to vfl next week.

Fine with that. Has gotten a taste of it. Will vo down now with a good understanding of what he needs to do to make his mark the next time his number is called

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not as upset by this loss because we've got so much upside. Durdin gets that goal and likely we slam some more and finish strongly... not the end of the world. Geelong only had one injury on their whole list, get some key playmakers back and we'll be very hard to beat.

The problem with so many injuries is that you are essentially relying on players who are perhaps 28-32 on the list and often simply aren't ready for week-in, week-out AFL. You can be happy when most/all play well like last week, but you just can't expect it every week from these guys. We desperately need a break from the injuries and to get some of our genuine best 22 back.

It's bloody frustrating having so many injuries during this run of games against genuine finals teams. If we were playing lesser teams we might be able to cover better, but the injuries will certainly cost us wins here I think.

Watch his presser Aph ...was very angry and even stated three changes for next week already....

Years ago when we were bad most if not all of us would be saying I’d take that loss couple of goals against the top side BUT not now and Voss should be angry.

We ain’t and shouldn’t be thinking we’re a top 8 team cause we’re not.

This team is a top 4 team full stop.

Standards should be high and we as supporters should be expecting the same.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Next week Cerra Cuningham and Fantasia - straight in.
Gov 1 more week maybe

pizzed orf would be an understatement - heads are going to roll.

Yep... and these are the heads I reckon will roll:

OUT - Durdin, Owies, Binns
IN - Fanta, Cunners, Cerra
SUB - Carroll

I think our entries can be way too shallow when kicking long inside 50 (all sides kick long inside 50).

We need to be more composed, with extra overlap through the middle, or changing angles to the fat side, to enable deeper or more measured delivery inside 50

But, most of our small forwards struggle to kick beyond 40. Martin and Cuners have better penetration, but are injury prone

Voss will need to get more inventive beyond Harry, Charlie and Elijah

Which players you thinking Ar?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's no shame in losing to a team like Geelong with the amount of players we had unavailable.

We still beat ourselves though with some poor shooting. Fix that and we'll beat the Pies next week.

They may be the reigning premiers but Geelong are a better team than them this year imo.

We still gave it our all against what is on current form, the best team in the competition right now.

Yep... and these are the heads I reckon will roll:

OUT - Durdin, Owies, Binns
IN - Fanta, Cunners, Cerra
SUB - Carroll
Unfortunately McGovern and Marchbank arent available;e- to fix the Young/Cowan rubbish

The same thing that has haunted this club for years, poor score conversion, just when you think it has improved they serve up games like today. at the end of the day we handed 4 points to the opposition because we are fragile in front of goal. we kick straight we win that game, end of story. this team is very frustrating to watch.

Back