Autopsy 2024 Rd 10 Pack up the tents, we're going home. Swans smash Blues.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 10 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I tipped Carlton to make 4th ... only I can't see that happening now ... so goodbye to being a genuine contender for 2024 ... 5th or 6th just won't cut it, imho.

Carlton need to get at least one key defender, perhaps 2 to replace Cincotta and Marchbank, 1 quick solid mid and 2 dangerous small forwards. Thinking we have the Players already to win a flag is fantasy stuff.

And then there's the skills training ... cause we aren't up with the Big Boys, especially with tackling pressure

Why are we replacing Cincotta?

What?

I said the fans deserve praise. That's the club members yes?

They are the ones who hand over their hard earned money year after year for this dross.

Anyone who collects a wage from the club absolutely deserves to be called out.

Players, admin, support staff are club members too.
You know, the ones that give their wholehearted commitment day in, day out to be the best they can be.

They should get our support, not some “throw ya toys out of the cot” response when they are under the pump!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sydney players are just generally smarter around the contests than too many Carlton players. They turned the game by just going harder with the ball in hand - they crushed the team where it counts and that is the contested ground ball game.

There are players in the Carlton team that (literally) can't stick a tackle and don't know how to and the team was playing one out by the third quarter - Sydney outnumbering Carlton at every contest.

TDK and Pittonet beaten by Grundy - as in destroyed.

What was obvious to me and I called it during the second quarter was that Carlton was unable to stick a tackle in the forward part of the game a catastrophic failure due to lack of pressure from the forwards as a group - this freed Sydney to do as the pleased on rebound- exactly what the formula for success for them was going to be.

Carlton are back to playing too many runts that cant win a one on one and too often last night were losing two and three on ones - just horrible to watch horrible horrible horrible.

Unfortunately lack the depth to drop all of Owies/Durdin/Fantasia and Ollie Hollands - all runts shoved aside run through dismissed and destroyed all game.

Worrying was also Walsh blanketted with no help from any of his mates - who were too busy losing their one on ones all night - our midfield group as a team is very thick between the ears. You dont allow the other group to play teh way they want to - you change things - but that is a technical argument not for this place.

Three Carlton small forwards who play small, dumb and ineffective in the basics.

Lost structure all over the park - just an awful night out.

Onwards to the next challenge.

Sorry but singling out Owies who at the very least scored a goal is just plain silly.

Owies is one of our most accurate set shots and knws where to be when we play as a team. Last night did not resemble team play - we lost our system.

Look far a field and you will see we had significant issues elsewhere.
Not singling him out, merely adding him to the list.

This result is not surprising
Not being able to have a consistent team on the field due to these injury prone players is starting to show there’s only so much the rest can do and some should not even be picked as they aren’t up to standard end of year get rid of the dead wood and bring in resilient role players

@ thegreatbeast

'Why are we replacing Cincotta?'

4 Disposals - 1 kick 3 HB 2 tackles ... on ground 92%

Depend whether you think ^ that is good enough. I don't. Accepting mediocrity is part of the problem at Carlton

Starting to think Cerra is as crucial to the midfield as Weitering is to our defence

Last edited:
I'll raise you a Corey Durdin

View attachment 1991970
Somehow got taken out of consideration by a 2 year contract extension.

Gives him some time to work on getting it right, at least has speed and a willingness to tackle, unfortunately doesn’t seem to know where to be or how to make tackles hurt the ofit ion.

if the Club hadn't swatted Betts away, we'd have Stengle!
Sliding doors
Owies does his bit most weeks.
Which I pointed out keeps him in the side, comfortably.

Doesn’t win us games and adequate won’t help in finals. We need match winners in our small forwards too.

We got smashed in the guts - that's not on him.
No it is not. Clogging up space and being out of position is on him though.

We reached tipping point.
It's that simple.
No point ripping in to players who are better than we could ever be, but are more 'solid' or 'great' VFL standard than AFL.
When we need to call in more than 1 or 2 of these players, and play the top team at their home, this is what we get.

As for why we are at that point,
It's being looked at.
Either you now trust the club to be savvy enough to work through this or you become a bitter person who tears the club down at every opportunity.
You'd be better off going for a long walk, playing golf, laughing at Richmond and Saints...binge watch your fav series etc.

This mental health moment brought to you by The Equine Bar (a stable environment)
Designed by our great comrade Robertio.
A place to unwind, let off steam and sing karaoke!
OIG1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with most of that but he's still young enough and he missed basically all of last year (the games he played were injury effected). I think he'll be ok. He's got more about him than what he's showing right now - missing tackles / fumbling.

Regardless - we can't be getting the knives out for our forward pocket after a team performance like that. Their midfield went sprinting out of the front of the centre bounces for the majority of the game after quarter time. Our forward pocket had nothing to do with that embarrassment.
The problem is, he's not only a small but he's very small for AFL footy. Size is a flaw that can only be compensated for by exceptional skills, strength, speed, agility.

I'd have said he was fast before this year, but to date he's been outpaced not only by Blakey - who is legit fast in a straight line - but ****ing Jake Lever, Dayne Rampe. Grundy looked faster last night. So, if it's not pace, what is it?

He's got a good head, but playing smart footy only helps when you can impact the play. So, is he impacting the play?

Corey's had a combined 17 disposals across three weeks and no goals across his last 5 games. He's had a single 1%er in each game, from +70 percent game time, and has laid across the last three games a combined 4 tackles. If he's impacting the play, it's not visible statistically or through the naked eye.

Is it skill? Last night, he went at 33% disposal efficiency from 3 disposals.

It's not strength, agility, skills, speed or power; all in all, we're playing an undersized footballer without getting in anything remotely acceptable as a tradeoff.

And if the implication here is that he's injury affected, why in utter **** is he playing?

I said it when we picked Teague that if we don't solve the injury woes he'd be out the door. I said it when we got Voss, and all of a sudden people are starting to point to one dimensional coaching; well, if your list is always hampered by availability, of course you're going to be one dimensional. Your ability to move is hamstrung - pun intended - by your inability to do more than select positionally; you have no weapons other than what the cattle available immediately supply you. You shove Cincotta into the team and try and free up Boyd into a hybrid Saad/Newman role because Saad's out; their forward flankers get loose and busy because Boyd is doing something he's not suited to and is playing off his man. You play Ollie when he's hearing footsteps; you play Hewitt and Kennedy and Cripps in the same midfield against the fastest midfield in the comp, and they're all ****ing fumbling. Pitto is better below his knees than Cripps and Hewitt are at present.

If Doc was available, you think Ollie'd be playing? If Cerra was available, would Hewitt have been in? If Motlop or Martin were available, would Fantasia or Durdin be playing ones? If Jack was available, would we have always preferred TDK over him?

If we do not have an equivalent run with injuries that matches the current downswing, there is no justice in this world. While there are unequivocally reasons why we are so, so prone to losing important players for months at a time, at all times an element of injury is luck of the draw. You cannot predict losing Marchbank when he landed on Kemp; you cannot predict Weitering getting corked from Kemp's hip (maybe you can, I'm sensing a common link!).

I have about one more thing to say. For a player who is so vaunted for his disposal, jeez does Gov shank an awful lot of kicks and boy oh boy is he panic prone. If he's a serious footballer that will get us deep into September, I'll go he; we cannot rely on him to always be there because he's always injured; we cannot rely on his disposal to always be quality even if he can cut an opponent wide open sometimes; we cannot rely on his head to always be in the game late, because he gets the hot potatoes worse than anyone else in the squad, which is beyond perplexing for a bloke his size.

If we manage to win a flag with the bloke, it'll be because he's in our bottom 6 and has a good day.

I'm interested to see how Young goes if Weitering's out for any amount of time; he's covered pretty well before for him, even if when they play together they get in each other's way.

The problem is, he's not only a small but he's very small for AFL footy. Size is a flaw that can only be compensated for by exceptional skills, strength, speed, agility.

I'd have said he was fast before this year, but to date he's been outpaced not only by Blakey - who is legit fast in a straight line - but ******* Jake Lever, Dayne Rampe. Grundy looked faster last night. So, if it's not pace, what is it?

He's got a good head, but playing smart footy only helps when you can impact the play. So, is he impacting the play?

Corey's had a combined 17 disposals across three weeks and no goals across his last 5 games. He's had a single 1%er in each game, from +70 percent game time, and has laid across the last three games a combined 4 tackles. If he's impacting the play, it's not visible statistically or through the naked eye.

Is it skill? Last night, he went at 33% disposal efficiency from 3 disposals.

It's not strength, agility, skills, speed or power; all in all, we're playing an undersized footballer without getting in anything remotely acceptable as a tradeoff.

And if the implication here is that he's injury affected, why in utter heck is he playing?

I said it when we picked Teague that if we don't solve the injury woes he'd be out the door. I said it when we got Voss, and all of a sudden people are starting to point to one dimensional coaching; well, if your list is always hampered by availability, of course you're going to be one dimensional. Your ability to move is hamstrung - pun intended - by your inability to do more than select positionally; you have no weapons other than what the cattle available immediately supply you. You shove Cincotta into the team and try and free up Boyd into a hybrid Saad/Newman role because Saad's out; their forward flankers get loose and busy because Boyd is doing something he's not suited to and is playing off his man. You play Ollie when he's hearing footsteps; you play Hewitt and Kennedy and Cripps in the same midfield against the fastest midfield in the comp, and they're all ******* fumbling. Pitto is better below his knees than Cripps and Hewitt are at present.

If Doc was available, you think Ollie'd be playing? If Cerra was available, would Hewitt have been in? If Motlop or Martin were available, would Fantasia or Durdin be playing ones? If Jack was available, would we have always preferred TDK over him?

If we do not have an equivalent run with injuries that matches the current downswing, there is no justice in this world. While there are unequivocally reasons why we are so, so prone to losing important players for months at a time, at all times an element of injury is luck of the draw. You cannot predict losing Marchbank when he landed on Kemp; you cannot predict Weitering getting corked from Kemp's hip (maybe you can, I'm sensing a common link!).

I have about one more thing to say. For a player who is so vaunted for his disposal, jeez does Gov shank an awful lot of kicks and boy oh boy is he panic prone. If he's a serious footballer that will get us deep into September, I'll go he; we cannot rely on him to always be there because he's always injured; we cannot rely on his disposal to always be quality even if he can cut an opponent wide open sometimes; we cannot rely on his head to always be in the game late, because he gets the hot potatoes worse than anyone else in the squad, which is beyond perplexing for a bloke his size.

If we manage to win a flag with the bloke, it'll be because he's in our bottom 6 and has a good day.

I'm interested to see how Young goes if Weitering's out for any amount of time; he's covered pretty well before for him, even if when they play together they get in each other's way.
You had me till you mentioned the young name so I withdrew a like because you reminded me of what a sad bad pick looks like in an area where Carlton is way under represented.

We are a proper 2nd KPD short of serious
We are two small forwards and one mid short of proper structure for forward line and we need another smart Cerra type mid to cover for what will be Cerra's forever hamstring issues going forward.

We also need to look at the teams that beat Carlton because of one simple reason -they dont carry runts - they just dont carry runts - no runts.

I'm back to the old complaint now after watching the last four weeks- Carlton lacks enough depth in mongrel - and is also carrying far too many dumb footballers - so add no dummies to the no runt rule.

Oh and before I go out for the day and play some golf and take it out on the golf ball- Sydney watered the ground last night before the game started- apparently they do this all the time- guess how many Carltomn players slipped over and fell on their heads just trying to turn or in a contest last night - and compare to the number of Sydney players that DIDN"T ( hint: Sydney didn't have one player fall over all night)

which brings me up to another thing that really really pizzed me orf- Harry McKay falls over onto his back in every single contest - irrespective of making contact or not - LAME.

There are issues in each area of the ground and personnel is the starting point.

For starters TDK and Pitt does not work. We are down 1 player before we even start.

Weiters not being able to move from early in the first didn’t help, but when the opponents mids are waltzing through the ground with zero pressure on them, it wouldn’t matter who we had in defense.

And we play the ground so stupidly. It’s a short ground, one long kick from half back and you are in your f50, yet we continue to play wide before invariably either turning it over or losing a 1 on 1. And then get opened up through the middle. It’s dead set embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ thegreatbeast

'Why are we replacing Cincotta?'

4 Disposals - 1 kick 3 HB 2 tackles ... on ground 92%

Depend whether you think ^ that is good enough. I don't. Accepting mediocrity is part of the problem at Carlton

Starting to think Cerra is as crucial to the midfield as Weitering is to our defence
Cincotta was all over Pap when there was some defensive pressure applied up the ground.
For me he was one who was doing his job & stuck fat to the task until everyone else imploded.
Once that happened all bets are off, Pap is a very good footballer & will tear anyone apart once structure falls away.

At the very least u know he will continue to try & do his job.
The broken tackles & simple skill errors up the field made his job impossible.

We looked tired and slow. Injuries taking a toll. Sydney were much faster, played at a higher intensity and we had no answers. As with playing better sides our holes showed. Lack of pace all around the ground and lack of natural forwards. No closing speed to defend and pressure or line breaking run. Fumbled a lot. Just weren't good enough last night.

We reached tipping point.
It's that simple.
No point ripping in to players who are better than we could ever be, but are more 'solid' or 'great' VFL standard than AFL.
When we need to call in more than 1 or 2 of these players, and play the top team at their home, this is what we get.

As for why we are at that point,
It's being looked at.
Either you now trust the club to be savvy enough to work through this or you become a bitter person who tears the club down at every opportunity.
You'd be better off going for a long walk, playing golf, laughing at Richmond and Saints...binge watch your fav series etc.

This mental health moment brought to you by The Equine Bar (a stable environment)
Designed by our great comrade Robertio.
A place to unwind, let off steam and sing karaoke!
View attachment 1992046
Looks like a place i could spend the rest of the weekend in.

Back