2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

No-one but it always seems to be an expectation of supporters.
True, but hopefully by next year we'd have found a solid mix of mids. Steele & Dow at full flight should improve our mids a couple steps further, while Clark with a full pre-season hopefully can too altho been saying that for years now. Pou with his work ethic and another pre-season could be a breakout contender touch wood

Reminds me a bit of sanders

Watched some clips of him and his disposal was pretty horrific. I'd like to watch the TL match and see how he went.

Believe we need to invest in 3-4 mids this draft.. 2 first rounders and 2 more at later rounds.. Dalrymple has a knack of picking mids as he believes the game is won from the midfield, just look at his former teams Bulldogs + Swans.. we should be in good hands
Probably 2 + Elwood Peckett. Also need to get Cole and a Sandy player. Maybe Lennox as a rookie

Probably 2 + Elwood Peckett. Also need to get Cole and a Sandy player. Maybe Lennox as a rookie
A bit will depend on if the draft NGA rules change this year.
I think we need to snaffle another 2ndRDP or we'll be stuck with what we've got, and I'm looking squarely at Doogle Howard to supply it. We need to get busy early, last year was the perfect blueprint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we need to snaffle another 2ndRDP or we'll be stuck with what we've got, and I'm looking squarely at Doogle Howard to supply it. We need to get busy early, last year was the perfect blueprint.
We are not getting a 2nd rounder for Doug, can't see it happening

Still a lot to play out with ladder positions and changes to academy rules... but I think given the evenness of the draft and lack of standouts in our range we should be looking at splitting our first. Sacrilege I know.

Leo Lombard is an interesting one. Gold Coast academy player, seems to have risen to pick 5-7 on a lot of draft boards. GC at the moment have picks 8, 10 and 20. Assuming (however unlikely) things stay as they are we could potentially offer pick 5 for some combination of those picks, to give them a pick inside the bid.

Similar to the GC/Dogs trade last year for Dogs to get pick 4 and inside the Croft bid, and hopefully just as lopsided.

So a pick directly after our first round pick - quick get those surgeries happening - now!!!!

If we lose Battle and trade out Howard it will leave us very exposed in defence. You can see how the club have Shoenmaker and Keeler in mind to replace Battle. Perhaps Caminiti replaces Howard who knows, but unless the club can replace either with a ready to play upgrade (highly unlikely) it will cause a major void in experience down back. I dont want to lose Battle, but I can see how the club believe the best way to improve our midfield talent is with early draft picks.

Van Es if he gets an extension may develop into a Howard replacement but thats sometime away and very speculative. I think our list can cope with losing 1 but not both next year, we just dont have the exposed talent ready to go. Cordy has really shown to be a solid VFL player but as an AFL option in reality he is a list clogger and was a poor recruiting decision. Whats worse is I think contractually we are stuck with him for another year.

Apparently we are into some of Adelaides fringe tall defenders, but how advanced can those players possibily be if they are not getting a game for the Crows. I guess the other option is use one of our early picks on a key defender eg Trainor but that really defeats the purpose. The overall message is we have such a void between the experienced players and developing kids we have huge list holes where is there is no easy fix.

Last edited:
If we lose Battle and trade out Howard it will leave us very exposed in defence. You can see how the club have Shoenmaker and Keeler in mind to replace Battle. Perhaps Caminiti replaces Howard who knows, but unless the club can replace either with a ready to play upgrade (highly unlikely) it will cause a major void in experience down back. I dont want to lose Battle, but I can see how the club believe the best way to improve our midfield talent is with early draft picks.

Van Es if he gets an extension may develop into a Howard replacement but thats sometime away and very speculative. I think our list can cope with losing 1 but not both next year, we just dont have the exposed talent ready to go. Cordy has really shown to be a solid VFL player but as an AFL option in reality he is a list clogger and was a poor recruiting decision. Whats worse is I think contractually we are stuck with him for another year.

Apparently we are into some of Adelaides fringe tall defenders, but how advanced can those players possibily be if they are not getting a game for the Crows. I guess the other option is use one of our early picks on a key defender eg Trainor but that really defeats the purpose. The overall message is we have such a void between the experienced players and developing kids we have huge list holes where is there is no easy fix.
Howards spot is much harder to fill than Battle's plus the return for losing Howard is much less than what we might get for losing Battle.

Cordy was picked up as cheap back up - the fact that he has played more than 50% of games since he was signed justifies his contract.

Taking the examples given if we trade Doogs and get Butts it's very much like for like and Butts is several years younger. Thats a win

Wilkie has played CHB at times and done very well and between Hammer, Ari, Keeler and JVE there's ample options to develop another KPP.
Others might not agree but Stocker was a significant piece of what made our defence no1 last year so hopefully he gets back and in form next year.

I don't think it's that dire so long as we can keep or get 1 proper KPD. Cordy is still gonna be there but obvs not desirable as a solution.

Elwood and Cole might not even get drafted at the moment. Don't think we need picks for them at this stage. Both look outside pick 40 types.

Howards spot is much harder to fill than Battle's plus the return for losing Howard is much less than what we might get for losing Battle.

Cordy was picked up as cheap back up - the fact that he has played more than 50% of games since he was signed justifies his contract.

If you read ScrappyDo's later reply it seems we are as good as replacing Howard with Butts from Adelaide. I dont know much about Butts however trust Gubby and SOS to make the right call. I have openly said Howard is a GOP and believe we need to look for a full back who is capable of actually taking an intercept mark rather than just spoil.

I disagree re Cordy yes we got him for zip as a free agent backup, he did cost $$$ in the cap and a 3 year contract. This in my mind is 3 years of missed opportunity to grab a player with a much greater future. He has played a number of games due to injury, but gees every game has been flawed and the greater percentage he was subbed out because of his limited output.

Still a lot to play out with ladder positions and changes to academy rules... but I think given the evenness of the draft and lack of standouts in our range we should be looking at splitting our first. Sacrilege I know.

Leo Lombard is an interesting one. Gold Coast academy player, seems to have risen to pick 5-7 on a lot of draft boards. GC at the moment have picks 8, 10 and 20. Assuming (however unlikely) things stay as they are we could potentially offer pick 5 for some combination of those picks, to give them a pick inside the bid.

Similar to the GC/Dogs trade last year for Dogs to get pick 4 and inside the Croft bid, and hopefully just as lopsided.

Probably depends if Jagga Smith goes before our pick. We might trade down then. Doubt they change the rules like that anyway. Probably just costs them that pick 8 and the points system means they use it as picks in the 40s and 50s become worthless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back