2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you watch his game on the weekend?

Not all of it yet but from everything last year and this year his elite traits are his ball gathering and slipperiness in traffic. His kicking is good enough but he's not one of those guys that seems to have the game unfold out in front of him and dishes off to the perfect option out in space. He's a little terrier who chases and chases ball.

He's been my favourite since I saw him last year. Sort of hoped a bigger mid might push up but certainly would love to get him. Perhaps chase a big bodied kid like Langford with our Adelaide pick.

Watch until the end. He starts slow but shows a bit once he gets going including a gather on the boundary and a snap goal.Reminds me of Acres for some reason. Perhaps just the look of him but seems to be a bit of a different operator.

Did you watch his game on the weekend?

If we end up with only 1 top 10 pick Jagga is not the player I would chose, if there were others available. There is no doubt he can find the ball and is good in traffic - my concern is how his attributes translate to the AFL. He is so lightly built and is not overly quick, I think he would be physically targetted and completely shut out of games playing against men. Plus its not like he has the frame to build a midfielders body on either.

Body wise he is similiar to Butters but he plays nothing like him, he doesnt have the burst of pace or similiar running game, he is more a Tom Mitchell type IMO.

Last edited:
I love this kid too. Looks like a young David Mundy.

If we end up with only 1 top 10 pick Jagga is not the player I would chose, if there were others available. There is no doubt he can find the ball and is good in traffic - my concern is how his attributes translate to the AFL. He is so lightly built and is not overly quick, I think he would be physically targetted and completely shut out of games playing against men. Plus its no like he has the frame to build a midfielders body on either.

Body wise he is similiar to Butters but he plays nothing like him, he doesnt have the burst of pace or similiar running game, he is more a Tom Mitchell type IMO.

I've come back around. Rewatched lots of highlights. O'Sullivan is a gun but will be gone. Lalor has pretty terrible disposal and not a great deal of X factor despite the comparisons to Dusty.

Jagga is the type that could be the best player in the league or a bit of not quite big enough for midfield forward but would still be good.

There just isn't much I'd reach for and he's going to be good to watch at a minimum.

I've come back around. Rewatched lots of highlights. O'Sullivan is a gun but will be gone. Lalor has pretty terrible disposal and not a great deal of X factor despite the comparisons to Dusty.

Jagga is the type that could be the best player in the league or a bit of not quite big enough for midfield forward but would still be good.

There just isn't much I'd reach for and he's going to be good to watch at a minimum.

You are probably right re Smith but I wouldnt be unhappy with any of - Taj Hotton, Sid Draper, Christian Moraes or Sam Lalor. I dont know what you saw to suggest Lalor's disposal is terrible, that is simply not correct. His kicking is solid without being elite, but his hands are elite, as is his burst speed and marking for a guy his size. Go and watch his games total rather than relying on the 2 x highlight videos available.

My concerns remain re Smith's size, although he did play well for the Academy against a VFL sides.

Expected draft picks

1. North - OSullivan/Smillie/Trainor
2. Richmond - OSullivan/Smillie/Smith
3. WCE - Draper/Whitlock/Trainor/Smith
4. Saints - Smith/Smillie/Moraes/Lalor
5. Adelaide - Draper/OFarrell/Whitlock/Faull

If somehow we end up with another early pick lets hope Taj Hotton is available.

Last edited:

I'm not that fussed about X-factor , if we can have a Jack Viney type workhouse, i think its what we need.

He looks like he has a skinny frame. Looks more whippet than staffy.
Just checked out his 34 disposal champs game highlight package and fmd what's this crap about his frame size. He already makes plenty of bigger guys look like spuds through skill alone, so a bit more strength will go a long way. If you're good enough you're big enough.

Safe to say that FOS and Smillie will be gone and Draper won't make it pased the Crows. WC probably take Trainor but could also conceivably trade down.
We're very likely to have access to Smith and/or Lalor and projecting ahead with Pou, Hugo, Windy and Chito plus whoever else rolls in, it seems like just enough to go with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just checked out his 34 disposal champs game highlight package and fmd what's this crap about his frame size. He already makes plenty of bigger guys look like spuds through skill alone, so a bit more strength will go a long way. If you're good enough you're big enough.

Safe to say that FOS and Smillie will be gone and Draper won't make it pased the Crows. WC probably take Trainor but could also conceivably trade down.
We're very likely to have access to Smith and/or Lalor and projecting ahead with Pou, Hugo, Windy and Chito plus whoever else rolls in, it seems like just enough to go with.

Think you might be in for a surprise.

Smillie could get through to St Kilda under a few scenario's, particularly if Lalor pushes into the top group with some Champs appearances.

More Kelpie than Whippet imo.

Gone off Lalor a bit. Needs a big end of the year push to come up that far. Smith is as slippery as an eel but you don’t get as much time and space. I think he’ll be fine but there are always questions over every player apart from guys like Harley Reid.

Smillie could get through to St Kilda under a few scenario's, particularly if Lalor pushes into the top group with some Champs appearances.

Smilie suits you guys I think. Especially if you lose Zurhar. Who do you think you take?

You are probably right re Smith but I wouldnt be unhappy with any of - Taj Hotton, Sid Draper, Christian Moraes or Sam Lalor. I dont know what you saw to suggest Lalor's disposal is terrible, that is simply not correct. His kicking is solid without being elite, but his hands are elite, as is his burst speed and marking for a guy his size. Go and watch his games total rather than relying on the 2 x highlight videos available.

My concerns remain re Smith's size, although he did play well for the Academy against a VFL sides.

Expected draft picks

1. North - OSullivan/Smillie/Trainor
2. Richmond - OSullivan/Smillie/Smith
3. WCE - Draper/Whitlock/Trainor/Smith
4. Saints - Smith/Smillie/Moraes/Lalor
5. Adelaide - Draper/OFarrell/Whitlock/Faull

If somehow we end up with another early pick lets hope Taj Hotton is available.

Faul would be good for the Crows. They need goal kickers. Reminds me or Curnow.

From our perspective it's a matter of weather we get pick 4, 5, or 6.
It looks like the top group is starting to solidify around that 5 to 6 mark so would be a matter of whoever is left on the board which has worked alright for us the last 3 years running.

Smilie suits you guys I think. Especially if you lose Zurhar. Who do you think you take?

Smillie isn't really that versatile like you think he is.

I'd say FOS would be probably the clubs first preference, as he's a point of difference to what we have. Potentially Lalor after that as he's also versatile. Then Smillie, then Smith.

Where Trainor would fit is another consideration. But I don't think a KPD is as big a priority as most in the media make out.

Richmond like FOS and there's been some talk around WCE and Smith as Reid is good mates with Jagga.

It may come down to who we take gets through to you lot and the Hawks/Suns if given an option of FOS/Lalor/Smillie.

If Lalor pushes into the top 3 or 4, I think Smillie may be the slider of all of them.

Then there's Draper who is another who could push into that group with a big 3-4 months. However, you would think he's a moral for the Crows if available, as he's also precisely the type they need as well.

It's pretty even and comes down to list balance a little bit.

Gone off Lalor a bit. Needs a big end of the year push to come up that far. Smith is as slippery as an eel but you don’t get as much time and space. I think he’ll be fine but there are always questions over every player apart from guys like Harley Reid.
Based on needs both would be ideal. I can see us going for Draper too. I guess it depends on where our other young mids are projected to end up and what's mising after that.
All 3 of the above are very different types, probably Draper being the lowest risk.
Smith's ability to hit players in space is exceptional, whilst the others can be found in every draft. He's quick on the spread, composed, slippery and racks it up. All that whilst looking like a toothpick. Lalor is an excellent Staffie, similar to Windy in that regard.

Were it me, I'd trade the F1st if it secured that double. Pay Batts and buy Stengle. Get Butts and piss Doogs off. Listen to offers on Ro. Talk to Zuhaar.

Smillie isn't really that versatile like you think he is.
I'd say FOS would be probably the clubs first preference, as he's a point of difference to what we have. Potentially Lalor after that as he's also versatile. Then Smillie, then Smith.
Where Trainor would fit is another consideration. But I don't think a KPD is as big a priority as most in the media make out.
Richmond like FOS and there's been some talk around WCE and Smith as Reid is good mates with Jagga.
It may come down to who we take gets through to you lot and the Hawks/Suns if given an option of FOS/Lalor/Smillie.
If Lalor pushes into the top 3 or 4, I think Smillie may be the slider of all of them.
Then there's Draper who is another who could push into that group with a big 3-4 months. However, you would think he's a moral for the Crows if available, as he's also precisely the type they need as well.
It's pretty even and comes down to list balance a little bit.

It makes sense list wise for North to trade out of the No 1 pick this year. There just isnt that stand out No 1 choice like previous years. Surely you dont need more midfielders and would prefer tall forwards or key defenders?

Would love a second first round pick around 10-12 to target Jack Whitlock…. 200cm key forward who can ruck, get Max up the ground to CHF and slot Whitlock into FF… Owens third tall with Higgins, Collard/Stengle and Henry at their feet… delicious

Would love a second first round pick around 10-12 to target Jack Whitlock…. 200cm key forward who can ruck, get Max up the ground to CHF and slot Whitlock into FF… Owens third tall with Higgins, Collard/Stengle and Henry at their feet… delicious

I reckon some of the best players in this draft might go in the second round. An even draft with an average top end but plenty that look like AFL level players.

It makes sense list wise for North to trade out of the No 1 pick this year. There just isnt that stand out No 1 choice like previous years. Surely you dont need more midfielders and would prefer tall forwards or key defenders?

I don’t think we will have the number 1 pick anyway.

I think we will take a mid with our first pick. Look at a key forward with our second rounder.

Key defenders aren’t a big priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back