News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get it, Lyon has openly said since he arrived that he wants a different game plan with speed. But the old game plan certainly looks in play this year, but he has also come out said that it's all on the players. But why would they want to play so boringly?

It’s a strange dilemma. We need the playing group, senior leaders to start pulling levers game day as to how they need to change speed of ball movement during moments in game, rather than going from one extreme to another, game to game to manage turnovers.

We’ve heard for some time how coach able this side is, at what stage do we get out of an education phase and players start throwing their weight around.

Back line looks very settled and organised led by Wilkie, but I think we’d all struggle to say the same for the rest of the ground. Desperately need some of these kids to become our next leaders.

Last edited:
It’s a strange dilemma. We need the playing group, senior leaders to start pulling levers game day as to how they need to change speed of ball movement during moments in game, rather than going from one extreme to another, game to game to manage turnovers.

We’ve heard for some time how coach able this side is, at what stage do we get out of an education phase and players start throwing their weight around.

Back line looks very settled and organised led by Wilkie, but I think we’d all struggle to say the same for the rest of the ground. Desperately need some of these kids to become our next leaders.
We need midfield leaders and a leader in the forward line.

Steele is the closest thing in the mids, although I think Windy will probably end up as that for us, and Skunk is the closest we have at the moment down forward, and that is a real issue, I don't know what the answer is there, maybe Snags?......

A huge part of the problem is our thin and ordinary midfield being stretched by injury and our thin and ordinary small forwards group is also battered. We are playing to stay competitive not to win. Then the players in the side are coasting because they have an excuse with injury.

Chased Draper, chased De Goey - chased any number of players over the last few years. Why?

Because its always been part of the strategy.

In fact its every clubs strategy - Draft, trade and buy.
Bassett and Lyon are on the record as saying we will continue to go to the national draft for 2 more seasons and then chase FAs.

They need to stick that plan and not get desperate for the quick fix...we've been down that path before and it doesn't work

That's exactly what it is Cairnsman.
Yeah I suspected as much Watto, I think the club's current plan to continue to go to the national draft for at least the next 2 seasons before looking at FAs is a solid plan and will be imperative with Tasmania coming in. But even with Tasmania being a factor and diluting the talent pool further, I think we've proven that the quick fix and war chest strategy is a flawed strategy.

For example, take a look at when we bought in Hanners and then subsequently the fab five in 2019, that strategy could have worked provided we could keep it going for the next 3 to 5 years as the proven formula for a flag is approximately 25 flag type players standing on the last day in September. Clearly it's not a sustainable strategy for acquiring 25 GF types capable of contending.

You just can't buy flags anymore.

Last edited:
A huge part of the problem is our thin and ordinary midfield being stretched by injury and our thin and ordinary small forwards group is also battered. We are playing to stay competitive not to win. Then the players in the side are coasting because they have an excuse with injury.
We all knew our midfield is the problem even with a in form Steele and Crouch we don't have that midfielder that really can turn a game , at least now they have given Seb a break allowing us to give someone else time in the middle.
Windhager will be a player , he has shown enough now to start to establish himself in the midfield but now we have to find someone else in there.
To me Owens a natural , however by the looks they rather him forward.
Zac Jones has been brought back into the fold and at best he is just one of the rotations when the core mids need a break , Dow will get his chance to show what his got and it will be good to see how our midfield goes.
Will they give Henry a crack in the middle against his old side.

Yeah I suspected as much Watto, I think the club's current plan to continue to go to the national draft for at least the next 2 seasons before looking at FAs is a solid plan and will be imperative with Tasmania coming in. But even with Tasmania being a factor and diluting the talent pool further, I think we've proven that the quick fix and war chest strategy is a flawed strategy.

For example, take a look at when we bought in Hanners and then subsequently the fab five in 2019, that strategy could have worked provided we could keep it going for the next 3 to 5 years as the proven formula for a flag is approximately 25 flag type players standing on the last day in September. Clearly it's not a sustainable strategy for acquiring 25 GF types capable of contending.

You just can't buy flags anymore.
If going by the offer they made to the Blues key defender it looks like they want F.As now , the thing I would be looking at is attempting to get 2 high draft picks this year , we should get a high draft pick this year the way we are going but I would attempt to get another somehow.

If going by the offer they made to the Blues key defender it looks like they want F.As now , the thing I would be looking at is attempting to get 2 high draft picks this year , we should get a high draft pick this year the way we are going but I would attempt to get another somehow.
They offered him Jack shyte

Except they never made a an offer to Weitering. Made up BS, probably started by Weitering's manager as a negotiation tactic.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back