List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Timely reminder that we already have a bloke every bit as good as stengle- and pay him probably half of what stengle would have cost.

1000009168.jpg

Mids mids mids mids mids.

Macrae + parker + caleb daniel (sinclair to fulltime mid) for zero trade cost- suddenly we have a shot at contending before the likes of roma, steele, sinclair, wilkie get too old.

We may as well do something to our midfield with our 'warchest'.

I don't care whether we go that way- or the complete reverse; ie not bring anyone new in and trading out a steele or marshall or sinclair type for a top 10 pick.

We need to sh*t, or get off the pot.

Are the likes of 29yo sinclair, roma, steele, wilkie ever going to play in a flag contending saints team?

Might be possible(?) but it's not going to happen without drastic action.

If we don't want to take THAT drastic action- we need to be brave and look at major ways of adding extra elite talent in the 18-20 bracket.

Timely reminder that we already have a bloke every bit as good as stengle- and pay him probably half of what stengle would have cost.

View attachment 2034168

Macrae + parker + caleb daniel (sinclair to fulltime mid) for zero trade cost- suddenly we have a shot at contending before the likes of roma, steele, sinclair, wilkie get too old.

I don't care whether we go that way- or the complete reverse; ie not bring anyone new in and trading out a steele or marshall or sinclair type for a top 10 pick.

Are the likes of 29yo sinclair, roma, steele, wilkie ever going to play in a flag contending saints team?

If we don't want to take THAT drastic action- we need to be brave and look at major ways of adding extra elite talent in the 18-20 bracket.

I reckon we need another small pressure forward too.

View attachment 2034168

What mids are FA like Stengle?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2034168

Got to spend the war chest on someone

We have probably the worst crumbers in the contest.
If the ball goes to ground in our forward line, no chance one of ours will get it and put it through.
Far more likely it goes to the defense and down their end.

Even with our lack of Mids Mids...derp...more mids.
We get a lot of balls into our 50. But unless its a clean mark its gone.

Kill for Milney and Schnieder.

Had a day to think about this
What could a club offer/have that could let Jack S go?
He is 29 start of next year with three years to run.

Would have to be two first rounders but what club needs an inside mid and has picks that would work..?

The cats or Essendon don’t have the picks. If that cats gave this years first (pick 7) and next years first (pick 3) and stengle…they can have the man of steel
one first rounder is plenty for me

i say its not.
Not as solid, but caminiti, sharman, and shoey if we want to go more attacking could all play a role in replacing battle.. we've also got keeler and van es (long shot) developing..

hell even timmy membrey could be trialled back there as he's a pretty good intercepter and might solve his poor form, probs not but could be worth trialling if the alternative is to give him the axe

Why make a hole to fill a hole?
because we have players to step up, sharman, caminiti, maybe hayes if he's fit, ari etc.. what we need are some gun mids. If we can turn battle into a pick 6 gun mid then it's an obvious net win.. I mean really this is list management 101, if this doesn't make sense to you nothing will

A great post there Sunshine Sainter.

We live in an "instant gratification" society.

And as you say above......we naturally want it with our footy side....that incredibly elusive 2nd big shiny cup.

I like you have been waiting about 100 years....lol.

I ain't getting any younger !!!!!!!

The one thing that "Fred" has been consistent about is that there will be no short cuts this time.

Loved his interview with the "Lord of the Scotch"

Great that we now have a Prez who is speaking out....loudly....about the inequalities of the AFL "free enterprise system"

Prez admits that he wasn't hands on enough pre Ratts getting the DCM.....he simply trusted his Lieutenants getting the correct info to him....ummmm !!!!

We simply have to "get it right" this time with Tassie on the Horizon.....I can almost taste the delicious draft concessions etc that they will receive.......ala GWS and GC when they entered the comp(we picked an awesome time to bottom out back in 2013/2014....NOT !!!! )

We may pass the combined century between us (65 here). Seeing more positives in this approach. Think of how much flak that Hawthorn went through when they went the longer route, rather than the quick fix. And now we are starting to see the positives with them (as much as I dislike seeing positives from bloody Hawthorn).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are so far behind by the time we start and really haven't got much to feel confident about. You can't draft your way out of this and bottoming out like North did while Tassie comes in is exactly what we did when GWS and the Suns were coming in. We can demand standards. We pay our memberships so own a stake in the club. It's dangerous for any organisation to ignore their stakeholders.

We deserve some level of accountability for 14 years of failure. I have just as much right to complain about the club as you feel to complain about my posts.

Gringo you are absolutely right in that you have every right to complain about any and all aspects of the club. That was not the intention of my post, but rather that not all at the club, is as bad as you portray.

The club has for once taken the hard decision to stop the short term decision making and has systematically improved facilities, admin, coaching, support, list management, player payments, recruitment of youth, accountability in player contracts, improvement in training, player fitness, player support, retention of first round draft picks, trading out players who wont take us to the next premiership, expanding our national draft quality and number of draft picks, and having a president. who will stand up publicly to demand change to inequalities in the AFL that disadvantage St Kilda.

So yes you have the right to see fault with most things, but as do I and others have the right to call this out. There are improvements everywhere, if you choose to look. Bassat said last year we are taking a longer, more considered approach and that we may go backwards in order to improve. That is where we are now and I am the most optimistic and encouraged by all of this than I have been since 2010.

I love your passion and appreciate your many insights and comments on here, but just to say that there is a lack of appreciation that the club are not accepting middle of the road and are seeking long term real success. Go Saints.

My feeling is that we will keep Battle.

BUT I have been thinking and if we are going to get band one I can see the appeal. On an open market a pick like 6 if it ends up that is way overs for him.

Battle is a very good player, not elite though.

The issue is even the high end of the draft is a gamble. But I can see the appeal of adding two top ten picks at this stage.

My feeling is that we will keep Battle.

BUT I have been thinking and if we are going to get band one I can see the appeal. On an open market a pick like 6 if it ends up that is way overs for him.

Battle is a very good player, not elite though.

The issue is even the high end of the draft is a gamble. But I can see the appeal of adding two top ten picks at this stage.
I like the idea mostly because you can stuff up one top 5 pick but it’s almost impossible to stuff two up. And before anyone quotes me yes I know we had 7+8 in 2017 but we had one of the worst recruiters in history at the time, and top 5 picks are a different ballgame to late top 10’s.

Now imagine nailing both of them. I’m willing to take that gamble on an ok player like Battle. It’s almost negligent not to.

Had a day to think about this
What could a club offer/have that could let Jack S go?
He is 29 start of next year with three years to run.

Would have to be two first rounders but what club needs an inside mid and has picks that would work..?

The cats or Essendon don’t have the picks. If that cats gave this years first (pick 7) and next years first (pick 3) and stengle…they can have the man of steel
Talk about overrating our own players , Boy oh Boy

Thank GOD that deal didn't happen! Feck me dead that is just madness. Bloke only came right 2 years ago in the Geelong system. Absolutely playing with fire Saints smh. Imagine we get the Adelaide Stengle for $4.5m over 6........ what are they thinking!
Agree. Stengle is a good player and you'd take him on your list, but that deal is ridiculous. He really saved us from ourselves there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back