2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bo Allan write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bo Allan write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks good since moving on ball. He's not a finesse type but looks like one of those perfect tough on ballers that we need. I reckon he goes mid to late first round unfortunately and probably too much of a reach for us but he's another who looks like what we need more of. Maybe there is some way we could trade up our second rounder if he's still around at some point.

He looks like he has a skinny frame. Looks more whippet than staffy.
He was very good again on the weekend I’d be pretty happy if we called his name. The kid wins the ball and makes very good decisions about the only thing other than his size is taking the game on more himself. There was a period in the game in the third quarter when metro were behind and he was everywhere. His ability to win the ball and find a team mate, switch inside etc was AA and it was sustained dominance.

It would be a Rowell & Anderson like combo if we get that extra pick and put a bull beside him.

He was very good again on the weekend I’d be pretty happy if we called his name. The kid wins the ball and makes very good decisions about the only thing other than his size is taking the game on more himself. There was a period in the game in the third quarter when metro were behind and he was everywhere. His ability to win the ball and find a team mate, switch inside etc was AA and it was sustained dominance.

It would be a Rowell & Anderson like combo if we get that extra pick and put a bull beside him.
Clark & Coffield....

Yeah but how many metres gained did he get? ;)

He looks good since moving on ball. He's not a finesse type but looks like one of those perfect tough on ballers that we need. I reckon he goes mid to late first round unfortunately and probably too much of a reach for us but he's another who looks like what we need more of. Maybe there is some way we could trade up our second rounder if he's still around at some point.
If Allan keeps tracking the way that article suggests he is then he probably won't end up being a reach at all.

If Allan keeps tracking the way that article suggests he is then he probably won't end up being a reach at all.

I can’t see him jumping that much. I reckon he’s probably somewhere between pick 8 to 15 even if he pushes up. A few talls are starting to show a bit and could push ahead of him too.

You can’t go wrong with a top 5 pick this year. There isn’t a paddy Dow with iffy disposal at the top end.

I find this draft really uninspiring at the front end. It runs even and quite deep but I reckon this one could have a few misses early and some like the Whitlocks who look like the McKays, O'Farrell, Berry, Travaglia, Champion, Dodson etc who could end up being guns.

I find this draft really uninspiring at the front end. It runs even and quite deep but I reckon this one could have a few misses early and some like the Whitlocks who look like the McKays, O'Farrell, Berry, Travaglia, Champion, Dodson etc who could end up being guns.

Exactly when you look at the draft lists and who might go where, there just isn't the same quality of players available as last year. Although I think last year will go down as one of the stronger drafts in recent years. I think the only positions this year that has last covered in value picks is in the small forwards and tall forwards who can ruck.

I've been racking my mind wondering who Josh Smillie reminded me of and finally realised it is David Mundy of Freo. I think he will end up a very similiar work horse style player to Mundy.

If we are looking for a young ruckman at this draft we couldn't have picked a worst draft, there just isn't the numbers or quality of players available. Even the midfielders are no where as ready to play as what last year presented eg Darcy Wilson would go top 5 this year IMO.

Last edited:
I've watched a bit of him and love him but he's kind of unique. He's not really classy, his disposal is pretty average, he gets his own ball but he just reads where to go really well. Guys that win their own ball show that they have a confidence and ability to read the play. I'm not 100% sure on hoe he will translate yet. I think he'll be very good but for what we need those inside extractors are much more urgent.

Lalor is really appealing for that reason. Hopefully by the end of the season we'll have a better idea of the order.
Sounds like Will Brodie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Will Brodie.

Nothing like Brodie. I can't think of anyone like Jagga. He's kind of slippery but not in a Pendles way. He's quick enough but not fast, he's proper unique. I think he's a natural footballer that has that innate sense for where the ball will go and doesn't have to work for it.

He's got a bit of the Hunter Clark vibe but higher possession and a bit more ability to move through traffic. HC was a really slippery in his draft year but I think injury and attitude stopped HC ever getting to the expected level. Both have the ability to move the ball in a positive way even if it doesn't always look attractive.

Nothing like Brodie. I can't think of anyone like Jagga. He's kind of slippery but not in a Pendles way. He's quick enough but not fast, he's proper unique. I think he's a natural footballer that has that innate sense for where the ball will go and doesn't have to work for it.

He's got a bit of the Hunter Clark vibe but higher possession and a bit more ability to move through traffic. HC was a really slippery in his draft year but I think injury and attitude stopped HC ever getting to the expected level. Both have the ability to move the ball in a positive way even if it doesn't always look attractive.

Dal Santo maybe?

Dal Santo maybe?
He's quicker than Dal...more inside, handballs more than kicks. I still see the Rozee resemblance. Centre-square Rozee, not streaming goal-kicking Rozee

He reminds me of the Burgoyne brothers, a one touch player with ridiculous vision and the ability to swivel and get himself time to put team mates into space.

He reminds me of the Burgoyne brothers, a one touch player with ridiculous vision and the ability to swivel and get himself time to put team mates into space.

I don't get the class and vision with him. More repeat efforts. I think he's a very good player still but Burgoynes had that class that I don't think stands out with him.

Zac Merrett ... Darcy Parish?

Zac Merrett ... Darcy Parish?

Not really. He's pretty unusual to me. He's not got poise and balance like Pendles and Dal but he moves through traffic like an eel. He's quite frenetic in his repeat efforts and he's quite twitchy and quick reflexed but not particularly speedy. His best trait is that he's like a ball-fetching Jack Russell that no matter how many times you throw the ball he comes running back with it.

He gets Butters and Rozee comparisons because of his looks and size but he's not as contested as Butters and not as freakish as Rozee. I got a feeling he'll end up the best player at our pick though regardless.

Twomey flagged Jagga as one who’ll potentially start as a half back like Harry Sheezel while he builds up his body. Picking him and Lalor would look the exact same as Norf picking Sheezel and Wardlaw

Not sure Lalor is going to be as good as Wardlaw.

Not really. He's pretty unusual to me. He's not got poise and balance like Pendles and Dal but he moves through traffic like an eel. He's quite frenetic in his repeat efforts and he's quite twitchy and quick reflexed but not particularly speedy. His best trait is that he's like a ball-fetching Jack Russell that no matter how many times you throw the ball he comes running back with it.

He gets Butters and Rozee comparisons because of his looks and size but he's not as contested as Butters and not as freakish as Rozee. I got a feeling he'll end up the best player at our pick though regardless.
:thumbsu:

Maybe like a young Simon Black?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back