Toast Zach Guthrie - Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see this... taken his fair share of lumps..

and now sticking them where all good lumps can fit.

Best 22 for balance each week and seems to be getter better. Some one has to make way for Stewy but IMO the 39 will line up next to the 44 when the time comes.

Not sure the 42 will be so lucky.

GO Catters

If there was any integrity around here, there would be so many more posts in the 'I was Wrong' thread about our Zuth. Has absolutely given it to all the puerile nonsense spouted here about him being a million miles off being old enough or good enough to play in the AFL.

And the rounded contribution to the team's output just keeps growing and growing with every game. That was a crucial shot on goal last night, with the Blues having crept closer after half-time with a goal against the run of play. He went back and absolutely nailed the shot. And then jogged back to position as if he was just finishing an elementary drill at training from earlier in the week.

The club is now reaping the rewards of patience with a player that showed flashes right from the start and simply needed lots of time to build confidence in himself, his game, and his body. Another 'best 22' player at the Cattery who's come all the way from the rookie list to properly belonging in the senior team of what is still a very strong club.

IWWT.

If there was any integrity around here, there would be so many more posts in the 'I was Wrong' thread about our Zuth. Has absolutely given it to all the puerile nonsense spouted here about him being a million miles off being old enough or good enough to play in the AFL.

And the rounded contribution to the team's output just keeps growing and growing with every game. That was a crucial shot on goal last night, with the Blues having crept closer after half-time with a goal against the run of play. He went back and absolutely nailed the shot. And then jogged back to position as if he was just finishing an elementary drill at training from earlier in the week.

The club is now reaping the rewards of patience with a player that showed flashes right from the start and simply needed lots of time to build confidence in himself, his game, and his body. Another 'best 22' player at the Cattery who's come all the way from the rookie list to properly belonging in the senior team of what is still a very strong club.

IWWT.
Can happily say this season is giving me so much joy, and not in a haha everyone else was wrong kinda way. That’s petty.

More in a vindication sense. One of the few who stuck with Atkins and one of the even fewer who defended Zuthrie from the start. Hopefully Kolo repays that faith in spades.

Can happily say this season is giving me so much joy, and not in a haha everyone else was wrong kinda way. That’s petty.

More in a vindication sense. One of the few who stuck with Atkins and one of the even fewer who defended Zuthrie from the start. Hopefully Kolo repays that faith in spades.
It's just fantastic to see the boys succeed, I agree. Particularly when portions of their own fan base have hammered them more than the wider footy public over the journey.

I'm probably still guilty of being a believer in too many of the boys we put on the list every year. But it is really pleasing when they kick on and frank the sense you had that there was actually 'something there' that the player (and the club) have then been able to harness to forge a senior career.

All 3 solid depth players in the best 20-24 on our list. I'm glad we have them

Something i've noticed about Zuth- if he gets to a marking contest late he always makes the opposing played earn it. Stays just on the right side of giving away 50, slows down their gather and play after the mark. Keep an eye on it next game, its quite a skill he's developed. Great to see him sink the goal on the weekend as well, was a real steadier (though very lucky to get the cheap 50)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has always had it in him. Just needed to gain some size and in turn confidence. When he came into this season looking like a developed man sized human I was quietly confident. He has always been skillful and poised enough. So pleased for him and the club that he has been able to kick on. He is a solid soldier now, and one we can count on when sphincters are tightening around him. Great work Zuth.

I always wondered if Zach would either follow in his brothers steps and it would all just click at some point, or if he would never improve.

I will admit I was wrong, I didn't see him playing this well for another 2 years or so. His biggest issue in my opinion was he was too slight but now he sticks tackles and intercept marks. While I wasn't in the delist him camp I was in the "he is no where near ready" camp when we gave him games.

So I will totally admit I was wrong when it came to predicting him this year. I thought he would spend half the time in the VFL and the other half as the sub.

Playing really well with alot of flair and confidence

And i love defenders who take contested o/head marks - and he does - like SDK does

That goal he kicked in the 3rd qtr - set shot - beautiful powerful drop punt

I think Zac has gone way past Kolo - who would have been lucky to get 5 pos last night - and comically got in Dangers way in 1 passage of play

Bews could be the ideal sub - plenty of run can play multiple spots

Thus i think Tom comes in for Kolo - and if the Cats make the GF - then come GF day even if the Cats prevail - i think Kolo will be crying

To think of the road travelled from that day against Roughy and the Hawks and the vitriol then to now.

Credit Zuth with massive perseverance and will to succeed .....

He could be the next Bewsy.

People were calling for him too back in the day.

Some still are FFS.

GO Catters

Some still are FFS.
Mate some old ducks in the Social Club still shriek out the 'Bloody Hawkins, can't kick/hasn't played well in ages' garbage.

The legacy of negativity from 1964-2006 will be taken to the grave by some of our supporters, nothing's ever good enough for them.

I still think he's a chance to be dropped when Stewart returns, unfortunately .

I would personally pick him ahead of a few down back. but from the weekend's starting 22 you've got to fit in Bews and Stewart, so i think he might still get squeezed out

Opening this thread took me to the posts from May.

Let’s just say the “I was wrong” thread should be logjammed…
I had asked Chief to bring out the Bill, Bruce and Millie, the extra hamsters on the spare BF servers as I figured there wold be a large degree of extra traffic and posts in there.

GO Catters

To think of the road travelled from that day against Roughy and the Hawks and the vitriol then to now.

Credit Zuth with massive perseverance and will to succeed .....

He could be the next Bewsy.

People were calling for him too back in the day.

Some still are FFS.

GO Catters

I was there for that 2018 game - not his fault he ended up on Roughy. I think there were a few defensive break-downs in that last quarter as we were going for broke.

For what it's worth, it was clear he had a decent footy brain, the questions have always been around his body (and to a lesser extent, lack of possession).

Now that he's built up (a bit!), he's not so easily pushed off the ball or in contests. And while he doesn't get huge numbers, he's a good kick and a solid decision maker.

If I was picking a side, I'd probably have him before Kolo... though I think the MC would disagree.

I had pencilled him in for a possible delisting this year. Glad I didn't write it in pen.

Sign him for 2-3 years
Me too I'm not convinced on him yet despite some good patches this year I still feel come finals teams will try to isolate him to go through but to be fair the games he's played this season he has been best 22 available so credit to him he has worked hard I'm sure.

Me too I'm not convinced on him yet despite some good patches this year I still feel come finals teams will try to isolate him to go through but to be fair the games he's played this season he has been best 22 available so credit to him he has worked hard I'm sure.
I'm convinced enough. He's looking good. He's about the age now I think that Tom Stewart was when he debuted so there's potential for him to improve from here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back