Toast Zach Guthrie - Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Im Making a list. And im putting you on it.
ALL OF YOU….

I eagerly look forward to you posting in the “I was wrong” thread.

Seriously though. Zuthrie has poise. Great decision making. Great finisher as well. He’s not big and strong enough to be a key defender, but with an extended run to give him experience and confidence as a free running intercept defender. You talk of time Atkins replacing him. Zuthrie is twice the decision maker that Atkins is. And has infinitely better skills. He’s not nearly as hard and max rooke like, as Atkins is, they’re in fact very different players. Zuthrie is much more of a Stewart type than an Atkins type.
Do we have a “i couldn’t have been more wrong if i tried” thread? Cause this should be the first post in that.

Im Making a list. And im putting you on it.
ALL OF YOU….

I eagerly look forward to you posting in the “I was wrong” thread.

Seriously though. Zuthrie has poise. Great decision making. Great finisher as well. He’s not big and strong enough to be a key defender, but with an extended run to give him experience and confidence as a free running intercept defender. You talk of time Atkins replacing him. Zuthrie is twice the decision maker that Atkins is. And has infinitely better skills. He’s not nearly as hard and max rooke like, as Atkins is, they’re in fact very different players. Zuthrie is much more of a Stewart type than an Atkins type.
That should brighten up Stewarts recovery knowing he's now being compared to Zach Guthrie.

Do we have a “i couldn’t have been more wrong if i tried” thread? Cause this should be the first post in that.

He may be right because we know how much Scott loves his favourites and he won't abandon Zuthrie no matter how poorly he plays. At some point in time, he's finally going to develop into a steady player just as Murdoch, Blicavs, Atkins and others did.

I'll jump on the Zuthrie bandwagon. He's coming along nicely, reads the game well, makes good decisions and has a good skill set. Only thing he lacks is a bit of physicality and mongrel. This is not to call him soft just an observation.

Either way I think he will be a mainstay in our defense over the next 5-6 years play his role well. Whether he holds his place in finals this year depends on how we structure up. I feel like he's almost competing for spot again Esava and which one stays in the team will depend largely on how Scott chooses to deploy Blicavs in the absence of Stewart whether that be a permanent defender or as floating ruck.

Too early to call it imo

He's come along nicely, well more than I'd given him credit for.
Agree with this. It's a big call. But then who would have thought Cam was likely to be AA a few years back? It's not all about having an incredible skill-set, but sometimes about working hard and finding yourself playing a crucial role that suits your unique attributes and helps the team become excellent.

Perhaps its been insightful patient development or perhaps he has subtle attributes that the clubs sees and are not on the field ... no matter he is here and has a huge opportunity. The age of the list, the finals that geelong will play .... The great thing for him is his age and games tally probably say he is ready to give the oppitunity a real good shake.

daz. You know I like to have a laugh. And who knows if he will be AA. But let’s be real. Physically, he’s been a late maturer. He’s only now looking like he’s gone through puberty. He was genuinely excellent against north. He CONSTANTLY shows an ability to read the play, which is why when allowed he takes intercept marks. He makes very good decisions - rarely puts a teammate in trouble. And he kicks well. A lot of us undervalue the ability of a player to hit targets consistently by foot. But Zuthrie does it. If he is allowed to settle and given a defined role, he will get better. More confident. His teammates will trust him more and on and on it goes.

ao in conclusion. He’ll probably win a Carji
as I posted.. I agree with most everything excEpt the AA bit.
He’s had some good and some shocking Moments. The key for him is the shockers are becoming less frequent. And things like standing in the hole and taking intercept marks will help no end.
And in all about giving players time.. so this is a good example of that too.
Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did look a little lost. Did he put in a full pre-season??

Haven't seen Catsmaninamerica in these parts for a little while. Hope all is well.
Have you seen the make up of the VFL defence? He's giving up CM's and Kg's to play as a KPD in the absence of one in the team.

No wonder he's a little lost.

Not a frequent visitor anymore. Combination of life being busy and lots of craziness posted on these boards. Nice to see some old names still here however when I do swing by. Re Zach. I fear he’s finished. Shame really. He’s shown talent at times, but he’s just not big enough I don’t think.

This place still needs posters like you.

Different flavours all contribute to what makes this place the maelstrom of fun and opinion that it is.

I wasn't impressed with Zuthrie on the weekend, but as pointed out, perhaps he has a bit too much going on.

This place still needs posters like you.

Different flavours all contribute to what makes this place the maelstrom of fun and opinion that it is.

I wasn't impressed with Zuthrie on the weekend, but as pointed out, perhaps he has a bit too much going on.

I think hes no more than a depth player and probably gets delisted but him ling and feely are basically all sub 185cm yet playing essentially as key backs as we didnt bring in any through the draft/trade and are undersized. This structure is doing him no favours.

He is only 23 and has got better every year. He is a good backup player.
The problem with back up players is that if you're trying to build a fresh team they're the first to go because you need the spot to put a player with higher upside in.

I've loved his progression from nab league kid who got lost to 20 odd gamer who looked like the second coming of Tom Stewart for a game, but sadly I think this might be the end of the line

Not a frequent visitor anymore. Combination of life being busy and lots of craziness posted on these boards. Nice to see some old names still here however when I do swing by. Re Zach. I fear he’s finished. Shame really. He’s shown talent at times, but he’s just not big enough I don’t think.

He's the Catsinamerica

(wuh oh!)

He's a really weird one. At times I think nup not big enough, not physical enough etc. At other times (mostly he's shown it in pre-season and not the real thing - yet) I've thought there's genuine footy nous, composure and cool decision making. So I don't know. Still young enough.

Fair call.

That said, I still have a small question over his desire for the contest.

I agree that is the issue, just lacks that little bit of desperation you need in defence. He is a good player in some areas and brave in the air. It is just attacking the ground balls and the opponent that he just doesn’t seem to get. Someone like Atkins just has that naturally in him.

I would probably keep him around if possible. He will play again this year. He is only 1-2 injuries away.

Had his chance again played him in all practice matches, hoping he would take off after good form in finals and did not take it again...not hard to replace a player like Zuthrie

Looked poor in the early stages of the VFL game, kicked OOF and then gave up two free kicks inside 50 with sloppy tackles. He's been stuck in a holding pattern for years now - generally gets talked up as having a big preseason, starts the year in the seniors then gets dumped pretty quickly after looking shocking. If list spots are at a premium he's likely in the gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back