Toast Zach Guthrie - Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Zuth is already a good player... and will go on to be a great player.
He is a clean no fuss. reliable player that flies under the radar.
I have watched him closely and been impressed how early he reads the play and reacts quickly to get to the right spot.
Due to his lack of physical strength he is forced to be quick and sharp with clever positioning and timing.
Not flashy but a smart decision maker, with excellent skills, makes him a very effective ball user.
He may not have strength YET but it will come in time, Hopefully just another preseason away.
His delayed maturity means, he is very likely to have a long career.... playing well into his thirties.

He was always going to be on our list next year regardless of his awesome breakout game on the weekend. Good depth player with reasonable skills, improved physical characteristics and most importantly very versatile. Wouldn’t surprise me if he sticks around longer than what many think and becomes best 22 (albeit best 18-22) within the next 1-2 years. Geelong has shown it will persist with players longer than most clubs would - e.g. Simpson, Zuthrie - and I think that approach has been largely positive

I have watched him closely and been impressed how early he reads the play and reacts quickly to get to the right spot.
Due to his lack of physical strength he is forced to be quick and sharp with clever positioning and timing.
Not flashy but a smart decision maker, with excellent skills, makes him a very effective ball user.
He may not have strength YET but it will come in time, Hopefully just another preseason away.
His delayed maturity means, he is very likely to have a long career.... playing well into his thirties.
His brother frequently copped it here. I think the Guthries are like good bottles of red wine. They have the basic fundamentals and improve very nicely with age.

Id be happy if he becomes a best22 player. Great? Thats a lot to ask

His brother frequently copped it here. I think the Guthries are like good bottles of red wine. They have the basic fundamentals and improve very nicely with age.
patience you are right with the brothers both being criticised on Geelong BigFooty in the past but at different stages & reasons in their careers & I'll explain why. In the early stages of Cam's career he played in the back pocket & was progressing so well that he looked for certain to be a elite AFL player, certainly from my prospective I firmly believed that to be the case. Then in time, he was moved onto the wing, then into the midfield & once again he showed excellent signs but for no explanatory reason that I'm aware he stagnated, so much so, that he never looked like he would become the player that he seemed destined to be. He did at one stage show good signs when he became a tagger in the midfield but it wasn't until Tim Kelly left Geelong & Cam took on a more senior role with more responsibility in the midfield that he really started to shine, so much so, that he eventually won All Australian & became the player that many of us Geelong supporters thought he would be. But it was during his time when he hit a flat spot in his career that he was criticised by Geelong BigFooty members.

In regards to Cam's brother Zac it was a completely different set of circumstances, whereby right from the start when Zac was introduced into the senior side he struggled, 'unlike his brother Cam who looked like he was going to be a gun', this is where Zac was criticised by Geelong BigFooty followers including myself, especially with the contested side & lack of physical presence & strength in his game, which not surprisingly zapped his confidence & until he improved in these areas he was never going to be a AFL player & certainly not as nearly as good as player as his brother Cam. In time Zac has made steady progress but it wasn't until last Saturdays game against the Kangas that he displayed the makings of being a AFL player. From this point in time, I personally want to see how Zac now goes in contested one on one contests against good opposition players 'on a regular basis' which is the hallmark of being a excellent AFL footballer because it does appear he is ticking all the boxes in all other aspects of his game, cheers Richard.

Last edited:
patience you are right with the brothers both being criticised on Geelong BigFooty in the past but at different stages & reasons in their careers & I'll explain why. In the early stages of Cam's career he played in the back pocket & was progressing so well that he looked for certain to be a elite AFL player, certainly from my prospective I firmly believed that to be the case. Then in time, he was moved onto the wing, then into the midfield & once again he showed excellent signs but for no explanatory reason that I'm aware he stagnated, so much so, that he never looked like he would become the player that he seemed destined to be. He did at one stage show good signs when he became a tagger in the midfield but it wasn't until Tim Kelly left Geelong & Cam took on a more senior role with more responsibility in the midfield that he really started to shine, so much so, that he eventually won All Australian & became the player that many of us Geelong supporters thought he would be. But it was during his time when he hit a flat spot in his career that he was criticised by Geelong BigFooty members.

In regards to Cam's brother Zac it was a completely different set of circumstances, whereby right from the start when Zac was introduced into the senior side he struggled, 'unlike his brother Cam who looked like he was going to be a gun', this is where Zac was criticised by Geelong BigFooty followers including myself, especially with the contested side & lack of physical presence & strength in his game, which not surprisingly zapped his confidence & until he improved in these areas he was never going to be a AFL player & certainly not as nearly as good as player as his brother Cam. In time Zac has made steady progress but it wasn't until last Saturdays game against the Kangas that he displayed the makings of being a AFL player. From this point in time, I personally want to see how Zac now goes in contested one on one contests against good opposition players 'on a regular basis' which is the hallmark of being a excellent AFL footballer because it does appear he is ticking all the boxes in all other aspects of his game, cheers Richard.
Fair assessment of Cam. By about 2018 I conceded that he was just going to be our David Mackay. Glad that didn’t happen.

Fair assessment of Cam. By about 2018 I conceded that he was just going to be our David Mackay. Glad that didn’t happen.
I'm not one to easily concede Hooker, especially when I honestly thought from the get go Cam was going to be a top six Geelong player but I'm with you come 2018 my expectations of Cam & my ego had virtually been shot, so yeah 'glad that didn't happen' is a understatement because Cam now has become a key player in the Cats winning a possible future premiership or two, here's hoping..... GO CATS !!!

Yep ... I recall the anti Zuth's well.
There is a group of supporters that love the spectacular player that wins 18 contested possession although 12 are not to advantage.
That's why I started to scrutinize his on field actions closely.
I discovered Zuth was alert and quick to react. And. have defended him since.
What the theatre-watchers saw as, weak Zuth can't break away, caught and a ball up.
Was: Zuth sensing the danger of being out numbered, a loose ball fed out, a certain goal
While his team mates were crouched gunslinger pose, wall watching.
He would come from a step behind them, grab the ball cleanly, ride the tackle... the ball up allowing support to arrive.
At marking contest he avoids wrestling, stands back with a late timed jump and spoil...
Alternatively he blocks the forward, allowing his team mates to mark.
Just like, Close... he always make a good decision.

Didn't catch his game vs North but his stats were mightily impressive - was he playing loose across HB? Cheers everyone!

It was a nice game from Zuth last week.
I still think of him as a backup type player going into finals.
But..... I guess if he can produce a similar type of game as last week he will probably force his hand and deserve a spot.
It was a really decent sign for the future though.
It's in his hands tonight for this year though.

Huge chance to get a bump on this thread for him now... all a player can ask for is a chance to show his worth.
How did he go today anyway? Only had the time to watch in a couple 5 minute intervals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did he go today anyway? Only had the time to watch in a couple 5 minute intervals

Not bad, not great. Seemed to basically take over Stewarts role instead of his usual more defensive slot. Didn't have the marking dominance Stewart displays most of the time, but he grabbed everything he should have taken and halved all of the marking contests where he was at a positional disadvantage. He was much more aggressive with his kicking than usual, there wasn't much safe down the line stuff it was mostly long 45dg passes into the corridor which was a bit scary- He was landing it right in the center instead of clearing the Saints zone and we were lucky that the kicks were enough to the advantage of cats players that they could maintain possession while outnumbered. Had one major stuff up when he lost his feet deep in defence minding Membrey that should have cost a goal but Membrey brain faded and let him off the hook.

Had one major stuff up when he lost his feet deep in defence minding Membrey that should have cost a goal but Membrey brain faded and let him off the hook.

To be fair, Zuthrie should never be on a Membrey type when we have Blitz, Hendo and Henry in the back half anyway.

I thought he did his job well yesterday, nothing too eye catching about his play but made good decisions and used the ball well.

Definitely worth keeping on the list beyond 2022 and will likely retain his spot for at least the QF I’d suggest.

I have to say I think Zack has shown some real improvement this year. He's maturing in his body and his footy skills. He's maybe still just a good ordinary player at best, but sides need guys like that too. I hope he keeps progressing.

Last edited:
I am not seeing what others see in him.
I see a player getting games pumped into him and is inevitably having bright patches along the way but he looks a player with limited upside. Similar to Atkins, Parsons, Fogarty and those types.

His older bro had a streak of brilliance from a very early stage. Was noticeable just by watching him play in the reserves.

He is an extremely disciplined defender. He is always right up on his man and is happy to mark if he has the drop of the ball.

He is a nice kick.

I prefer him defending higher up on the wings than on the last line.

I think he will be a good player for us and wouldn’t rule him out of finals calculations.

I have definitely ranted he should never play again early in his career but I am coming around to him.

Last edited:
I know that last year he was a late re-signing after the trade period and on a 1-year deal; I wouldn't be surprised if a new deal is announced, this time prior to the trade period and possible for 2 years

He will never be AA. He has a low ceiling, and to suggest otherwise is borderline insane. He’ll probably be dropped as soon as atkins is fit.

AA 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Im Making a list. And im putting you on it.
ALL OF YOU….

I eagerly look forward to you posting in the “I was wrong” thread.

Seriously though. Zuthrie has poise. Great decision making. Great finisher as well. He’s not big and strong enough to be a key defender, but with an extended run to give him experience and confidence as a free running intercept defender. You talk of time Atkins replacing him. Zuthrie is twice the decision maker that Atkins is. And has infinitely better skills. He’s not nearly as hard and max rooke like, as Atkins is, they’re in fact very different players. Zuthrie is much more of a Stewart type than an Atkins type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back