Toast Zach Guthrie - Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Also remember that Kelly had his scapula broken in the 2006 NAB grand final against Adelaide, that really seemed to derail his whole season as well.

Back on topic, I recall being quietly pessimistic about Zuthrie based on his earliest appearances but he has really added hardness to his game and now I would never consider dropping him based on his 2022 form. Half of our list looks like Swiss milkmaids currently and that’s how we like it.

He always had hardness, just lacked confidence and extended opportunity, which he finally got last year.

He always had hardness, just lacked confidence and extended opportunity, which he finally got last year.

Not sure Zach ever lacked confidence

More so lacked the body size to be capable of doing what he was wanting to do

Zach has been a textbook example of hard work, dedication, faith by both himself and the club...and he's become an integral part of the side. A testament to the Geelong way, indeed with Tom out Zach almost becomes his doppelganger, in looks and deeds.

The point he kicked in the 2017 QF and then finding himself on Rough-Face the following year now seems aeons ago. Now he's one player you love to see with the ball in his hands. Kudos!

Not sure Zach ever lacked confidence

More so lacked the body size to be capable of doing what he was wanting to do
Not pumping up our tyres but I remember cats_09 and myself backing Zach from his early days. I was going to every home game back then. Despite being built like a string bean in the beginning, he never lacked confidence or shirked a contest. His self belief was of a quietly determined variety. Seeing him take on the Tom Stewart rolls last night made me a very proud supporter.

TBH I'm not totally surprised....yet. :winkv1: I bought tickets on him before he even played when someone said there was another Guthrie and that he was an even better prospect than big brother was. Even that infamous debut, I felt I saw a kid with some nous. Never once thought less of him for the Roughhead thingy. I honestly think he could take over most team's back six the way TS has.
What will be a surprise if he continues on his trajectory and earns the laurels TS has.
I expected a very good player, not a legend. He may still get there. :thumbsu:

Brilliant thread, and so glad he has been given the opportunity to bear his fruit. A very polished performer, and nearly my favourite. Something about brothers.
As said elsewhere, would make an awesome next captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I, too, had Zuth gone.

It was amazing how it seemed to change after one game against Norf (I think) about 2021 (?) where Zach took a heap of third man up marks. Then soon after started breaking lines.
Seemed like the club knew he had the talent, he just needed the confidence to back himself. Great story of belief by the club and persistence by the player.

I’ve always liked Zuthrie.

He played senior footy waaaay too soon. His body wasn’t ready but we had injuries and he was next in line. No way he would play someone of his weight and experience in those games now.

I remember watching him in 2017 in the final against Adelaide. We were smashed in the first quarter and the game was over quickly. I was sitting close to the fence in the back pocket and there he was, against guys 20 to 30 kg heavier than him, fronting up. It was his handballing that really caught my eye. Clean and accurate in traffic, and even back then, probably only 60kg, didn’t flinch under extreme pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ve always liked Zuthrie.

He played senior footy waaaay too soon. His body wasn’t ready but we had injuries and he was next in line. No way he would play someone of his weight and experience in those games now.

I remember watching him in 2017 in the final against Adelaide. We were smashed in the first quarter and the game was over quickly. I was sitting close to the fence in the back pocket and there he was, against guys 20 to 30 kg heavier than him, fronting up. It was his handballing that really caught my eye. Clean and accurate in traffic, and even back then, probably only 60kg, didn’t flinch under extreme pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
True that.
I thought he was very good against the Tigers 2 weeks before that game as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back