Toast Zach Guthrie - Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually one of the pies fans I was interacting with after the game - all good natured and very sporting - joked that he was getting f***ing sick of seeing every second forward entry ending up in the hands of a blonde haired defender
Not narrowing it down!

If there was any integrity around here, there would be so many more posts in the 'I was Wrong' thread about our Zuth. Has absolutely given it to all the puerile nonsense spouted here about him being a million miles off being old enough or good enough to play in the AFL.

And the rounded contribution to the team's output just keeps growing and growing with every game. That was a crucial shot on goal last night, with the Blues having crept closer after half-time with a goal against the run of play. He went back and absolutely nailed the shot. And then jogged back to position as if he was just finishing an elementary drill at training from earlier in the week.

The club is now reaping the rewards of patience with a player that showed flashes right from the start and simply needed lots of time to build confidence in himself, his game, and his body. Another 'best 22' player at the Cattery who's come all the way from the rookie list to properly belonging in the senior team of what is still a very strong club.

IWWT.
More important for me that holding my breath for “I was wrong” (I think I die and no one on the post cares!!). But what I would like from this is to back the club for 4-5 years on the players. So if Dempsey doesnt come on in 2023 but club gives him 2 year contract we go oh maybe he might develop like Zuthrie? Same with Mitch or Cooper. Being patient until these kids are 21-22 at least I think is critical. I love my USA sports and (other than superstars - say top 10 picks) everyone else starts professional career at 21 or 22.

As paid up members and supporters we absolutely have the right to have strong opinions on what we see 1 day a week….but also should from time to time step back and trust that our list managers are pretty good. Of course the better win the flag this week if they want me to stop being critical!! 😯

Going by memory only, Kelly was tearing it up in 2004 before he broke his leg. Came back in 2005 and just didn't seem to have the same impact for a few years.

I remember watching him up here at the Gabba thinking "how the hell does this guy get a game" but was someone who just flipped the script (along with the rest of the team) come 2007.
Also remember that Kelly had his scapula broken in the 2006 NAB grand final against Adelaide, that really seemed to derail his whole season as well.

Back on topic, I recall being quietly pessimistic about Zuthrie based on his earliest appearances but he has really added hardness to his game and now I would never consider dropping him based on his 2022 form. Half of our list looks like Swiss milkmaids currently and that’s how we like it.

Have loved his player development this off season, one of the reasons he’s become one of my favs.

Go well in 2023 Junior Guth.

Something I’ve never been able to get my head around on this forum is how he and his brother would get criticised for Cameron kicking to him to ‘get his stats up.’ With a couple of very, very rare exceptions I don’t think there are any players who NEED to get their stats up or even want to.

They want to feel the ball in their hands, feel part of the team unit, feel part of the game plan, feel like they are part of preventing or contributing towards scores. More than anything they want to feel that their teammates trust them.

Why on earth would anyone moan about a senior established player bringing a younger one into the game? We laud Hawkins, rightly, for giving off Joe the Goose goals to young teammates. I’ve never understood why the Guthries would be evaluated any differently

Something I’ve never been able to get my head around on this forum is how he and his brother would get criticised for Cameron kicking to him to ‘get his stats up.’ With a couple of very, very rare exceptions I don’t think there are any players who NEED to get their stats up or even want to.

They want to feel the ball in their hands, feel part of the team unit, feel part of the game plan, feel like they are part of preventing or contributing towards scores. More than anything they want to feel that their teammates trust them.

Why on earth would anyone moan about a senior established player bringing a younger one into the game? We laud Hawkins, rightly, for giving off Joe the Goose goals to young teammates. I’ve never understood why the Guthries would be evaluated any differently

lol- Cam would literally walk through fire to get the ball in little bro's hand early on. I note he's stopped doing that since Zac elevated. He doesn't need the freebies anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was guilty of this very thing, Not as a criticism though, merely an observance. You're dead right though. It brought Zuthrie into the game and made him feel like he belonged at a time when he was skin and bone and a slight breeza might blow him down let alone a hard bump.

8cd85a9701ee25e00c0df165135a02aa

My boy :hearteyes:

Wrestlemania Vii Crying GIF by WWE

Thought this deserves a bump
Zuth has been absolutely superb this season, was one of our best in the first few weeks and hasn't dropped off at all.

Clearly confident, and much stronger in the contest.. underrated and never mentioned is how well he reads the ball and how good his positioning has become. Watching yesterday it felt like he was the forward at times as he was getting the positioning so much better than his opponent and then just not allowing them near the footy.

Has turned himself into a serious player, and it is just brilliant to see

So, either the club's social media team has been reading our various threads, or Willo_ is part of the club's social media team (or at least helps influence their content) 😉

Considering we are likely (can I get a factcheck, anyone?) the ONLY club board on Bigfooty with their own liason to a radio station that does live game broadcasts and awesome podcasts (onya K rock Football!!!) I can't see why the club's media team wouldn't be all over our board in other areas.

I reckon it's fricken sweet and we're dead lucky to have that access. So onya Willo_ !

So, either the club's social media team has been reading our various threads, or Willo_ is part of the club's social media team (or at least helps influence their content) 😉

They could learn a thing or 2 from me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back