Toast Zach Guthrie - Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not one to beat any drum about the players I don't think are good enough, but never felt Zuthrie was up to it. (So I won't be posting in the I was wrong thread)

He is definitely proving me wrong though. I hope the MC can find a way to keep him in the side come September, he is bringing so much to that backline right now.

We may have a well structured defensive system but it doesn't mean we have all great defensive players. TS, SDK, Henry, Tuohy are all top quality. Bews started the year well but injury caused a hiccup. MOC has never regained last years form and one can only assume he just hasn't got over his injury problems. Kolo is just a plain NO. Can occasionally take a mark, but is so sloppy and clumsy below his knees and let's far too many balls get behind him. Zuthrie has been the beneficiary of a guilty sympathy vote, probably generated by being such an ordinary player for so long. Has he put on size - yes....but does that make him strong and bullish. He lets too many players get huge leads on him and once the ball hits the ground, he doesn't have the power or will to throw himself into the fray and is too easily shifted off the ball. An occasional well judged mark and occasional accurate distribution don't add up to a great player. He and Kolo are individual liabilities and the fear is that in those big pressure finals other teams will search them out and make us pay. With so many hard nosed quality midfield players, I'd rather see players like Atkins, Duncan and even Blicavs occasional rotate through the backline during games than depend on Kolo or Zuthrie.

Mate some old ducks in the Social Club still shriek out the 'Bloody Hawkins, can't kick/hasn't played well in ages' garbage.

The legacy of negativity from 1964-2006 will be taken to the grave by some of our supporters, nothing's ever good enough for them.
I have often wondered if this is the case with older Geelong fans and you can tell who they are by what and how they type online. I can be quite negative myself and I’m anti Scott but I’m also quick to admit when I’ve been wrong. Something feels different this year and yeah that might be setting myself up for disappointment but I’d rather wait till that happens instead of posting the same repetitive s**t all season long when we are chilling in first. How the hell do some of these people complain about being first and we haven’t even been kicked out of a final yet?

Watching footy since 04 I’ve watched this amazing club miss finals twice and in both years had over 10 wins. I’ve never seen a single truly s**t year in 18 years of watching. Probably why I’m not as negative as the ones who suffered the 43 year drought

I have often wondered if this is the case with older Geelong fans and you can tell who they are by what and how they type online. I can be quite negative myself and I’m anti Scott but I’m also quick to admit when I’ve been wrong. Something feels different this year and yeah that might be setting myself up for disappointment but I’d rather wait till that happens instead of posting the same repetitive s**t all season long when we are chilling in first. How the hell do some of these people complain about being first and we haven’t even been kicked out of a final yet?

Watching footy since 04 I’ve watched this amazing club miss finals twice and in both years had over 10 wins. I’ve never seen a single truly s**t year in 18 years of watching. Probably why I’m not as negative as the ones who suffered the 43 year drought
They aren't the negative ones, it's the later ones who experienced 07-09-11 and developed an idiotic sense of entitlement.

Something i've noticed about Zuth- if he gets to a marking contest late he always makes the opposing played earn it. Stays just on the right side of giving away 50, slows down their gather and play after the mark. Keep an eye on it next game, its quite a skill he's developed. Great to see him sink the goal on the weekend as well, was a real steadier (though very lucky to get the cheap 50)
Scarlett always liked Zuth. I would say he learned a huge amount from one of the all time competitors.

They aren't the negative ones, it's the later ones who experienced 07-09-11 and developed an idiotic sense of entitlement.
Then you aren’t talking about me anymore because I’m happy with making finals every year until we eventually one year win the flag. Since covid started Scott’s been a better coach and I grew up. Take losing finals any day over what Essendon’s done.

I would now rather complain when it’s all over and not as it’s starting. Don’t need to suck the life out of everything when some people just want to enjoy the footy. Obviously not talking about you here.

Last edited:

NGL, I think im scarred by watching us lose four grand finals in seven years between 89 and 95. I was a young kid when I watched the 89 game at a friends house down the road and I remember walking home crying wearing my scarf. Never been able to trust us in a Grand final since, even against Port Adelaide I was worried till 3 quarter time!

The Blight era has made me forever grateful for the Premierships plus a sad and wiser man during the quiet stretches and the almost-theres. No entitlement however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GuthrieBrothers.jpg

Just behind Atkins and Close as most improved this year IMO
I think Brad had already had a massive trajectory last year and we knew what he is capable of, I actually have Zach ahead of Atkins too who is just getting more time in the midfield, he had already shown how tough and persistent he was.
Re Zuthrie, I can't think of a Geelong player who has gone from lowly regarded to incredibly impressive and keeping his spot in a senior team that's just humming along winning games.
Maybe much maligned Mensch??!

I can't think of a Geelong player who has gone from lowly regarded to incredibly impressive and keeping his spot in a senior team that's just humming along winning games.
Maybe much maligned Mensch??!
I remember James Kelly used to absolutely cop it back in the day before the team clicked and started winning Premierships. He was an absolute whipping boy who turned into a club favourite somewhere along the 50-100 games mark.

I remember James Kelly used to absolutely cop it back in the day before the team clicked and started winning Premierships. He was an absolute whipping boy who turned into a club favourite somewhere along the 50-100 games mark.

Going by memory only, Kelly was tearing it up in 2004 before he broke his leg. Came back in 2005 and just didn't seem to have the same impact for a few years.

I remember watching him up here at the Gabba thinking "how the hell does this guy get a game" but was someone who just flipped the script (along with the rest of the team) come 2007.

Well I won't be in the "I was wrong" thread on this one :grinv1:

One of the first thing I remember hearing about the kid was that there was a Guthrie coming up that may be better that Cam. Cam was given #29, so.....
In his debut, you could see an underlying poise and intelligence. And I never gave him any blame for that Roughie thing.
You have to think he still has some room up there before he hits his ceiling. :thumbsu:

I reckon there is still room for improvement in Zuthrie. More consistency. But he is one of the many reasons we are so much better this year, and I’m rapt Chris Scott and the selection committee didn’t heed what was said about Zach on BF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back