Autopsy You get what you ******* deserve Swans by 29 Hayward silences his critics.

Remove this Banner Ad

d7e24398aa14edb7fc0ae3af3cdd04ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one other observation that I've heard none of these "tough" ex-players in the media say as they bemoan how hard it is to be a footballer nowadays - there are actually relatively few of these concussion-causing collisions and tackles. Consider how many tackles are laid over the course of a round, and how many marking contests there are over the course of a round, and yet we rarely get more than one or two a round that cause concussion.

That's too many, but it also says to me that most players in most circumstances are able to exercise their duty of care and prevent injuring opponents. So is it really that hard?

What an excellent series of posts. Now all we need to do is get the AFL to commit to positive action!

yes, agreed ... that's notable for several reasons, not least being that was something mentioning morrison in a positive light that was worth reading
and i take the point, particularly citing maynard, of the type of footballer that embraces that mindset ... i guess i just don't see brown in the same category, but there's no denying his action was avoidable

yes, agreed ... that's notable for several reasons, not least being that was something mentioning morrison in a positive light that was worth reading
and i take the point, particularly citing maynard, of the type of footballer that embraces that mindset ... i guess i just don't see brown in the same category, but there's no denying his action was avoidable
It wasn't easy when Scomo was playing 11 of the 22 positions as well.

My point (partly at least) is that these are learned responses, often from an early age, and need to be replaced by more appropriate ones.
For example, if Brown had lowered his body height to match McCartin's instead of lifting, and tucked his arm instead of cocking it, and decelerated we might be applauding a great bump, perfectly legal.
Nothing to mention all the guys who have left their feet. 🤯

My point (partly at least) is that these are learned responses, often from an early age, and need to be replaced by more appropriate ones.
For example, if Brown had lowered his body height to match McCartin's instead of lifting, and tucked his arm instead of cocking it, and decelerated we might be applauding a great bump, perfectly legal.
Nothing to mention all the guys who have left their feet. 🤯

yes, absolutely agree with you on that ...

Do you really think he thought "Oh, this is Tom McCartin. I could take him out here and finish his career"? Sure, he made a mistake but there have been far worse incidents than this one over the past 8 weeks.
I know I'm against everyone else here but I'm not convinced he deliberately hit him. As with players coming into marking contests and getting there late, they instinctively brace when they realise there is going to be contact. These things are done in a millisecond and if you really believe he intended to hit Tom in the head I believe you are looking at that merely through your red and white glasses.

You dont believe a coach instructs their players on which opposition players to "target" or make sure they earn every possession?

Look at Roughead tackle on Hanners i legit thought he killed him.

You dont believe a coach instructs their players on which opposition players to "target" or make sure they earn every possession?

I certainly do. "Earn every possession", "feel every tackle" of course they do. All of them.
The question is whether by fair means or foul. Every time one of our guys crunches a fair tackle I'm delighted. That's pressure. When Hind tried to take off Warner's head I wondered what Scott's messaging was. No idea of course, but given some of the other stuff I doubt it was "don't cross the line". When Wicks took out someone last year I'll bet Horse tore him a new one. There's a difference.

I reckon Clarkson has a nasty streak in him that Longmire doesn't have. In someways that might be a cause of Longmire's less than sparkling record in grand finals.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks came out with a few Swans in mind to target - Buddy, because he was Buddy (and he was banged into multiple times in ways that were borderline within the rules of the game), plus Hanners and Jetta because they provided so much of our outside run.

I reckon Clarkson has a nasty streak in him that Longmire doesn't have. In someways that might be a cause of Longmire's less than sparkling record in grand finals.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks came out with a few Swans in mind to target - Buddy, because he was Buddy (and he was banged into multiple times in ways that were borderline within the rules of the game), plus Hanners and Jetta because they provided so much of our outside run.
From memory the hit of Jetta was the dirtiest one? Prob would have been HIA today?

Personally I would triple the weeks off, bring in a red card (you carelessly or purposely knock a guy out you leave the field as well) and get rid of the hundreds of technical head high frees that are a blight on the game.

If Brown knew he risked a red card and months on the sideline, he wouldn’t have bumped Tom’s head. It’s as simple as that.

Personally I would triple the weeks off, bring in a red card (you carelessly or purposely knock a guy out you leave the field as well) and get rid of the hundreds of technical head high frees that are a blight on the game.

If Brown knew he risked a red card and months on the sideline, he wouldn’t have bumped elbowed Tom’s head. It’s as simple as that.
Fixed.

Mate, I have to call you out on this. I noticed that you have said several times that he hit him with his elbow and I was a bit puzzled because I just didn't see that at all. So now you have said it again I was forced to go to the video again to check and, unless his elbow starts at his chin and extends to his bicep, it was nowhere near McCartin's head. The contact was between Tom's cheek and Brown's shoulder, which is all I can see and all the AFL can see as well - in fact even the Swans didn't make a point out of it (no pun intended).
If it was his elbow then Brown would be out for 10 weeks.

Mate, I have to call you out on this. I noticed that you have said several times that he hit him with his elbow and I was a bit puzzled because I just didn't see that at all. So now you have said it again I was forced to go to the video again to check and, unless his elbow starts at his chin and extends to his bicep, it was nowhere near McCartin's head. The contact was between Tom's cheek and Brown's shoulder, which is all I can see and all the AFL can see as well - in fact even the Swans didn't make a point out of it (no pun intended).
If it was his elbow then Brown would be out for 10 weeks.

Am convinced one of the angles shows a raised elbow, but the others are inconclusive. Admittedly I only have one functional eye nowadays.

I’d add Horse did not seem in a forgiving mood and was genuinely cranky. As a rule he has been non committal.

I expect the Club is peeved by head high shots on our players. on our players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am convinced one of the angles shows a raised elbow, but the others are inconclusive. Admittedly I only have one functional eye nowadays.

I’d add Horse did not seem in a forgiving mood and was genuinely cranky. As a rule he has been non committal.

I expect the Club is peeved by head high shots on our players. on our players.
Yeah, I did see one photo that was a frame or two after the actual collision which showed Browns elbow was up, but the footage showed it was tucked in when they hit.
Regardless, I concur with the rest of your post.
And you are legitimately one-eyed so I expect nothing less. ;)

Yeah, I did see one photo that was a frame or two after the actual collision which showed Browns elbow was up, but the footage showed it was tucked in when they hit.
Regardless, I concur with the rest of your post.
And you are legitimately one-eyed so I expect nothing less. ;)
The series of club photos are really clear.
1) Brown has taken a deep breath to harden and "bigger" himself up. Cheeks puffed. Chest puffed.
2) His shoulder point makes contact with Tom's cheekbone. Arm tucked and firm. Everything hard for contact.
3) Brown is running very tall ensuring that the shoulder hits the head. Guarantees it 100%.
4) Don't BS me that he didn't mean it. Immediately afterwards he realised the consequences, certainly to himself and possibly to Tom, you can see his reaction. Oh sh*t.
All he needed to do was bend the knees and hit shoulder to shoulder. Very simple.
Look at those photos on the website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back