Certified Legendary Thread Would you trade Urquhart for Pendlebury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gav easy.

I kept a close eye on Pendlebury last year because of supercoach and I don’t rate his game at all.

He is super skilful and at times his clearance work is top class, but he goes missing for large periods of the game and his stats get boosted often only by a big last quarter.

He gets way too many soft possessions from slow backward or sideways ball movement. Plus he does absolutely no grunt work in the contested situations. If we still played on muddy ovals, he would be one of those players who would stand out wearing the clean jumper.

Gav has a huge up side and has every chance of becoming a better player than Pendlebury.

Well said. Pendlebury is a soft c*ck with skills & run but Gav is a hard nut with skills & run......................Gav's the one!

Gav has great upside and once you are a North bloke, I want you for life! So, no, I wouldn't trade. I like to see our players develop.
But...if I could have either now for a match played tomorrow, I would have to take Pendlebury, purely on what they have both accomplished.
Pendlebury is class and reads the game incredibly well. Rate him much higher than showpony Thomas.
Gav could be a superstar, but at the moment Pendlebury is well ahead.
I look forward to the gap closing...rapidly!

People are bagging Wells for the exact same thing. Wellsy is in the age bracket that i have suggested good quality mids start to shine. Yet still hasn't achieved what everyone thought he would have. started well, improved each year for the first few seasons, since has stagnatted & had to cope with injurys.

Wells might not be brownlow winner but to say he has stagnated is just so far off the mark it's not funny. While it's fine for you to have an opinion, there is no evidence to suggest that Wells has stagnated.

helmie can u list the positions pendlebury can play

as far as i can see he can play soft outside midfielder and nothing else
thats not to say hes not very good at that role

Yeah it's great to support your own player and all, but we are talking about a potential top 10 player in Pendlebury here who can basically play anywhere. Whereas Urqhaurt is and up and coming half back flanker. In a heart beat for mine.

Urquhart has all the potential to be one of the best in the league at what he does. Pendlebury is very good but I'm not sure I'm convinced that there is the massive difference you see.

No.

We need what Gav could bring more than we need what Pendlebury already brings. It would be a punt to refuse a trade because there is not certainty Gav will get there completely, but I would back him in. I rate Pendlebury highly FWIW.

The scariest thing is that Gav could still decide to go back to Gold Coast. If we assume that each club will have to give up one player to the new franchise, Gav would be in the highest risk group IMO. Our other Qld players (Hale and Pratt) are much more settled in Melbourne and are more likely to stay put. Warren would be lucky to be playing anywhere, while Gav is still young and may have the urge to come home.

helmie can u list the positions pendlebury can play

as far as i can see he can play soft outside midfielder and nothing else
thats not to say hes not very good at that role

_aria_ my very ignorant young man i will give you a run down on Pendles.

Last year he averaged 3 clearances (pretty decent for a outside midfielder).
Also averaged 7 contested possessions.
Along with 23 possie average overall, with an average of 1.6 clangers which tells us he uses the ball well with an 80% possession efficiency.
Averages 3.3 tackles a game, again for an outside midfielder very good.
Also played more importance in the midfield this year, though from previous years has shown he can go forward and kick important goals.
He has a big tank and has already proven himself as a top line midfielder in a top 8 team.

As much as a fan as i, and i know everyone else is, of our boy when a silky smooth midfielder like Pendlebury is being offered up for trade for a half back flanker whose spot wasn't even guaranteed last year - you have to take it every time. Especially when the kid isn't 21 until January, and is only 7 months older then our boy.

The scariest thing is that Gav could still decide to go back to Gold Coast. If we assume that each club will have to give up one player to the new franchise, Gav would be in the highest risk group IMO. Our other Qld players (Hale and Pratt) are much more settled in Melbourne and are more likely to stay put. Warren would be lucky to be playing anywhere, while Gav is still young and may have the urge to come home.

Don't wanna put a jinx on, but Gav strikes me as a bloke who'll take team success and camaraderie over homesickness.

I'd be pretty confident he would stay should the chance to go home occur.

_aria_ my very ignorant young man i will give you a run down on Pendles.

Last year he averaged 3 clearances (pretty decent for a outside midfielder).
Also averaged 7 contested possessions.
Along with 23 possie average overall, with an average of 1.6 clangers which tells us he uses the ball well with an 80% possession efficiency.
Averages 3.3 tackles a game, again for an outside midfielder very good.
Also played more importance in the midfield this year, though from previous years has shown he can go forward and kick important goals.
He has a big tank and has already proven himself as a top line midfielder in a top 8 team.

As much as a fan as i, and i know everyone else is, of our boy when a silky smooth midfielder like Pendlebury is being offered up for trade for a half back flanker whose spot wasn't even guaranteed last year - you have to take it every time. Especially when the kid isn't 21 until January, and is only 7 months older then our boy.

hmm very interesting post there helmie and thanks for the run down on pendles (theres no way i could of looked up those stats by myself) but im not sure wat any of thats got to do with my post :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmm very interesting post there helmie and thanks for the run down on pendles (theres no way i could of looked up those stats by myself) but im not sure wat any of thats got to do with my post :confused:

Very amusing, how about you do that first, or better yet watch him play, before you call him a "soft outside" player (in reference to your last post muppet) - that's what i was trying to prove mate.

For your other point, look at his build and where he played in his first couple of seasons to figure out where bouts he can play.

will do

but thx anyway for ur pointless stats and ur novel on how good pendlebury is
that was really the answer i was looking for when i asked u the simple question of what positions he plays apart from outside midfielder :thumbsu:

will do

but thx anyway for ur pointless stats and ur novel on how good pendlebury is
that was really the answer i was looking for when i asked u the simple question of what positions he plays apart from outside midfielder :thumbsu:

Again, this he is not. He is/was in a team that included Burns, O'bree and Buckley in his first 3 years of football so the inside midfield role was well and truly taken care of. With two out of the three gone for the upcoming season he will be playing more of the clearance player role.

oh ok so he will be playing a different role in the future
i guess youre right that does mean he can any position on the ground

hmm maybe gav will as well

i dont know why u are telling me to get my head out of the sand i said on page 1 that i would trade gav for pendlebury

Gee really?

Gav - averages less than 2 tackles a game
Pendles - 3

Interesting?

What a 'soft ****'

very good point helmie tackle count stats are a very good indicator of how good somebodys defensive game is :thumbsu:

Wells might not be brownlow winner but to say he has stagnated is just so far off the mark it's not funny. While it's fine for you to have an opinion, there is no evidence to suggest that Wells has stagnated.

Now that's your opinion. I've watched every game he has played. I didnt make that statement lightly.

Other then the second half of the 2008 season, Wells for 2 & a half years has pretty much been the same sort of player. The positive with him was the last 10 or so games. He started to show the player he can be.

Gee really?

Gav - averages less than 2 tackles a game
Pendles - 3

Interesting?

What a 'soft ****'

Haha I wonder if u would go into so much detail if the player in question didn't play for collingwood?

Pendlebury for mine, not by much though.

He would add a powerful dynamic to our midfield and I still harbour concerns about gav's gold coast factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back