why the SERIA A is the better than the EPL

Remove this Banner Ad

wb 4ever

Draftee
Jul 18, 2001
footsc...no i can't (wpp)
Other Teams
western bulldogs
I have heard a lot people talk about how the EPL is now better than the Seria A, what a load of crap. The Seria A is head and shoulders above the EPL and here are my reasons why.

TALENT & SKILL
The most talented and skillful players outside of the Spanish League are in the Seria A. The most talented and skillful player in every position in the EPL would not be worthy of cleaning his Seria A counterparts boots. Here are some examples...

KEEPERS
SERIA A
BUFFUN - Without doubt the best keeper in the world, he has the reflexes of a cat and the natural talent of being in the right position all of the time.
TOLDO - Just think back to Euro 2000, enough said.
EPL
BARTEZ - Okay his reflexes are extraordinary, but I've heard of vampires that can handle crosses better than he has. And can you really see Buffon or Toldo doing what he did against West Ham.
MARTYN - his work effect and heart can not be questioned, but really not in the same class.
JAMES - What I said about Bartez and crosses x 10... no x 100.

DEFENDERS
SERIA A
THURAM - If not the best defender in the world, surely is in the top three. He has the perfect mix, the touch and dribbling skills of a center midfielder, a tackling ability that is unsurpassed, and the
ability to read the game like a book. You don't get nicknamed the defender who doesn't make mistakes for nothing.
NESTA - Different to Thuram but just as good, can read the play and some of his tackles come straight out of a coaching manual.
CANNAVARO - The best man to man marker in the world, has the ability to completely man mark a center forward out of the game.
MALDINI - Has anyone ever seen a better left back?
This could go on forever
EPL
STAM - As hard as a rock and unbeatable in the air, but against a quick and agile forward he struggles.
CAMPBELL - Exact same story as Stam, but would struggle even more against a quick and agile player.
FERDINAND - Has there ever been a more over rated defender. Okay his young, but some of his mistakes are under 10 stuff.
G. NEVILLE - When coming through the MAN U. youth system was rated as the English Maldini, come on let's be serious. If he wasn't playing for MAN U. he would have been dropped to the Nation Wide League by now.

MIDFEILDERS
SERIA A
RUI COSTA - Behind Zidane the most skillful center midfielder in Europe, he has amazing vision and his through balls can cut any defence in two. Doesn't score many goals, but when he does they make the plays of the week.
TOTTI - Okay his arrogant and has an inflated opinion of himself, but his skill can not be denied and his only 25.
NEDVED - The perfect wide midfielder, has the dribbling skills to get passed defenders, the speed to get to the goal line and his crosses aren't half bad, and just to top it off he scores from open play as well.
TOMMASSI - Works hard and tackles harder, but he has nice touch as well, make no mistakes he was the most important player in Roma's title winning side.
HONARABLE MENTIONS
Albertini, Seedorf, Davids, Zambrotta, Poborsky, Redondo, Serginho, Coco, S.Conceicao, Emerson.
EPL
BECKHAM - The one thing that the EPL has that it can be proud of, even though I think he is one-dimensional the one thing that he can do better than anyone else is cross the ball.
KEANE - I don't care what anyone says but for me he doesn't have enough natural skill, he works hard and he'll die for the cause, but and it might be just me, however I think a center midfield can't afford to get as many red cards as he does.
VIERA - What a nut case, and when he does something that he knows was disgraceful he plays the race card.
GIGGS - Again a wonderful talent, he has all the weapons, but doesn't play enough games.
OTHERS THAT AREN'T UP TO IT
Batty, Butt, Wise, Anderton, Bowyer(nut case), Ince

FORWARDS
SERIA A
BATISTUTA - The best forward I've seen since Van Basten, he has everything, strong in the air, great on both feet and the ability to be in the right place at the right time.
VIERI - As he showed in the second half of the 2000/2001 season when fully fit he is unstoppable. Fast, strong and has a great touch, and most importantly knows where to go and when to go there.
SHEVCHENKO - Only foreigner to win Seria A golden boot in first year, says it all doesn't it.
CRESPO - Like a young Batistuta, already won one golden boot.
HONARABLE MENTIONS
Montella, R.Baggio, Salas, Recoba, Chiesa, Trezeguet, Di Vaio
EPL
KEWELL & HASSELBAINK - Only forwards in the EPL that could cut it in the Italian League, and it's just a matter of time before they see what they are missing and come over.
A. COLE - If you think he is world class I seriously recommend you go and get a brain scan. Takes him 5 good chances before he scores, and needs his team to be totally dominating a game or else he is unseen.
DUBLIN - Plays 90% of game with back to goal and therefore makes it easy for defenders to make sure he has no impact on game.
HESKEY - Again just doesn't have it, and if it weren't for the Liverpool rotation system would not get a game.

REJECTS
Think of all the players that have tried their luck in Italy and failed, but have then gone to the EPL and become stars. Such names include, VEIRA, RUSH, BERGKAMP, HENRY, INCE, R.KEANE...the list goes on. This proves the point that the EPL is easier therefore NOT better than the Seria A.

TACTICS
In this aspect there is no question the Italian League is at least 30 years ahead of the EPL. Italian clubs are able to change their games from 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2 or even a 4-5-1 formation, they are able to keep the ball when winning and change the tempo of a game with a blink of an eye. On the other hand English clubs stick with the 4-4-2 formation all the time, and for most of them there only tactic is to pump it to the big man up front, and hope for the best.

COMPETION
This year there are 5 clubs, Juve, AC, Inter, Roma and Lazio, in the Seria A that have realistic title hopes. Add to that the fact that Parma, Fiorentina and Bologna are all able to bet these teams and you have the most competitive title race in Europe. Also at the other end of the table you have a drop of 4 in an 18-team league, some say that it is unfair, but it is there to cut the dead wood from the league.
In the EPL do you really see anyone challenging Man U for the title, the only real question is Man U by how much? At the other end of the table you will again have Everton, Derby, Southampton and the 3 promoted clubs, and with only 3 going down it will happen again and again, and all these clubs couldn't defeat the top 10 in the league even with a 2 goal start.

CLUBS
Without doubt if any of Juve, Lazio, Roma, AC, Inter or Parma were to enter the EPL they would win it by Christmas. But, with the exception of Man U who would finish around mid table, if any EPL club were to enter the Seria A, they would be relegated with a maximum of 18 points. (with 38 points you were safe this year)

NATIONAL TEAM
I think you already know what I'm about to say, the EPL has only produced one national team that has won anything, the 1966 World Cup side. While the Seria A has produced 3 World Cup winning teams and 2 World Cup final teams for Italy. And you can also add to those 4 U-21 European Championship winning sides.

So to all you EPL supporters if you ever have the urge to say that the English game is better than the Seria A, stop and remember the points above. And they will stop you from making a complete ARSE of yourself.

Then why have English clubs had such a good record in Europe recently against Italian clubs (and in Europe generally compared to Italian clubs)?

I think that the top players in the Italian league are definitely better than the EPL, but somehow, the English clubs are more than competitive when they play Italian sides.

Spain's league at the moment is now the world's best.

How would Man Utd, who have won the Champs League in 99 and made at least the quarter finals for the last 5 years or so only finish midtable in a league that hasn't done anything decent in Europe since 3 or 4 seasons ago?

The reason why Italian clubs have struggled in the last 3 years is because the media have forced them into playing a foreign kind of soccer. This year you will see the Italian clubs back on top, and Man U for the 'self proclaimed' best club in the world have only beaten 2 Italian Clubs in the last 10 years. And for supposedly the best team that the EPL has ever produced isn't only one European Champions Cup in 30 years a pretty poor effort.

no probs here...at the moment Serie A is better than the EPL, but Spains is the worlds best, no question. But Verona, Brescia etc would be relegated by Christmas in the EPL as well.

We're still catching up thanks to UEFA's expulsion of England after Heysel. Before that Italian clubs weren't even in the game. Immediately before 1985 English clubs had won in I think 79,80,81,82,84 etc etc with Forest, Villa and Liverpool absolutely untouchable. How would Italian clubs go after 6-7 years of football wilderness? We've won 3 or 4 Cup Winners Cup, a UEFA cup and a Champions League since our readmission...not too bad I think.

I may be a little biased but i agree with everything you have said wb 4 ever. I do enjoy watching the EPL but for me nothing beats the Serie A.

I liked what Rivaldo said about the EPL, he was rumoured to be going to Man U and he said something like "Why would i go there? I need a challenge" lol. The only player from England i can remember having any success in the Serie A was Paul Ince. He may not have set Italy on fire but he was very handy for Inter, and the club was sorry to see him go. Robbie Keane wasn't given enough time with Inter, he could've made it, i have no doubt. I saw him play against Lazio in a pre season match and he was giving one of the great defenders in the world (Alessandro Nesta) a real headache.

Zola and Di Canio still do reasonably well in the EPL, need i say more.... ;) :D

btw, does anyone know where Oliver Bierhoff has gone? Is he still at Milan? I heard he was going to the EPL, if he does go to England put your money on him being the top goalscorer. Oli can't cut it in Italy anymore but i can see him dominating the air in England. ;)

Originally posted by CDFCLad
But Verona, Brescia etc would be relegated by Christmas in the EPL as well.

I disagree. Verona MIGHT struggle in England but Brescia would be in the top half of the EPL, no doubt in my mind. Do you understand what Roberto Baggio would do in England? :D Baggio turned on his magic after he got back from injury last season and saved Brescia from relegation BY HIMSELF! Brescia would hold there own in the EPL.... ;)

Roberto Baggio.... the real Italian #10......not bloody Alessandro 'I can't play anymore, please like me' Del Piero :mad:

hehe, guess who my fav all time player is? ;)

Originally posted by Chris_23

I disagree. Verona MIGHT struggle in England but Brescia would be in the top half of the EPL, no doubt in my mind. Do you understand what Roberto Baggio would do in England? :D Baggio turned on his magic after he got back from injury last season and saved Brescia from relegation BY HIMSELF! Brescia would hold there own in the EPL.... ;)

Roberto Baggio.... the real Italian #10......not bloody Alessandro 'I can't play anymore, please like me' Del Piero :mad:

hehe, guess who my fav all time player is? ;)

Yeah Baggio would cut it in the EPL, but Verona would struggle, not might ;) and I can't see Brescia in the EPL top ten Baggio or no.

Totally irrelevant argument anyhow.

Originally posted by wb 4ever
The reason why Italian clubs have struggled in the last 3 years is because the media have forced them into playing a foreign kind of soccer. This year you will see the Italian clubs back on top, and Man U for the 'self proclaimed' best club in the world have only beaten 2 Italian Clubs in the last 10 years. And for supposedly the best team that the EPL has ever produced isn't only one European Champions Cup in 30 years a pretty poor effort.

So how exactly did the media force the clubs into playing a foreign brand of soccer?
If by foreign soccer you mean that the Italian clubs stopped playing 'catannaccio' with 10 players behind the ball defending in their own half then maybe it's about time.The negativity & defensiveness of Italian football is an affront to the 'beautiful game' that Pele talked about.Italian clubs are floundering in European competition Arsenal beat Lazio, Leeds beat Milan & Liverpool beat Roma last season.
Man Utd isn't the best side this country has produced that accolade goes to Liverpool side of the 70's/80's who won 4 European Cups in 7 years & would have won more but for the ban.
English clubs have won more European trophies than any other country.
If you think that Hasslebank is one of the best forwards in England & could cut it in Italy then you don't know what you're on
about.Owen, Fowler,Van Nistleroy & Henry would all do extremely well in Italy-to call Henry a reject is a joke, they played him on the wing at Juve now he's a centre forward & one of the best in the world.
You obviously don't watch much English football if you think that our teams just pump the ball up to the big guy,5-10 years ago maybe but now hardly any teams play that style & none of the top sides.
Yes Italy may have won 3 World Cups but 2 of them were in the 1930's when england didn't compete in the competition but were regarded as the best team & they regularly beat the World Champions of Italy when they played both home & away.

BARTEZ - Okay his reflexes are extraordinary, but I've heard of vampires that can handle crosses better than he has. And can you really see Buffon or Toldo doing what he did against West Ham.

STAM - As hard as a rock and unbeatable in the air, but against a quick and agile forward he struggles.

G. NEVILLE - When coming through the MAN U. youth system was rated as the English Maldini, come on let's be serious. If he wasn't playing for MAN U. he would have been dropped to the Nation Wide League by now.

BECKHAM - The one thing that the EPL has that it can be proud of, even though I think he is one-dimensional the one thing that he can do better than anyone else is cross the ball.

KEANE - I don't care what anyone says but for me he doesn't have enough natural skill, he works hard and he'll die for the cause, but and it might be just me, however I think a center midfield can't afford to get as many red cards as he does.

GIGGS - Again a wonderful talent, he has all the weapons, but doesn't play enough games.

A. COLE - If you think he is world class I seriously recommend you go and get a brain scan. Takes him 5 good chances before he scores, and needs his team to be totally dominating a game or else he is unseen.

Couldn't really care less about comparing the EPL to Serie A, but a few points on the United players you have mentioned.

BARTHEZ. From what you say, you gotta wonder how come he's managed to collected winners medals for the European Cup, the World Cup, and the European Championships. Even the great Peter Schmeichel made some horrendous errors (tap the ball into your own net like against Sheffield Wednesday anyone?), and so will Barthez. But as any manager will tell you, a great keeper will SAVE you about 10 points a season and Barthez has done that for United.

STAM. For someone so slow and cumbersome, it's interesting that Fergie uses him against the oppositions fastest forward....like Owen for instance. Don't be fooled by his size, he's very quick off the mark, has fantastic positioning, and is brilliant at passing the ball out of defence (as opposed to hoofing it out).

G.NEVILLE. Calling him the English Maldini....who said that? He's a solid player, nothing great. His last two seasons have been average, but what he hasn't got in technical ability (and let's face it, if United signed Thuram or Lizaruzu, Neville would have gone from first choice to squad player), he makes up for in heart.

BECKHAM. Keep him on the right for his crosses. He hasn't played enough in midfield to get a full handle on the role. George Best made a scathing criticism of Beckham's limitations last year, and most of it was true. If he got more time in the middle though, we could see his full potential, but while he stays on the right, he'll just have to keep on providing the crosses.

KEANE. Red cards? In his last five seasons, he has only had 3 red cards. 1 in 96/97, NONE in 97/98, NONE in 98/99, 1 in 99/00, and 1 in 00/01. Don't care what you say, he is one of the best midfielders in the world.

GIGGS. Injury prone and can disappear in games. But capable of doing magical stuff, but I don't think he's achieved what his youth had promised.

COLE. Not world class at all. In fact, if Fergie got his way, it would have been a Yorke/Kluivert strike force 3 years ago, not a Cole/Yorke one. He's a poacher, gets goals, but seems to disappear after New Years (check it out, about 75% of his goals are scored before New Years!).

Originally posted by DIPPER

So how exactly did the media force the clubs into playing a foreign brand of soccer?
If by foreign soccer you mean that the Italian clubs stopped playing 'catannaccio' with 10 players behind the ball defending in their own half then maybe it's about time.The negativity & defensiveness of Italian football is an affront to the 'beautiful game' that Pele talked about.

Yep i agree, i don't see how the media can influence how a team plays...:confused:

'Catenaccio' has it's critics, always does. They did pretty damn well in Euro 2000 playing with that style though. I doubt you will see the Italian national team use Catenaccio anymore. Hopefully they can get Vieri, Totti, Montella, Inzaghi, Chiesa, Baggio etc etc all fit at the same time for the WC. Then you will see some attacking flair. ;)

'You obviously don't watch much English football if you think that our teams just pump the ball up to the big guy,5-10 years ago maybe but now hardly any teams play that style & none of the top sides.'

Unfortunately we do..............but when Quinn and Phillips play together it's just so effective that it would be silly to do anything else, but then again we aren't a top side...........yet
;)

While both are very strong leagues, neither of them can match the Primera League in Spain. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia and Deportivo La Coruna would dominate if they played in either of those leagues, and the second tier clubs such as Real Zaragoza, Alaves would compete strongly as well.

As for which is the better of the two, I'd have to give to the EPL purely on recent performances in the European competions, and the fact that most of the French players now prefer England or Spain to Italy. And we all know the French are producing the worlds best players at the moment.

Viva la France

World Champs 1998, 2002
Euro Champs 2000, 2004

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: why the SERIA A is the better than the EPL

Originally posted by Shinboners

G.NEVILLE. Calling him the English Maldini....who said that?

Shinboners that was a direct quote from one of the youth trainers, albeit not a very high positioned one, who about 8 years ago said, in a mag that they (MAN U) believed they have found the working man's Maldini.

All I did was change "working man's" to English.

Re: Re: Re: why the SERIA A is the better than the EPL

Shinboners that was a direct quote from one of the youth trainers, albeit not a very high positioned one, who about 8 years ago said, in a mag that they (MAN U) believed they have found the working man's Maldini.

All I did was change "working man's" to English.

So, you're bringing up a comment from a youth trainer from 8 years ago? . It wasn't that long ago that they annointed John Curtis as a future Manchester United captain, and he's now plying his trade with Blackburn Rovers or Barnsley or someone like that.

It would have been fair enough if Sir Alex Ferguson (or for that matter, any soccer official or journo who has made their mark on the game) made the comment within the last year or so, and then, the comment would have had some sort of resonance....but a youth trainer?

I don't think anyone of any substance would consider Neville to be anywhere near the class of Maldini.

Originally posted by Chris_23

Yep i agree, i don't see how the media can influence how a team plays...:confused:

'Catenaccio' has it's critics, always does. They did pretty damn well in Euro 2000 playing with that style though. I doubt you will see the Italian national team use Catenaccio anymore. Hopefully they can get Vieri, Totti, Montella, Inzaghi, Chiesa, Baggio etc etc all fit at the same time for the WC. Then you will see some attacking flair. ;)

Apologies on spelling of 'Catenaccio', yeh you're right there's some great flair player there especially Totti & my personal favourite Del Piero but there have always been a great number of technically skilled Italian players that's why I've never understood the compulsion to play safety first football with the emphasis on defence.Italian football fans love the game I just wonder how much more they would love it if more of their clubs sides played with attacking freedom & allowed the players to express themsleves more.

Also I couldn't agree more with people who say that The Spanish league is the best-I've thought this for a number of years going back to the mid/late 90's when the Italian clubs were still winning most of the European trophies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back