Which club do you think will be pushing for a flag first - Adelaide, Hawthorn or Sydney?

Which club do you think will be pushing for a flag first?

• Adelaide

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • Sydney

Votes: 71 67.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It does but I feel like this is a very easy out for people trying to explain the Swans rebuild. In recent years we have gained McInerney, McDonald, McCartin, Warner, McLean and Amartey all from the normal draft and if you don't count academy picks selected outside the first round we got Gulden too. Only top 10 academy picks we have are Heeney, Mills, Campbell and Blakey, and we paid a small fortune for them, well with the exception of Heeney who we got before the rules changed.

4 of our best 22 being first round academy picks isn't that much.
22% of your best 22, from the Academy. That's a decent slab.

It does but I feel like this is a very easy out for people trying to explain the Swans rebuild. In recent years we have gained McInerney, McDonald, McCartin, Warner, McLean and Amartey all from the normal draft and if you don't count academy picks selected outside the first round we got Gulden too. Only top 10 academy picks we have are Heeney, Mills, Campbell and Blakey, and we paid a small fortune for them, well with the exception of Heeney who we got before the rules changed.

4 of our best 22 being first round academy picks isn't that much.
It's a handy advantage... but also need to acknowledge you have one of the best recruitment teams.

No comment about Walker…? 😂
He's a gun & reckon still have another 2 years of watching him live like last night putting on a show. Like Hawkins he still playing well over 30, so why retire.

Meanwhile Fogarty & Thilthorpe are developing nicely... & we have father & son Welsh in 2024.

Laird won't be retiring anytime soon.

You forgot about Smith as our only other older player.

He's a gun & reckon still have another 2 years of watching him live like last night putting on a show. Like Hawkins he still playing well over 30, so why retire.

Meanwhile Fogarty & Thilthorpe are developing nicely... & we have father & son Welsh in 2024.

Laird won't be retiring anytime soon.

You forgot about Smith as our only other older player.

I don’t think you’ll be in contention while Tex is there, unfortunately!

But mad respect for him. He looked finished a few years ago! He is an absolute beast.

To be honest I think Adelaide and Hawthorn are rebuilding well as well. Really hard to tell in 2023 who is in the better position list wise.
Short term I would say Adelaide.
Medium term I would say Hawthorn.
Long term I would say North.

It's remarkably similar to Port, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne a decade ago.

Short term it was Port.
Medium term it was Bulldogs.
Long term it was Melbourne.

Short term I would say Adelaide.
Medium term I would say Hawthorn.
Long term I would say North.

It's remarkably similar to Port, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne a decade ago.

Short term it was Port.
Medium term it was Bulldogs.
Long term it was Melbourne.
What about Sydney though... ;)

Obviously not perfect but these are the teams all three clubs had last round. Now I am going to put in red every player in the three teams who are 28 years old and above.

SWANS
B: D.Rampe, T.McCartin, H.Cunningham
HB: J.Lloyd, N.Blakey, O.Florent
C: B.Campbell, L.Parker, E.Gulden
HF: I.Heeney, L.McDonald, S.Wicks
F: T.Papley, L.Franklin, J.Amartey
FOLL: H.McLean, Ch.Warner, C.Mills - C
I/C: R.Fox, J.McInerney, J.Rowbottom, W.Hayward

6 out of 22

CROWS
B: B.Smith, J.Butts, M.Keane
HB: M.Michalanney, J.Worrell, W.Milera
C: C.Jones, J.Dawson - C, M.Hinge
HF: B.Keays, D.Fogarty, S.McAdam
F: L.Pedlar, T.Walker, H.Schoenberg
FOLL: R.O’Brien, R.Laird, M.Crouch
I/C: R.Thilthorpe, R.Sloane, L.Murphy, L.Nankervis

6 out of 22

HAWKS
B: B.Hardwick, S.Frost, S.Mitchell
HB: J.Impey, J.Sicily - C, F.Maginness
C: W.Day, J.Worpel, J.Weddle
HF: C.Nash, C.Wingard, T.Brockman
F: D.Moore, M.Lewis, L.Breust
FOLL: L.Meek, J.Newcombe, J.Ward
I/C: C.Mackenzie, B.Ryan, L.Bramble, C.Macdonald

4 out of 22

Obviously not perfect but these are the teams all three clubs had last round. Now I am going to put in red every player in the three teams who are 28 years old and above.

SWANS
B: D.Rampe, T.McCartin, H.Cunningham
HB: J.Lloyd, N.Blakey, O.Florent
C: B.Campbell, L.Parker, E.Gulden
HF: I.Heeney, L.McDonald, S.Wicks
F: T.Papley, L.Franklin, J.Amartey
FOLL: H.McLean, Ch.Warner, C.Mills - C
I/C: R.Fox, J.McInerney, J.Rowbottom, W.Hayward

6 out of 22

CROWS
B: B.Smith, J.Butts, M.Keane
HB: M.Michalanney, J.Worrell, W.Milera
C: C.Jones, J.Dawson - C, M.Hinge
HF: B.Keays, D.Fogarty, S.McAdam
F: L.Pedlar, T.Walker, H.Schoenberg
FOLL: R.O’Brien, R.Laird, M.Crouch
I/C: R.Thilthorpe, R.Sloane, L.Murphy, L.Nankervis

6 out of 22

HAWKS

4 out of 22
Sloane was the sub, late change,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaides best footy is definitely up there. I’m surprised they’re not pushing top 4 already.
Lack of consistency due to most of our players still under 50 games.

Our best can match the best, but too much of games where we go missing.

Said before the start of the season I thought we would just miss finals & 2024 should be when we are making finals when we have most of our team above 50 games.

HAWKS
You missed Chad.

Not sure we’ll have all of those over 28’s next year.

Three teams at interesting stages of rebuild or resets, whatever the euphemism you like.

My mob were clearly not ready last year, but reckon they will be better next year, make the 8 and have a solid push for a Premiership. Most of our better players are under 25. Players like Lloyd and Parker will offer valued experience.

The Crows are similar and I can see them making the 8 next year and having a decent run.

The Hawks are doing a great slash, burn and rebuild. Can see them as challenging for the 8 next year.

Three teams at interesting stages of rebuild or resets, whatever the euphemism you like.

My mob were clearly not ready last year, but reckon they will be better next year, make the 8 and have a solid push for a Premiership. Most of our better players are under 25. Players like Lloyd and Parker will offer valued experience.

The Crows are similar and I can see them making the 8 next year and having a decent run.

The Hawks are doing a great slash, burn and rebuild. Can see them as challenging for the 8 next year.
Adelaide will make the finals next year and could make a preliminary final or two.
However I don't think they'll win a flag with this list due to their midfield and it's very difficult for non Victorian sides to win flags.

Hawthorn should make the finals in 2025 and enjoy a sustained period of contention from then onwards.
I can see them winning a flag or two especially if they get to play non Victorian sides in finals.

Sydney will no doubt enjoy a sustained period of contention as they do a good job of putting themselves in a position to contend on a consistent basis.
Haven't won a flag without cola though so it'll be interesting to see if they can.

Hawthorn should make the finals in 2025 and enjoy a sustained period of contention from then onwards.
I can see them winning a flag or two especially if they get to play Geelong
FTFY

How much did the academy have to do with Sydney bouncing back so much quicker than Adelaide and Hawthorn?

How much did the academy have to do with Sydney bouncing back so much quicker than Adelaide and Hawthorn?

Remember the academy kids are not free.

Also

B: N.Blakey, T.McCartin, L.Melican
HB: H.Cunningham, O.Florent, J.Lloyd
C: E.Gulden, Ch.Warner, J.McInerney
HF: J.Jordon, L.McDonald, T.Adams
F: T.Papley - C, J.Amartey, W.Hayward
FOLL: B.Grundy, I.Heeney, J.Rowbottom
I/C: R.Fox, M.Roberts, S.Wicks, H.McLean, B.Campbell

There were only 4 academy players playing today, and of those 4 only 2 of them were first round selections.

Was thinking about this today, footy fans can make a case for every team in the league having a leg up.

I posted on X about Geelong being professionally run and the replies were all “Hocking changed the rules for them”. Hadn’t heard that conspiracy before.

There’s father son, MCG advantage, priority picks, academies galore, umpires pets, COLA, nefarious drugs stuff etc.

Also

There were only 4 academy players playing today, and of those 4 only 2 of them were first round selections.
They might not be free but being able to trade down in order to bundle up late picks means you’re definitely getting a significant cut price deal.

They might not be free but being able to trade down in order to bundle up late picks means you’re definitely getting a significant cut price deal.

It is a discount, but not a significant one.

We only had 1 best 22 player today who was an academy pick and drafted in the first round. I think the Bulldogs had more first round academy/F/S players in their team this week.

Also

In the interest of honesty, it was 5 Academy players and 3 were 1st rounders. You left out Blakey who was pick 10

Back