Which club do you think will be pushing for a flag first - Adelaide, Hawthorn or Sydney?

Which club do you think will be pushing for a flag first?

• Adelaide

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • Sydney

Votes: 71 67.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say Hawthorn and Sydney are close to even. Adelaide behind. Can't see any side making a serious push before 2023 at the earliest - a bunch of people will make big. Claims about 5 or even 10 years, but I'm not prepared to make any sweeping declarations beyond that because 2 years is a massive time in footy. See, Western Bulldogs 2013.

Hawthorn in danger of rushing out a good coach in Clarkson for short term success. They were a bottom side for Clarksons first 2 years and a couple of years before that. Hawthorn played in a semi final in 2018. I think they do need to hit the draft hard for a couple of drafts though, unless a genuine big fish (J.Cameron the obvious RFA) comes up. Otherwise they have solidified the middle aged tier, getting in Wingard and Impey to support Mitchell, Sicily, Hardwick, O'Meara etc, and have some promise with Worpel, Day, Scrimshaw, Lewis.
But they need to identify some elite talents in key defender, key forward and small forward positions. Mids have good players and good depth, but after the game less Koschitzke, Frost is their youngest key defender I can see? Certainly don't want Sicily being the number 2 defender. Koschitzke was also a number 52 draft pick - I know, Hawks can pick out good players from Anywhere, but there's a lot riding on him right now because Frawley, Stratton, Hartley aren't forever and Frost isn't either. So they've got some holes to fill and picking up Frost and Patton types isn't cutting it.

A 2023 side could look like
B: Hardwick, Koschitzke, Day
HB: Sicily, high draft pick 2020, Impey - rely on Sicily and Hardwick to give Kosi and the draft pick a chop out
C: Scrimshaw, Worpel, Morrison
Foll: experienced cheap ruck, Mitchell, O'Meara - fairly stock standard, need to be careful to have a secondary midfield that has some extra speed though

HF: Hanrahan, Lewis, Wingard
F: medium/high draft pick 2020, high draft pick 2021, experienced forward such as Breust/Gunston/Patton depending on decline and needs - need a couple of experienced forwards to chop out, I don't think O'Brien is going to make it, Jones could be there, basically every flag side recently has had multiple good small forwards, but you also don't need to spend a top pick on them - I'd think the Rich and Hawk Riolis are the highest picked, not including the likes of Rayner or Rankine who would be expected to move into the middle??

Moving onto Sydney - they are the most forward in terms of rebuilding youth up of the 3 clubs here.
They've got solid foundations at the draft with Mills, Heeney, Florent, Blakey, Ling, Stephens first round picks with Gould, Rowbottom, McCartin, Hayward in the 2nd round in the past few drafts.
They probably out of the 3 clubs most have a discussion for a freshen up at the coaching table. Why Longmire and not Clarkson? Well Clarkson has had a rebuild and a revamp (2009-10) be successful. So makes sense to give him time. I'm not saying Longmire can't, he hasn't had too do it yet, but Sydney will need to have a clear idea of when they expect to jump up the ladder.
I don't think Blakey or McCartin will ever be true number 1 forwards, Blakey suited higher up and McCartin not that I think he's poor, just more see him as a Jack Darling to a JJK. So that's a spot for them to go. They've got Papley and Hayward for small forward roles, while Hewett, Florent, Mills and Heeney are a decent midfield group. Defence is where they look good on paper but fall apart. Outside of Rampe, who is prone to brain fades anyway, they don't have a trustworthy reliable back 6. When it's Lloyd, Allir, Fox, O'Riordan types, all of whom have positive sides to the game, no team will think they can't kick a winning score against them though. Probably not the right mix.
I think Daniher is the wrong forward for them, but if he's fit then he's worth a first rounder. But without him playing out 7-8 plus finals games this year at full fitness it's a massive risk. So I'll say we don't see the best of Daniher and he goes for a 2nd rounder.

2023 (no Franklin, Reid, Sinclair, Kennedy, Rampe)
B: Lloyd, Melican, Gould
HB: Cunningham/O'Riordan, ????, Dawson
C: Mills, Hewett, Rowbottom
HF: Blakey, Daniher, Stephens
F: Papley, McCartin, Heeney
Foll: ????? (McLean?), Parker, Florent

I'd say CHB could be targeted with a trade. Cunningham should probably be phased out too because he'll be 30 and there's enough seniority on there. I think that's tracking well for a finals side but requires some step ups or phasing out of Lloyd, Dawson, Melican and Cunningham to ensure the defence is rock solid (plus obvious development of Gould).

Finally Adelaide who I'd say are the currently worst placed. With the expected influx of picks over the next 2 years that could change quickly, but geez they've got some players to clear.
Come the start of 2023 you'd expect Mackay (34), Gibbs (34), Sloane (33), Walker (33), Lynch (32), Hartigan (31), Seedsman (31), and Brown (30) to be gone. I'd expect Talia (31), Smith (31), Laird (29), B.Crouch (29), Atkins (28), Knight (28) and M.Crouch (28) to have come under serious consideration for trades, particularly to contenders where they'd all be much better players as they were circa 2017. I also have doubts on the long term careers of Crocker, Murphy, Wilson (great SANFL player but Kane Mitchell like in terms of ability to step up) and perhaps even Keays, who is a good solid body for this young Crows side (as well as being accountable defensively) but much like with Brisbane could get his role pushed aside with team improvement. I'm not even convinced of Gallucci long term.

So it's a baby and bathwater situation. That's up to 15 players turned over in 2 or 3 pre seasons but the thing is up to 12 or 13 of those are regulars right now. It's a huge list change to navigate and they will be in damage control for 2021 at least but maybe 2022. One thing the Crows do exceptionally well though is draft.

B: Doedee, Talia, Laird
HB: top 5 pick 2022, McAsey, Hamill
C: Atkins, Milera, top 3 pick 2021
HF: Poholke, Fogarty, McAdam
F: Stengle, E.Himmelberg, McHenry
Foll: O'Brien, top 2 pick 2020, Jones

That gives them about 8 top 15 picks or so plus some guys who are ahead in their expected development (Hamill, Himmelberg). Some depth expected to have started with Frampton, Worrell, Schoenberg, McPherson, Davis, O'Connor and Gallant not doing anything wrong yet and should all be persisted with. And this is just their draft picks for finishing low - in my hypothetical side they'd have picks for the Crouch Brothers, Smith, Knight, plus normal 2nd rounders.
Keays, Knight, Smith, Lynch, Gallucci could all also persist through until then too. In terms of senior players it's hard to know who is going to be kept for a rebuild and who isn't, but of a crapshoot tbh,more just illustrating the point of why I think there will be higher turnover then compared to Hawthorn and Sydney who are likely to keep more of their current top 18 players by 2023 than Adelaide.

However while I think Crows fans wouldn't be unhappy with that 2023 side, it's hard to see it winning a flag within a year or 2 after that.

Now this is a very complicated question but I thought it would be an interesting discussion as all three clubs had success (admitting Hawthorn a lot more) but importantly all three have gotten worse on the field in the last few years, with each club tumbling down the ladder and not really expected to come back up again for some time.

Each club has their problems too. Hawthorn is old and seemingly does not have a lot of youth coming through, however, they do have a coach who has proven to be a master at getting the best out of his list and staying competitive. Hawthorn have also been shown to be very savy when trading. Sydney are super young but it is debatable whether the players can take the step up as well as whether the coach is up to it and Adelaide, well I am not even sure how to deconstruct what is going on at Adelaide but their list profile looks okay but like Hawthorn they seem to be lacking proper young talent.

So I thought I would put a general list profile of each club, how many players and what players are in each age bracket in a hopefully easy to read way. I have only included players that have played at least 1 game.

31+

McEvoy, Stratton, Smith, Frawley, Henderson, Puopolo, Burgoyne - 7
Kennedy, Franklin - 2
Gibbs, MacKay - 2

29 to 31

Scully, Shiels, Ceglar, Bruest - 4
Lynch, Walker, Sloan - 3
Sinclair, Rampe - 2

27 to 29

Fox, Parker, Naismith, Gray, Reid - 5
Brown, Seedsman, Smith, Hartigan, Talia - 5
Hartley, Mitchell, Patton, Gunston - 4

25 to 27

McAdam, M.Crouch, Knight, Kelly, Wilson, Atkins, B.Crouch, Laird - 8
Impey, Sicily, O'Brien, O'Meara, Minchington, Frost, Wingard - 7
L.Taylor, Aliir, Brand, Thurlow, Cunningham, Lloyd - 6

23 to 25

Clarke, Dawson, Melican, Papley, Heeney, Hewett, O'Riordan - 7
Davis, Doedee, Keays, Crocker, Frampton, O'Brien - 6
Hardwick, Howe - 2

21 to 23

Jiath, Jones, Worpel, Morrison, Lewis, Scrimshaw, Hanrahan, Nash, Cousins, Glass - 10
McPherson, Murphy, Stengle, Poholke, Himmelberg, Gallucci, Milera - 7
Bell, McLean, Hayward, Florent, Ronke - 5

18 to 21

Warner, E.Taylor, Stephens, Rowbottom, McInerney, Blakey, McCartin, Stoddart - 8
McAsey, Hamill, McHenry, Jones, Fogarty - 5
Morris, Day, Moore - 3

So which team do you think will be competing for the finals the soonest?

Surely millsy is in one of the age brackets?!?
Good work here mate. I would say we’re looking best placed. Lots to like in the kids, buddy still has time ahead of him and I liked the way we moved the pill yesterday. Perhaps horse is changing his approach?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sydney easily in pole position. Obviously that does not mean they are certain to make it and as has been said, not every talented kid becomes a star. But there is more to be hopeful about than the other 2.

All have their chances to rise quickly. For Hawthorn, it is going to have to be via free agency and the chance to play under Clarkson, but that's not going to get the young players through the door. The Hawks also lack senior currency in so far as being able to trade a gun older player for a rising young player.

Sydney have a lot of young players and have been going to the draft and grabbing academy choices. They are definitely in front right now. When they rid themselves of the Franklin contract, I expect them to bounce back.

Adelaide has a smattering of young players and I like a few of them I've been watching of late. Where the Crows have the advantage is the SANFL is quite strong and their scouting network is statewide and like the Eagles, can potentially hide away a prospect a little bit from Victorian eyes. Plus, they will get the benefit of the 50/50 calls where some clubs may not risk the go home factor. They have churned out a hell of a lot of talent over the years. Their issue is cleaning up the club, getting rid of egos and making it a happy place again. They need the full rebuild but if they can get their recruiting right again and not take shortcuts, I wouldn't bet against them picking up 4-5 decent AFL footballers every year and rising quickly. Will they eventually benefit from a return home for Lukocious or Rankine?

So 1. Sydney 2. Adelaide 3. Hawthorn (but the last rebuild they did, they won a flag within about 4 years).

Jesus give it a rest... You are calling someone an arrogant flog for saying they have a few good pieces.

You also think Dow and O'brien will be better footballers than Worpel so maybe give it a rest before going in on other peoples opinions of players.

Other than Cripps outside of consensus number 1 picks when was the last time Carlton drafted a midfielder as good as Worpel? No one on their current list fits the bill and I'm not even overly high on Worpel

"A few really good pieces"
Would that be Will Day because there is not one other young Hawthorn player I would take. I'm assuming you'll say the average foot soldier Worpel and the elusive Lewis and Scrimshaw who reputation most certainly exceeds their modest output.

Don't being an arrogant flog. Your list is shot
Hows this post ageing, do you think?

We'll see mate. Nice bounce over the last month but let's see how you guys go post the "do it for Clarko" bump.
Clarko or not, we’ve got more than a few good pieces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An army of sheep lead by a lion is always going to beat an army of lions lead by a sheep.
You just reminded me of the lazy analysis that’s going on at the moment.

When Hawthorn win it’s because of the master coach, but when we lose(which we’ve done a lot of for the last 3 years) it’s because of the list - which the master coach had a huge impact on.

You just reminded me of the lazy analysis that’s going on at the moment.

When Hawthorn win it’s because of the master coach, but when we lose(which we’ve done a lot of for the last 3 years) it’s because of the list - which the master coach had a huge impact on.

I think a coach obviously has an influence, and Clarkson is very good at adapting game plans for the list he currently has rather than the list he wants to have.

I think a coach obviously has an influence, and Clarkson is very good at adapting game plans for the list he currently has rather than the list he wants to have.
Yes, but you seem to be forgetting that we finished bottom 4 last year, were on track for bottom 2 only 2 weeks ago, were bottom 4 in 2019 before winning 3-4 games late.

Anyway, not the spot to be debating coaching, but it amuses me how it’s been forgotten just how s**t we have been for large parts of the last 2 years.

Yes, but you seem to be forgetting that we finished bottom 4 last year, were on track for bottom 2 only 2 weeks ago, were bottom 4 in 2019 before winning 3-4 games late.

Anyway, not the spot to be debating coaching, but it amuses me how it’s been forgotten just how sh*t we have been for large parts of the last 2 years.

Yes but I would argue you would have been even worse with Nathan Buckley at the helm.

How did Sydney rebuild so quickly compared to Adelaide and Hawthorn?
Sydney have already made finals twice including a grand final last year before either Adelaide or Hawthorn have made the finals once.
I know Sydney got destroyed in that grand final but they were unlucky to come up against a really strong team.

Sydney have already made finals twice including a grand final last year before either Adelaide or Hawthorn have made the finals once.
I know Sydney got destroyed in that grand final but they were unlucky to come up against a really strong team.

To be honest I think Adelaide and Hawthorn are rebuilding well as well. Really hard to tell in 2023 who is in the better position list wise.

Compared to the Crows, they have been a stable & well coached under Longmire.

Crows went into full rebuild mode after Pyke left, which was always going to take a bit longer. Sydney have a bigger core of experienced players, along with exciting younger crop.

Think the Crows have caught up to Sydney now & will be interesting to watch both clubs over the next few years.

Are we going to pretend like Sydney's academy doesn't exist?

Are we going to pretend like Sydney's academy doesn't exist?

It does but I feel like this is a very easy out for people trying to explain the Swans rebuild. In recent years we have gained McInerney, McDonald, McCartin, Warner, McLean and Amartey all from the normal draft and if you don't count academy picks selected outside the first round we got Gulden too. Only top 10 academy picks we have are Heeney, Mills, Campbell and Blakey, and we paid a small fortune for them, well with the exception of Heeney who we got before the rules changed.

4 of our best 22 being first round academy picks isn't that much.

Back