Which club do you think will be pushing for a flag first - Adelaide, Hawthorn or Sydney?

Which club do you think will be pushing for a flag first?

• Adelaide

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • Sydney

Votes: 71 67.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney are well into the rebuild if you want to call it that. They have a long way to go but they have at least started the process.

Adelaide are at the bottom of the barrel, not much talent not much quality experience. 5 years away at least.

Hawthorn have been mediocre since 2017 and need to make some hard decisions.

Sydney's young group is deep but I don't rate any of them particularly highly except for Papley, who isn't far off being the best small forward going around and he will continue to be for some time (key problem is that he seems high risk to leaving soon).

Blakey's hype in particular is mind boggling. That kid is really, really struggling and I've never seen anything particularly encouraging from him, even dating back to his under 18 year when he was loved my many. Perhaps its the infatuation with his height in combination with his speed that just equals potential in the eyes of many, but he has so much to work on that it isn't funny.

The Swans well ahead of the other 2 teams in rebuilding. Going to get 2 more academy players this year to add to their young guns.

Well according to Hawthorn supporters they win a flag every 7 years so it would have to be them surely?
It's just facts.

Probably sydney, Adelaide need to start churning some guys out, Hawks have started but we don't have that shopfront talent yet, just a few really good pieces, Sydney have some good players at a good age if Longmire stopped his fetish of trying to turn ultra talented Hayward/Heeney into flankers

The way to get this right is to pick who you think is furthest away from a flag then then it's probably them.

Who tipped WC to win in 2018 after 2017? 16 players with 100+ games in the 2017 SF. Two played in 2018 but missed the GF, 5 never played another game. Ins were Ryan, Rioli, Masten, Venables, Cole, Lycett, Schofield. Not 7 players you would expect to be difference makers.

Sydney will likely have 3 top ten picks this year - due to the compromised draft. The draft system is designed to ensure northern clubs remain competitive.

Plus they have been relying on youth for a while - partly because of some senior players leaving for more money.

Sydney, Hawks, Adelaide.
Crows will probably lose more players at the end of the season and would say their youth doesn’t really impress me and their list is in worse shape than the others. If they nail there next couple of drafts then who knows but they will struggle to pick up FA’s for awhile I’d think

Sydney easily...their young talent is excellent...heeney, mills, Florent, heyward, mccartin, Blakey, Dawson all look like they will become guns...they would all be in our current best 22...

Hawks and Adelaide’s lists are absolutely cooked...at least we were able to win some silverware over the past decade, which will make the next 3-5 years of pain manageable
Spot on. Sydney’s talent is growing, the other 2 lists are cooked

Blakey's hype in particular is mind boggling. That kid is really, really struggling and I've never seen anything particularly encouraging from him, even dating back to his under 18 year when he was loved my many. Perhaps its the infatuation with his height in combination with his speed that just equals potential in the eyes of many, but he has so much to work on that it isn't funny.

I don't think the SCG suits him. I have seen him cut it up there some weeks (in 2019) but I think he needs space to run like Nick Reiwoltd. He would be smart to move if his blues continue. I see him more as a CHF than FF.

It's just facts.

Probably sydney, Adelaide need to start churning some guys out, Hawks have started but we don't have that shopfront talent yet, just a few really good pieces, Sydney have some good players at a good age if Longmire stopped his fetish of trying to turn ultra talented Hayward/Heeney into flankers
"A few really good pieces"
Would that be Will Day because there is not one other young Hawthorn player I would take. I'm assuming you'll say the average foot soldier Worpel and the elusive Lewis and Scrimshaw who reputation most certainly exceeds their modest output.

Don't being an arrogant flog. Your list is shot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney will likely have 3 top ten picks this year - due to the compromised draft. The draft system is designed to ensure northern clubs remain competitive.

Plus they have been relying on youth for a while - partly because of some senior players leaving for more money.

So the Swans get 3, Cats get 3, GCS get 2... doesnt leave much for anyone else.

Maybe looking somewhere other than the draft makes sense.

So the Swans get 3, Cats get 3, GCS get 2... doesnt leave much for anyone else.

Maybe looking somewhere other than the draft makes sense.

The draft in 2020 could be a scandal. The AFL saying in private: "Oops... we went too far".

Would that be Will Day because there is not one other young Hawthorn player I would take. I'm assuming you'll say the average foot soldier Worpel and the elusive Lewis and Scrimshaw who reputation most certainly exceeds their modest output.

Jesus give it a rest... You are calling someone an arrogant flog for saying they have a few good pieces.

You also think Dow and O'brien will be better footballers than Worpel so maybe give it a rest before going in on other peoples opinions of players.

Swans due to access to their Academy picks. Adelaide aren’t going anywhere for the foreseeable future, their culture is cooked. And Hawthorn consistently give away their draft picks for junk-time hacks.

Average foot soldier Worpel won a F+B at 20 in a team which was in the hunt for finals last year. Don't be an arrogant flog.

Sydney probably have the best young talent, but all three sides need to stop tripping over their own penises and just football. If
i am forced to be serious there are many teams who may never win another premiership, but at the moment this is a minor
consideration to say the least.

Missing Worrell, Schoenberg, Sholl, Gollant & others from our 18-21 year olds we have drafted in the last 2 years.

Imo, Hawks are the least likely as most reliant on their older players.

To get an idea of the holes in our squad, picking a side from our under 30's...

B: Brown, Talia, Worrell
HB: McPherson, Doedee, Hamill
C: Milera, Brouch, Smith
HF: Davis, McAsey, McHenry
F: Stengle, Fogarty, McAdam
R: O'Brien, Schoenberg, Jones
I: Laird, Mrouch, Seedsman, Sholl

Just need to keep getting games into our young talent... including the early 2x 1st & 2nd rounders we have in this year's draft.
Problem is you don't already have the same young talent on your list as you have more 30+ aged players who you are more reliant on.

Also, Hawks don't have many recent early pick draftees as have traded away to get the likes of Wingard, OMeara & Mitchell.

Both Swans & Crows have been going to the draft.

They might be more reliant on older players but Hawthorns rebuild once they take away 6-8 senior passengers (Puopolo, Stratton, even Burgoyne isn't a star now), will be lead by a much better group than Adelaides.

While the kids are developing on each side, Hawthorn have Gunston, Mitchell, Wingard, O'Meara, Sicily, Impey, Howe, Hardwick, plus guys like Patton, Breust, Smith, Scully, Shiels aren't done with just yet.

Their kids will be replacing the least effective senior players.

Whereas Adelaides kids have had to come in and had a lot less senior help (Sloane, Laird, Talia, M.Crouch, Walker, Lynch - how many of these guys are having their worst years in a long time), the kids will have to pull a massive weight. Also having guys like Ben Crocker and Paul Seedsman doesn't help the side a whole lot, just because they're not ancient doesn't mean it's better than Hawthorns deadwood.

The way to get this right is to pick who you think is furthest away from a flag then then it's probably them.

Who tipped WC to win in 2018 after 2017? 16 players with 100+ games in the 2017 SF. Two played in 2018 but missed the GF, 5 never played another game. Ins were Ryan, Rioli, Masten, Venables, Cole, Lycett, Schofield. Not 7 players you would expect to be difference makers.

To be honest only Ryan and Rioli were probably the only real difference makers there and while I don't think people would have expected it so soon, they are dynamic forwards that livened up the 50 for the likes of Cripps and LeCras, while Schofield was the equivalent of 2017 MacKenzie.

James Worpel is by far a better player than you give him credit for. Having a defensive side to his game while more acclaimed mids get the disposals does not make him "an average foot soldier".

Back