What sort of coach will GMAC be for the Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Jack Darling
Just wondering what John Witherall and the crews announcement of Guy Mckenna will do for the club now that he has been appointed the new head coach for the next two seasons as well as the inaugral coach in 2001?

There is no doubt that he is a quality person. Two-time premiership player, club captain, 250 plus games. His character around the West Coast was that of pure professionalism, notwithstanding he was also the team 'clown'.

We have seen in the past that defenders make very good coaches, Woosha, Sheedy, Malthouse to name a few, so he is in very esteemed company there.

My concern is that the GC will use there key picks and trade heavily for a competitive team. I believe this could be detrimental to the club down the line (look at Brisbane in 1987 and more recently Fremantle 1995). Therefore surely the best thing to do would be to perhaps go for a Key Forward, someone of a Franklin type with some top picks, and then a quality midfielder.

The club would then use the picks and utilise the cream of the 2010 draft. The players could then stick together and gel and slowly become a dominant team. They will get about 15-20 bites of the cherry in the 2010 draft alone, not to mention taking the cream of the QLD talent in the proceeding two years.

Picture this, if the GC team started in 2001 they could have players such as Judd, Hodge, Ball, Bartel, Riley, Dal Santo, Pollack, Kelly, Mcguire, Seaby, Steve Johnson, LRT, Rodan, Mitchell, Montagna, Hasen, Waite, Welsh, Medhurst, Swan, Schneider, Lake and David Johnson in the one team. Imagine that! I know that not every draft will be like 2001, but it is just an example - and imagine how that team would dominate.

The GC and GMAC have a perfect opportunity to build a premiership team for 2015/16 if they are prepared to be patient. But is GMAC that sort of coach? How instrumental has he been in developing the players at Collingwood, could he get Pendlebury or Thomas up there?

Personally, I think that he will be persuaded to go for a ready made team so his own career does not fall into jeopardy, and that would be tragic for the GC and the game, what do people think that McKenna will do, or will his hands be tied in this regard?

I would think he would be a good coach. Has had a wealth of experience as an assistant and gets the oppurtunity to build the team and mould the young guys as he sees fit. can instil a game plan into them over the next two tears with a view to bringing that and a well drilled team into the AFL on the up.

Good luck to him. Always liked him as a player.

Interesting selection, I thought. I agree with JTGM and TBoyleSuperstar comments on Guy McKenna's qualities as a person and football experience.

But he only has a 2 year contract, so it only encompasses stints in the TAC Under 18's and then VFL, expiring before the teams entry into the AFL.

JTGM asked the question - "...How instrumental has he been in developing the players at Collingwood, could he get Pendlebury or Thomas up there? ..."

In truth, another contendor for the GC coaching job, Alan Richardson, along with reserves coach Gavin Brown, have had far more of an active role at Collingwood in developing the young draftees and rookies.

McKenna's role at Collingwood has more been with working with the senior players and team tactics. That's why I (amongst others) was a bit surprised by the appointment. Guy is taking a risk by stepping away from the AFL "mainstream" for 2 years, with no certainty at all of being rewarded with the senior coaching role - he will have Voss (to name just one), waiting in the wings.

Anyway, good luck to him.

Interesting selection, I thought. I agree with JTGM and TBoyleSuperstar comments on Guy McKenna's qualities as a person and football experience.

But he only has a 2 year contract, so it only encompasses stints in the TAC Under 18's and then VFL, expiring before the teams entry into the AFL.

JTGM asked the question - "...How instrumental has he been in developing the players at Collingwood, could he get Pendlebury or Thomas up there? ..."

In truth, another contendor for the GC coaching job, Alan Richardson, along with reserves coach Gavin Brown, have had far more of an active role at Collingwood in developing the young draftees and rookies.

McKenna's role at Collingwood has more been with working with the senior players and team tactics. That's why I (amongst others) was a bit surprised by the appointment. Guy is taking a risk by stepping away from the AFL "mainstream" for 2 years, with no certainty at all of being rewarded with the senior coaching role - he will have Voss (to name just just one), waiting in the wings.

Anyway, good luck to him.

Definately, I was surprised by the selection, and now hearing that he works more on strategy than player development, I am a bit miffed on this selection. Sounds like Vossy has gone off to get some experience before coming back and making the position his own.

AS Vossy tried to highlight before, GMAC's position is basically a 'hiding-to-nothing' proposition, as no matter which development plan he inaugurates, there is no probability he will be there after the first AFL year.

Yes - as stated in todays Age - http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/mckenna-lands-gold-coast-job/2008/08/13/1218307010837.html

"... Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse said a month ago that he would counsel any of his assistants to only take the job on a three-year contract, reasoning that if it was good enough for Voss, who was less experienced than the short-listed coaches, then it as good enough for the more experienced coaches..."

Another comment on McKenna (not a criticism, but maybe a relevant observation) - except for a very short period early in his career, where he maybe played under Todd in his short, unsuccessful stint at West Coast, McKenna played only with Malthouse as his only head coach - and has since been an assistant coach but still only under Malthouse.

In contrast, Voss played under at least 3 (or was it 4) coaches, of whom one was successful, and is now working under another sucessful coach.

Yeah Vossy had as coach Rob Walls, Northey, and Roger Merrett? as interim before Lethal arrived, so a fair range there. Like you Prof, I'm very concerned about GMAC's specific exposure only to Malthouse's coaching methods.

I can remember reading somewhere that GC17 were glad Vossy didn't take up on the limited contract, because this left the way open to hiring a Development coach and then a permanent Head coach once the team was in the AFL, someone who understood the dev coach's strategies. Given that scenario, the head coach would now be Malthouse! I was hoping it would be a McRae-Voss eventual ticket, and saw his 2 years at West Coast as assistant as preparation for that.

How many start-up coaches of new clubs have been dumped soon after, especially when someone 'better' becomes available? Malthouse has done well to warn, but surely GC17 should make the contract 3 years with an optional extra two, leaving both parties with an exit clause! Vossy would have been ok with that.

On further reflection, what a delightful way for Malthouse to 'retire' to the Gold Coast upon his selection as Head Coach for 2011. After all, he got the Eagles off to a great start and flags. The AFL will be chuffed at this masterstroke, even if he's only offered a 3 yr contract.

Right by his side will be the Development Coach/now Assistant Coach GMAC who will take over the reins in 2014 at age 44. Perfect. GMAC could then have a ten year coaching stint, MM becoming CEO.

Gold Coast fans will be happy they got quality and experience in their coach, AFL covering their bases. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back