What are you currently watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the first episode of Expats (Prime) starring Nicole Kidman. My main interest was that it is set in HK, where I spent many years. That's about as far as my interest in this series goes. All about the lives and loves and dramas of the rich. Kidman's character is married to a local Chinese businessman and has lived there for many years. Not sure how that qualifies as Expat rather than migrant, but, oh well.

These ultra-interesting expats all live on the Peak. Now, having lived there, I can attest that these apartments are extremely expensive and are the focus for all upwardly mobile professionals. It is common for US companies, in particular, to rent these for their executives. I had a good friend who worked for BAT who lived in one of these apartments - a massive 4BR unit with outstanding views of the harbour. He was single. At the time, 20 years ago, that apartment cost $25,000 AUD PER MONTH to rent.

I am not against people having money and spending it as they see fit. But I am sick of TV shows presenting it as if it is for normal people. I was an Expat at one point. But I had to search for a 2 br shithole in the lowlands. Not complaining cos I had a great time. SO, for me, this show has nothing to do with Expats, but just another rich-people drama that I don't really give a flying f** about.

As for the story line, it may turn out to be interesting, but I doubt it. Nicole Kidman doesn't do it for me. I find watching her rather tedious. It is probably time she gave up wearing backless gowns and trying to look sexy. Time to try out a grandma role and focus on acting skills.

Not for me, but make your own decision.

Last edited:
American Star - starring Ian McShane (John Wick, American Gods and many others). Really underrated actor and was the only reason I bothered with this.

McShane plays a hitman sent to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands. His mark is delayed so he decides to spend some time on the island. Movie is quite slow, but I enjoyed McShane's performance, and therefore the movie on the whole.

The Beekeeper starring Jason Statham. Statham's character is a retired Beekeeper - Beekeepers are totally off-grid operatives with a mandate to maintain order and balance in the society. The analogy is the Bee-hive which has a very structured and ordered society where, and I didn't know this, there is one type of bee that will destroy the queen if she doesn't produce the right type of bee that will best serve the hive. Bit of a stretch, I know, but it gives some credibility to the title.

This one is for pure escapism so do not expect any deep and meaningful psychological thriller. The beekeeper lives with an elderly lady (do you remember Phylicia Rashad?) who is scammed by hackers, losing everything, and then commits suicide. The beekeeper decides to track the hackers and destroy their multi-million dollar operation.

Typical Statham, who seems to enjoy some invulnerability in dodging hails of bullets - not John Wick-level unbelievable, but close.

As I said, pure escapism and quite enjoyable.

I watched the Greatest Night in Pop on Netflix two nights ago -- a doco on the making of the We Are The World .. USA for Africa song from 1985. Very much worth a look.

Unfortunately I've had the tune stuck in my head ever since. :rolleyes:
Watched that last night, loved it, absolutely joyous. Had a smile on my face throughout, except when I was tearing up…

So Mr and Mrs Smith (Prime). Stars Alexander Skarsgard and Eiza Gonzales as Mr and Mrs Smith. But they die in the first 2 minutes. Then we are left with Donald Glover and Maya Erskine as the new breed. Ok for what it is. I have only watched the first episode so cannot say if it will get any better.

Eiza Gonzales would have been a candidate for the eye candy of the year award if she did get herself killed.

February is a big month for TV. Several shows returning, including The Equalizer, the FBI series x 3, Halo, NCIS x 2, The Good Doctor, The Rookie, Code 8 and a swag of new shows, notably Avatar The Last Airbender (real actors) and the one I am hanging out for - Shogun on Feb27.

I have heard very good reports about Fargo season 5. Seems they have returned to the winners list!!

Don't forget, REACHER, season 2 starts tomorrow.

Just heard and then checked out the trailer to the movie "Silent Night" (2023) by John Woo. Movie review by Paul Harris on 3AW nights. Wow. This looks like the type of movie I would spend money on to go and actually see in the movies.

Might join the annual play list at this time of the year with Die Hard 1 and 2 and ors.
I was disappointed in Reacher S2.
It lost me at E6 when the cop is being chased by gunmen and there is no other cars on the road and he doesn't call for help.

S1 was pretty good.

An update on Mr and Mrs Smith: I thought the first 4 episodes were moderately entertaining given the type of show it is (low level comedic spy thriller). Then it went downhill fast. The last 4, in my mind were absolute garbage. I hope there is no series 2 as it would take a timeslot from something else.

I watched the Sound of Freedom
True story and one I didn’t think I could sit through but glad I did
The statistics on child trafficking are mind blowing and doesn’t get the headlines it should

Apparently there is a new series on Apple + called Masters of the Air. Curious as to who has seen it as its had some fairly unflattering reviews.

On a side note, I would really like to see a series done on the RAF 617 Squadron. There was a movie called the Dam Busters, but I read a book of the same name I bought in England in 1973 and, while bursting dams was certainly a dramatic event, that group had many, MANY more exploits worthy of recall.

American Star - starring Ian McShane (John Wick, American Gods and many others). Really underrated actor and was the only reason I bothered with this.

McShane plays a hitman sent to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands. His mark is delayed so he decides to spend some time on the island. Movie is quite slow, but I enjoyed McShane's performance, and therefore the movie on the whole.

He was also awesome in Deadwood.

Apparently there is a new series on Apple + called Masters of the Air. Curious as to who has seen it as its had some fairly unflattering reviews.

On a side note, I would really like to see a series done on the RAF 617 Squadron. There was a movie called the Dam Busters, but I read a book of the same name I bought in England in 1973 and, while bursting dams was certainly a dramatic event, that group had many, MANY more exploits worthy of recall.
There are 2 parts to your question on Masters of the Air. Firstly, the flying scenes/bombing runs are well done and worth seeing. Secondly, the ground scenes are nothing more than a banal attempt to humanise the characters. There is no story line per episode and no series plot line. I find the acting very ordinary overall, but that could have something to do with a shallow, meaningless script. Unflattering reviews do not surprise me.

I doubt the flying scenes could carry each episode for the rest of the series as there can be little variation on what has already been shown. 100 go up 50 come back. So if I had to hazard a guess at what happens for the rest of the series, we would see planes being shot down, crew members scooped up by the Resistance and make an escape back to England, or die trying, others captured and spending time in a Stalag, perhaps some escaping. And, of course, more bombing runs.

I remember The Dam Busters. Good movie. Agree, a series would be good to see.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be late to the party here - but This Country is excellent, the comedy is so subtle, sometimes it's just a look or a couple of words. The humour reminds me of The Office (UK), and to boot, one of the main characters looks and acts EXACTLY like Gareth, as if he were his son, born in the Cotswolds.
Thank's for the recommendation I had a very good laugh with that.
Also just started the new season of Fargo . Only aa couple of episodes in but it's started very well

Apologies but I haven't
For all mankind on Apple TV. Alternate history space race where the Soviets were first to the moon and it kept the space race going into the 90s.

Joel Kinnaman (Killing, Altered Carbon S1, Robocop reboot, Suicide Squad) the most famous name in the cast.

Up to Season 3 now in the 90s. Super show.
Arupist mentioned For All Mankind, too.

Just commenced season 4 after watching the previous 3 seasons, can be slow in parts, but definitely worth it. From the slick CGI, to the make-up aging the actors is extremely good.

Although not our timeline, just shows where a tiny bit of difference (Sergei Korolev, the Soviet's father of Spaceflight) doesn't die, completely changes mankind's trajectory. Scientific advancement is thrust forward by 10 to 15 years, World powers forced at times to work together. Truly fits the name 'For All Mankind'.

"Leave the World behind" (2023) on Netflix

Written and directed by Sam Esmail.

Latest Julia Roberts film 2h 18m long (its long) also starring Ethan Hawke as her husband, Kevin Bacon and Mahershlala Ali (Green Book & Hidden Figures).

The trailer leaves you thinking is this a "Close Encounters of the third kind" (1977) or another type of end of the world film like "The Day After" (1983), the "Last Wave" (1977), "Knowing" (2009) or even a variation on Key Largo (1948)?

Plot: Julia and Ethan pack their 2 kids up and head to Long Island to a rented vacation home for the weekend. Strange things start to happen then 2 strangers turn up.
I won't say any more about the plot, could be any of the above or a variation of.

Stuck it out, see how it would end. Julia Roberts is not your pretty woman in this film.

Wife was less than impressed but at least we are still "Friends" - my last word on this film.

I've just finished Season 4. S3 & S4 aren't quite up to the first two seasons but still been good.

Don't get to watch too many things these days, but started Blue Eyed Samurai on Netflix, and the Bear on Disney.
I read this post and your mention of Blue Eye Samurai piqued my interest. I recognised it as Anime immediately and have usually not had any interest in this genre. However, I did check it out and found a host of well-known actors doing the voice work, including Kenneth Brannagh, Maya Erskine (Mr a& Mrs Smith), George Takei (Star Trek), Masi Oka (Heroes) and a handful of other actors I have seen over the years. So I decided to have a look.

I realise there is quite a following of Anime, but it is simply not for me. Gratuitous cartoon sex and nudity just doesn't do it for me. The storyline could have been interesting but was over the top and drawn out. John Wick has nothing on Mizu.

Hope you, and others, enjoyed it, but for now, my curiosity is well and truly satisfied. Cheers.

Watched 'Lioness', absolutely intense, gritty to the point of being a little hard to watch at times.

That and Slow Horses put me in the mood for more cloak and dagger stuff. Someone suggested the show 'Patriot' to me. Four eps in, I can't decide yet whether it's absolutely brilliant or the dumbest, most contrived thing I've ever seen. We'll see how it goes...

Hawthorns media content has been really good this year. I've actually been watching a fair bit.
This is good. Not having seen much of or heard from Wingard since basically his Port days I'm surprised at how much he has matured. Still has something left in the tank and can only be a positive having him around the younger guys. He's surprised me alot.

Just finished watching "Griselda" (2024) [6-part series on NETFLIX] the story of 1980's Miami drug queen Griselda Blanco known as the "Godmother."

Stars Sofia Vergara (Modern Family) who plays one very ruthless mother dominating the Miami drug scene. trying to stay ahead of the Police and other drug lords who in the 1980's not prepared to accept equal opportunity and a woman being in control.

Vergara is excellent - wears extensive prosthetics around her eyes, nose and chin to look more like the real Griselda did and not like the pretty Gloria in Modern Family.

The real Griselda Blanco is believed responsible for over 250 murders and this show certainly showcases many, some in quite graphic detail along with a couple of really dark moments combined with drug use, sex, nudity, this is not for the kiddies.

Really well written, each episode seems to end up that Griselda has won but then faces and even tougher situation to deal with next throwing into doubt her hard won wins to date.

If I have to give it a figure, 8.0 out of 10. (could have 7.5 but the extra .5 for the production values in bringing out the feel and street vibe of the 1980's in the 2020's.

There is a German movie just released called The Zone of Interest. All about Auschwitz commandant Rudolf Höss and his wife Hedwig who strive to build a dream life for their family in a house and garden beside the camp.

No attempt to humanise those pricks can make any difference.

Will not be watching. Probably a story that should not be told. And probably should not have even been written.

Unbelievable.

Just watched S1 of True Detective again.

Still mesmerising as it was 10 year ago. Masterpiece!
Some old shows are still worth watching.

To fill the void, I recently decided to go back and re-watch Season 1 of Elementary. S1 became S2, which became S3 and before I knew it I had watched all 7 seasons.

Johnny Lee Miller is my favourite Sherlock Holmes. Quite brilliant.
You need to get past a few things to watch this show:

1. It is set in New York
2. It is set in modern day
3. Dr Watson is an Asian-American female

There are still references to the original concept by Conan-Doyle. Moriarty, father Morland and brother Mycroft are there. 221B Baker street is still Sherlock's original home. Lestrade gets a mention or two. Even the Hound of The Baskervilles.

After the love of his life is murdered, Sherlock spirals into a world of heroine addiction and is sent to New York to clean up. Joan Watson (Lucy Liu) is an ex surgeon who left after accidentally killing a patient and becomes his sponsor. Sherlock starts work consulting to the NYPD. Watson tags along under the guise of I go where he goes cos he is an addict. And the legend is born.

Worth a look if you have nothing to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back