What are you currently watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry arupist. Watched the first bit of episode 1 of Vigil but turned off when they showed the interior of the luxury nuclear cruise submarine. Sorry, details matter and the producers couldnt produce something way more realistic - both the submarine and the whole premise of sending a police officer, female no less to a sub in the middle of a strategic patrol that was believable, then I just gave this a big miss.
You're a hard man to please Rusty!

Sorry arupist. Watched the first bit of episode 1 of Vigil but turned off when they showed the interior of the luxury nuclear cruise submarine. Sorry, details matter and the producers couldnt produce something way more realistic - both the submarine and the whole premise of sending a police officer, female no less to a sub in the middle of a strategic patrol that was believable, then I just gave this a big miss.

As will I on the 2nd second season. Hate, absolutely hate it when they invent countries - in this case the fictional Kingdom of Wudyan and use that as the basis of the story. I just do not buy it.
When one of my very favs the West Wing went off rails with its "Sultanate of Qumar"..all episodes about this probably the worst of the whole 7 seasons.
I totally get your point, Rusty. I am a little more forgiving when it comes to imaginary countries. It would potentially ignite an international incident if they used a real country. But then, they could avoid this type of story altogether. By the same logic, though, you could wipe away all of Marvel and DC movies, all Sci Fi and so on. In the case of Vigil, the storylines are still pretty good.

You might enjoy The Covenant with Jake Gyllenhaal. This one actually takes place in Afghanistan.

Also watched the first episode of The Artful Dodger. Just couldn't get into it at all. Sometimes, the work of literary greats should just be left alone.

Watching on SBS on Demand (Excellent range of subjects on offer) "Blue Lights" (2023) police procedural set in Northern Ireland.

Probably the best known cast member is Richard Dormer from GoT - he played the one eyed man from the religious sect through the series who seemed to always bug The Hound.

6 eps x 1 hour each. Follows 3 rookies 1 month in on their 3 month probation.

While the troubles may have officially ended, the tension between certain sections of the population and police remain. I would ask the question why would you be a copper in NI when you have to start your day looking under your car for the bomb that maybe placed there!.

For those missing their regular dose of Sci-Fi, watch out for Rebel Moon: Part One - A Child of Fire on Netflix. Directed and co-written by Zack Snyder. Is pretty good. Part two due in 2024.
Just watched this, thought it was bog average. I like these kind of movies but it was quite a let down. Story line was generic, basically just nazis in space and has no character development whatsoever. Visually good, but no depth to the story.

Tossing up whether I even bother with Part 2.

Just watched this, thought it was bog average. I like these kind of movies but it was quite a let down. Story line was generic, basically just nazis in space and has no character development whatsoever. Visually good, but no depth to the story.

Tossing up whether I even bother with Part 2.
What have you got against space nazis? We don't get many of these pure Sci-Fi movies, so beggars can't be choosers if you are a fan. Maybe not for everyone but sh!ts all over the Marvel and DC crap served up recently. I see Aquaman has been released. I am really tossing up about watching this, but probably will, only for Jason Mamoa.

Sorry, just re read my comments and can see the confusion I have created.

I meant the other 5 episodes in series 4 of Blackadder.

Q - What are your favorite TV comedy series?

In a vague order:

1. Psychoville (there is no way known this would get made now on so many levels -- you have been warned!). Season 2 makes little or no sense without seeing the Halloween special;
  2. Utopia;
  3. Fawlty Towers;
  4. Father Ted (inconsistent but generally good; the visit of the three bishops is a personal fave);
  5. Minder;
  6. The IT Crowd (see Father Ted).

In a vague order:

1. Psychoville (there is no way known this would get made now on so many levels -- you have been warned!). Season 2 makes little or no sense without seeing the Halloween special;
  2. Utopia;
  3. Fawlty Towers;
  4. Father Ted (inconsistent but generally good; the visit of the three bishops is a personal fave);
  5. Minder;

It is fantastic there is such a diverse amount of product out there for our viewing pleasure.

Your background wouldn't be British, would it?

Never even heard of Pyschoville. Learn something new every day! 2009-2011 the series was made.

Utopia, IT Crowd and Father Ted - never seen the light of evening viewing at my place.

I could substitute "The Vicar of Dibley" for Father Ted.

Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister for Utopia.

and swap in To the Manor Born and the Good Life

Minder was good value.

# Geez I am not British yet all mine have a very big British bent in them... oh and throw in "On the Buses" as another fav from yester year.

In a vague order:

2. Utopia;
  3. Fawlty Towers;
  5. Minder;
Can recall two anagrams of Fawlty Towers:

Flowery Twats
Farty Towels (almost)

Knowing Cleese and Co, would not be surprised if this was known at the time of creating the show.

Watched The Brothers Sun (Netflix). Almost overlooked it until I saw Michelle Yeoh in the cast. Quite good. Action series with a hint of comedy, about the Taiwan Triads coming under attack and, of course, the resolution has to occur in Los Angeles. Gotta love the Yanks for saving the world.

Sadly I spent 2 hours of my life I will never get back watching "The Royal Hotel" (2023) on FOXTEL, an Australian film financed by the various Government Federal and State agencies charged with funding projects like this.

A Kitty Green film about 2 Canadian young women who end up in the middle of nowhere Australia working in a pub. What could possibly happen to these two young things???

Think "Wake in Fright" (1971), "Wolf Creek" (2005) [never seen it] or "Sunday too far away" (1975) .... this film is not even close as Melbourne to Broome in terms of being considered in the same league.

It is supposed to be a thriller. But the thrill is the same as imagine you are at the beach, perfect day, good waves rolling in and you swim out to body surf, surf or wave board in on one of the waves. You see the wave form in the distance, you start swimming ready to be caught only to have the wave dissipate, leaving you disappointed. That is this film.

With about 30% of the crew, the writer and director all female, this crap will continue to attract Government funding (private enterprise won't touch it was a 1-million-foot bar) but sadly Kitty Green is no Kathryn Bigelow and only puts the cause of women filmmakers back, not forward.

RIP David Soul.

Singer and actor. Star of Starsky and Hutch as Detective David (Hutch) Hutchinson and singer of "Don't give up on us" has passed away.

There is one of his movies that I would recommend that, whilst "made for tv" is actually quite good.

In fact, so good the FBI use it now as training/instructional film.

It is one of the "In line of duty" series of movies called "The F.B.I. Murders"

Stars not only David Soul as one of the two baddies in the film, but;
  • Michael Gross as the other baddie (Family Ties 1982-89)

• The FBI Team investigating the crooks.
  • Ronny Cox (Total Recall, Beverley Hills Cop, Robo Cop)
  • Richard Jenkins - wonderful actor (Shall we dance? Hall Pass)
  • Bruce Greenwood - opposite to Richard Jenkins but good credits including (I.Robot, Flight)
  • Doug Sheehan - (Knots Landing)

Based on a true story of the 1986 Miami FBI shoot out in Dade County that changed FBI/Police tactics and use of weapons from revolvers to semi-automatic weapons.

This incident and the North Hollywood shootout in 1997 probably had the most effect on US Police ability to respond to violent gun incidents.

This maybe a "TV Movie" but it is well above the average and worth a look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sanctuary: A Witch's Tale. Sanctuary is an idyllic little hamlet in the UK where witches (well, one at least) operate out in the open and are registered by the government. Sanctuary is a Twin City of Salem - a totally unnecessary link. Anyway, the peace is shattered when sh!t goes down and witchcraft is blamed.

Seems to be another UK cop series with a twist of the macabre. But is OK so far. 7-episode series aired over the next 6 weeks.

I have just finished Fool Me Once on Netflix. Pretty standard Harlan Coben fare but Michelle Keegan in the lead role is enough eye candy to make even the most convoluted story worth watching.
Took a look at this following your recommendation. Thanks for the tip. I quite enjoyed it even though it was, as you say, convoluted.

I agree with you re Michelle Keegan. I did see her in Our Girl but did not make an immediate connection. Gotta give some cred for sticking it out for over 860 episodes of Coronation Street.

I have been a fan of Richard Armitage since Season 1 of Strike Back. Not a huge role here but good to see him. Seems to have grown a few inches since he played Thorin.:think:

If you get a chance, have a look at Operation Napoleon. Not to be confused with the recent Napoleon movie, this is an Icelandic movie starring Jack Fox (son of James, nephew of Edward), Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont of GOT fame and who really is a very ordinary actor), a couple of other very ordinary US actors, and a host of Sons and Dottirs of the Icelandic crew. If you ignore the B-grade US crew, the rest are OK and overall the movie is eminently watchable. Some of the icelandic crew, particularly Vivien Olafsdottir and Olafur Darri Olafsson are very good and totally lovable. I do not believe these two are related, but you never know, Olaf could have been a busy boy.

At the end of WWII, a German plane crashes on the Icelandic glacier. Almost 80 years later the glacier is melting and reveals the wreckage. This triggers a typical action thriller to locate Napoleon and discover its secret.

Seems the option is there for a sequel.

And so for that other Napoleon. Geez, what a chore it was to watch that. Two and a half hours. Joaquin Phoenix was excellent, but I am not sure the real Napoleon was as dour as Phoenix portrays. I have said before that I do not watch many biographical/documentary shows because I know the ending. I was hoping to learn something I did not already know, eg his early life and rise. At the start of this movie he is already a Captain in the artillery. I should have gone with my gut. I also thought that they may have given some idea of the military progress given his historical impact. Alas, too much time spent on building the love story with his cheating wife.

Not saying you will not enjoy it, you probably will, but I found it boring and had to force myself to see it though to the end. (I confess I even fast-forwarded through most of the last half hour. I had had enough.)

Just as an aside, one of my ancestors has a significant role in the latter part of the movie. HINT: He was an arrogant SOB.

Thanks for all the tips guys :)

Crypt. I looked up Michelle Keegan. Suddenly my tired or sore eyes became quite alive and well again ;).

[On a side note, I did see her in "Our Girl" (didnt make the connection) but still preferred Lacey Turner to MK)

I will look out for Operation Napoleon. The Napoleon movie is a to me like the Oppenheimer movie. If its going to go that long, wait for it to come out on the streaming services.

I see "Silent Night" (2023) is now available for rent I think on Foxtel. Looking forward to this but with a 5.3 IMDB review my expectations are falling.

Currently watching "Soldiers" or "Sentinel" - in French on SBS on Demand. Story of a French Army unit in MALI, Africa, there on a hearts and minds mission that like the British Army when they first arrived in Northern Ireland all those years ago the population quickly turns against them. Not bad. Doesnt drive to me binge view it though.

The other is on NETFLIX. "Gyeongseong Creature"

The Age reviewer said this Korean TV series was better than SQUID GAME! No. SG I could not wait until the next episode. This series is ok. The stories are weaving together quite nicely and the lead female, a young woman called Hans-So-Hee is very pleasant to the eye. Also stars the policeman from Squid Game.

Rated R. Very violent as in Texas Chainsaw type violent.

One little quibble. Set in Korea during the Japanese occupation near the very end of WW2 yet the private cars seem to have no problem getting fuel. The city (Gyeonsgseong is actually the Japanese name for Seoul) is lit up at night. Looks very calm and peaceful except for the Japanese police and military.

Koreans certainly make interesting TV that is for sure.

Another UK cop show on air for the next 6 weeks (AppleTV) is Criminal Record. The UK keep churning out high quality shows. I think it is maybe because the UK tend to focus on intense stories with a lot of twists and turns, whereas the Yanks want more gunfire and 'kick-ass'.

Criminal Record begins with a DV victim calling the Police line and dropping a comment that opens up a 10 year old closed case, pitting a young gun detective against the original crusty dude. Two episodes so far have sucked me in. Looking forward to the next few weeks.

I wanted to raise a question and decided a separate post was in order.

Some shows, like Jack Ryan, will drop on streaming service all at once. Others, like Criminal Record mentioned in the above post, air weekly.

What are your preferences? Immediate access to the entire series for a binge night, or sit back and wait patiently for a week until the next episode drops?

Binge night

I always end up forgetting about a series when it’s week to week
I'm actually in the habit of waiting until an entire season is complete so I can watch anytime, but I rarely binge the whole season at once. Not sure what that says about me.

6 Below is a trending movie on Netflix so I gave it a look last night.

It's absolutely awful.
Didn't make it through half an hour... I found myself not caring in the least whether this hastily sketched character lived or died.

Spolier (to save everyone time)...Google says he made it, but lost both legs to frostbite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back