What are you currently watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would agree with you in some cases. As said above, I could not get into the books at all, so I am stoked to have been presented with Villeneuve's adaptation, which I have enjoyed immensely.

However, there are some literary greats whose work should not be adapted. Take Tolkien as an example. The LOTR films were excellent and kept largely to the books. The Hobbit, on the other hand, is only a small book which was stretched into three lengthy movies and Jackson took pieces of The Silmarillion to role into an epic story. Was he right? I am not too sure, but I still enjoyed it.

Herbert, like Tolkien, created a detailed universe that that leaves one in awe. To me, Herbert lacked the story-telling capability of Tolkien, and that is where Villeneuve's brilliance comes in to play - to present an immensely enjoyable view of Herbert's universe.

I am tempted to mention GOT, but Martin himself is responsible for how that turned out by not finishing his own story.
True, there is a line you can go over when adapting a book to a movie.

Jackson's version of the Hobbit was an absolute abortion of a movie(s) probably driven by the $$$ to get three rather than one 9maybe 2) at best.

Slow Horses follows the books pretty well (except you can imagine almost smelling Gary Oldhams farts in the series)
Also first series of Reacher did justice to the book. Haven't got around to the second series yet!

Just finished watching "Shogun" on Disney +.

What an excellent 10 part series based on the book of the same name by James Clavell.

The mini series follows the book and does it so well. Excellent.

They could not have cast a better Lord Toranaga than Hiroyuki Sanada. If you saw him in "The Last Samurai" (2003) you would remember his performance as a top warrior.

Unlike the film of the same name which starred Richard Chamberlain, this John Blackthorne is played perfectly by Cosmo Jarvis.

Tabanobu Asano is brilliant as Yabushige the loyal sometimes not so loyal chief of his lands.

Finally, the heart of the series, the lead female played by the beautiful Anna Sawai as Mariko. Now this is a strong female character who really steers this series without any of the woke BS that we see now days in films.

Happy to have watched. Sad that it has finished.

James Clavell has other great books on Asia, Tai-pan for one would be another epic mini series to produce and get right, like they did with this one.

Just finished watching "Shogun" on Disney +.

What an excellent 10 part series based on the book of the same name by James Clavell.

The mini series follows the book and does it so well. Excellent.

They could not have cast a better Lord Toranaga than Hiroyuki Sanada. If you saw him in "The Last Samurai" (2003) you would remember his performance as a top warrior.

Unlike the film of the same name which starred Richard Chamberlain, this John Blackthorne is played perfectly by Cosmo Jarvis.

Tabanobu Asano is brilliant as Yabushige the loyal sometimes not so loyal chief of his lands.

Finally, the heart of the series, the lead female played by the beautiful Anna Sawai as Mariko. Now this is a strong female character who really steers this series without any of the woke BS that we see now days in films.

Happy to have watched. Sad that it has finished.

James Clavell has other great books on Asia, Tai-pan for one would be another epic mini series to produce and get right, like they did with this one.
Agree 100%. This was brilliantly done. The only issue I had was having to wait for a week between episodes. This one is really set up for a binge night. Nothing more to add to your comment, really. Highly recommended.

As for Taipan, the original movie starred Australians, Brian Brown and John Stanton, as the two main antagonists. A novel such as this cannot truly be represented in a 2 hour movie, so an 10-episode version would be an exciting prospect.

Noble House was produced in an 8 (?) episode series starring Pierce Brosnan (who I always thought would make the perfect James Bond. Took years to eventually cast him in that role. From memory it was due to his commitments to Remington Steele.) Back to Noble House, it also was very well done, but again, would probably benefit from a remake.

James Clavell is up there in my favourite authors, so I would look forward to any dramatization of his work.

One book I would love to see in a mini-series is Aztec, by Gary Jennings. It is a story about life before, during and after the Spanish invasion of the Aztec Empire told through the eyes of an Aztec survivor.

Agree 100%. This was brilliantly done. The only issue I had was having to wait for a week between episodes. This one is really set up for a binge night. Nothing more to add to your comment, really. Highly recommended.

Totally agree. That week's wait was annoying.

Just finished "The Gentlemen" Thankfully you can binge that show.

Good show, if you like that sort of genre, (and I do). Ended with a nice segway into a 2nd series.

The lead female fact: Kaya Scodelario spent some time in Melbourne in 2014 filming "The Kings Daughter" (2022) not released until 2022 to some pretty average reviews. Whilst in Melbourne she hooked up with her co star Benjamin Walker with the 2 going onto marry and have 2 children before separating this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back