What are you currently watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't make it through half an hour... I found myself not caring in the least whether this hastily sketched character lived or died.

Spolier (to save everyone time)...Google says he made it, but lost both legs to frostbite
So, you're saying the movie just ran out of legs?

I wanted to raise a question and decided a separate post was in order.

Some shows, like Jack Ryan, will drop on streaming service all at once. Others, like Criminal Record mentioned in the above post, air weekly.

What are your preferences? Immediate access to the entire series for a binge night, or sit back and wait patiently for a week until the next episode drops?

Binge or have the ability to Binge if I want.

I wanted to raise a question and decided a separate post was in order.

Some shows, like Jack Ryan, will drop on streaming service all at once. Others, like Criminal Record mentioned in the above post, air weekly.

What are your preferences? Immediate access to the entire series for a binge night, or sit back and wait patiently for a week until the next episode drops?

Binge or have the ability to Binge if I want.
Ditto with Rusty. I can hardly remember what I had for breakfast, let alone what happened in a show a week ago!

I might be late to the party here - but This Country is excellent, the comedy is so subtle, sometimes it's just a look or a couple of words. The humour reminds me of The Office (UK), and to boot, one of the main characters looks and acts EXACTLY like Gareth, as if he were his son, born in the Cotswolds.

Hey RustyHawk Thanks for the heads up on Blue Lights. Thoroughly enjoyed it 👍
Took Rusty's and your advice and watched Blue Lights. Agreed, it was quite good and well worth the binge time dedicated to the task.

Agree with others that Blue Lights is a good watch.

Fool Me Once fooled me into watching the entirety of it unfortunately. The storyline had some promise but some fairly poor acting and a poor sound score) really limited it's promise.

Finally getting around to Westworld season 4. Trying to remember he ins and outs of the previous season which was not the best from memory.

Watched Saltburn on Prime. Not a bad movie. You will wonder where it is going at times but wraps it nicely at the end.

Here is a real throwback. A new series of Zorro (Prime) from Spain. Story of how Diego De La Vega becomes Zorro after returning from Spain on the death of his father. California belongs to Mexico. Some want to hand it over to the US, and others want it to be simply, California. The Indians feel cheated and oppressed. The Chinese gang wants its cut. And the Russkies want a piece, also. We have the usual corruption, conspiracies and subterfuge.

After the first 10 minutes, I thought it was garbage, but after the Intro, everything changed. Acting was better, direction was better and the story actually started. Was hooked after the first episode.

And there is a lead in to future series. I would recommend it if this is your thing. And yes, I am old enough to remember El Zorro.

Aired in US on Jan 19. UK next week. Not sure when it will hit Australia.

One final rating - The Cryptkeeper's eye candy award goes to Renata Notni as Diego's love interest.

Last edited:
Just binged it in a couple days. Haven't watched a huge amount of Australian-made tv over the years but this is one of the best since the early seasons of Underbelly. Young Felix Cameron (Eli) looks to be a future star.

I was the same with Aussie TV but they are really starting to produce some quality stuff

I also thought Black Snow with Travis Fimmel was very good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Below I have listed a link.... not to what I am currently watching but what you could be watching in the next two weeks or so, if you like being a part of a studio audience for a show based in Melbourne.

The show is "The Quiz with Balls"

Eureka Productions here in Australia (obviously) is making this for the US Tv market and the show will not be shown here. (although I suspect one of the commercial networks may take this format up and develop a local product.)

A U.S. host (no idea who at this stage) plus U.S. contestants, flown over here to make a splash.

Set looks amazing so if you have time and are interested something a bit different, check it out.

Just watched the first two episode of Masters of the Air (Apple TV). Follows the heroic actions of the American B52 squadrons in WWII. Yet another story of how the Americans won the war. This stars Austin Butler in the lead. I really can't warm to him since his abysmal showing in the Shannara Chronicles. Have not watched Elvis, and I doubt I will, so maybe someone could give me an idea on whether he improved, but it doesn't look like it.

Also stars Barry Keoghan (Saltburn). A totally obnoxious character (as are most of the American characters). Has one of those really punchable faces.

Makes you wonder whether the script writers are deliberately trying to portray arseholes (a touch of realism?) or whether they do not realise and are portraying their true nature.

There are some good action scenes on the bombing runs, then a load of rubbish in between.

Seems to be a show that will go nowhere in terms of plot and will continue until most or all of the main protagonists are shot down or dead.

I guess it is sort of like a Band Of Brothers type of series but nowhere near as good.

PS Since I mentioned Shannara Chronicles, I tought I would make a comment on this. It has always bothered me how bad that show was. So I recently went back and re-read the book. The TV show contains about 5 minutes of what Terry Brooks wrote. The rest was made up for TV and was a total failure. A classic example of how the film industry can absolutely butcher a good story.

Last edited:
Haven't watched this yet, but another to look out for is Griselda (Netflix), starring Sophie Vergara as an ambitious Columbian businesswoman who created one of the most profitable Cartels in history. One for the binge nights.

Just watched the first two episode of Masters of the Air (Apple TV). Follows the heroic actions of the American B52 squadrons in WWII. Yet another story of how the Americans won the war. This stars Austin Butler in the lead. I really can't warm to him since his abysmal showing in the Shannara Chronicles.

Have also watched the first two episodes of "Masters of the Air" (Apple Tv).

I still rank Band of Brothers as the very best of this type of show and episode 1 "Currehee" as one of the best ever. I still put that episode in particular on rotation to play every now and again.

The scenes in the B17 verses the flak and German fighters is excellent. As they say "no fox holes in the sky"

For me, not sure exactly how many aircraft are real and flying vs digital versions. Shame the producers didn't follow the movie "Battle of Britain" (1969) that bought over 100 real aircraft into the air and to become the 35th largest Airforce in the world at the time!

Austin Butler is ok but no Damien Lewis. Thought him ok as "Tex" in "Once upon a time in Hollywood" - just love the ending of that movie.

Will keep watching.

arupist - Re: Shannara Chronicles - never heard of it.

Have also watched the first two episodes of "Masters of the Air" (Apple Tv).

I still rank Band of Brothers as the very best of this type of show and episode 1 "Currehee" as one of the best ever. I still put that episode in particular on rotation to play every now and again.

The scenes in the B17 verses the flak and German fighters is excellent. As they say "no fox holes in the sky"

For me, not sure exactly how many aircraft are real and flying vs digital versions. Shame the producers didn't follow the movie "Battle of Britain" (1969) that bought over 100 real aircraft into the air and to become the 35th largest Airforce in the world at the time!

Austin Butler is ok but no Damien Lewis. Thought him ok as "Tex" in "Once upon a time in Hollywood" - just love the ending of that movie.

Will keep watching.

arupist - Re: Shannara Chronicles - never heard of it.
Absolutely agree with you re Band of Brothers.

The Shannara Chronicles was released 2016-17 and ran for two seasons. Now I am a real fan of Fantasy books and LOTR, Wheel of Time and Shanara books are among the best. So I get really excited when I see a Movie or TV version. Shannara was terrible. Austin Butler was the lead figure in the series. Also starred Manu Bennett - you may know him as Crixus in the Spartacus series.

Season 1 very loosely followed Book two of the Sword of Shannara trilogy. I have no idea where Series 2 came from.

Just watched the first two episode of Masters of the Air (Apple TV). Follows the heroic actions of the American B52 squadrons in WWII. Yet another story of how the Americans won the war. This stars Austin Butler in the lead. I really can't warm to him since his abysmal showing in the Shannara Chronicles. Have not watched Elvis, and I doubt I will, so maybe someone could give me an idea on whether he improved, but it doesn't look like it.

Also stars Barry Keoghan (Saltburn). A totally obnoxious character (as are most of the American characters). Has one of those really punchable faces.

Makes you wonder whether the script writers are deliberately trying to portray arseholes (a touch of realism?) or whether they do not realise and are portraying their true nature.

There are some good action scenes on the bombing runs, then a load of rubbish in between.

Seems to be a show that will go nowhere in terms of plot and will continue until most or all of the main protagonists are shot down or dead.

I guess it is sort of like a Band Of Brothers type of series but nowhere near as good.

PS Since I mentioned Shannara Chronicles, I tought I would make a comment on this. It has always bothered me how bad that show was. So I recently went back and re-read the book. The TV show contains about 5 minutes of what Terry Brooks wrote. The rest was made up for TV and was a total failure. A classic example of how the film industry can absolutely butcher a good story.
B52s in WWII? Is it supposed to be some type of alternate history?

B17s - Flying Fortress.
Well, they both were Boeing aircraft.

As a complete aside, I took a ride in a B-24 a few years back. Really gave me a sharpened perspective as to what those folks went through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back