Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - JAMES VAN ES!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Please

Try being a young kid/teenager supporting the Saints through the 80s
Yeah, but the fashion of the day meant you could also wear shoulder padded jackets. I mean you can't have it all Mowman.

1669887535103.png

Looks like he's got a long penetrating kick off that snippet.

Hopefully he can find his feet quickly, because I think we will be better if we can untether Doogs from the gorilla forwards.

I’m not sure where you’re getting that from gringy. His kicking looks fine in the vid below.

Have you been watching him live?

A mate who's a big draft watcher said he's a great size and athletic but kicking is a long way off. Hopefully we can work on it or just use him as a pure stopper. Plenty of lump backs don't have to move the ball themselves.

A mate who's a big draft watcher said he's a great size and athletic but kicking is a long way off. Hopefully we can work on it or just use him as a pure stopper. Plenty of lump backs don't have to move the ball themselves.

I've heard he's one of those kicks who looks a lot better when he's kicking right through the ball.

My mate told me he's a bit iffier when he tries to pull the kick slightly and take something off it.

Kind of like Doogs really.

I think going for the Saints suited angry kids with adjustment issues. That was my excuse anyway.
Outsider, drifter, Sex-machine.

100%, I reckon I was always a contrary type. I was brought up a Blues supporter surrounded by them. My uncle was playing reserves there and we got to meet all the gun players of the 80s. I didn't really take much interest. Brainwashed by my grandfather who was a surly hard as flint type and so I took a massive interest in the worst side in footy. I just wanted to not fit in I guess. Was living in the Parkville, Carlton area where there were Blues supporters and if you were a rebel you chose Essendon. St Kilda was like getting a face tattoo. It set you out on the crazy fringes of normality. I liked it.

Here’s WCE_Phil’s write up on him:

“Would happily draft Van Es late. But is a pure lockdown and spoil. Can be led around a bit but has been able to overcome that against his peer group with great speed. Has very poor skills. I don't think he lasts to the rookie draft and would only look at him there but only as an option if we don't think Edwards will make it.

Would likely need a few years of development so he is more proactive than reactive and to get more body on body as he will get caught out at AFL level. The problem with Key defenders without great skills now is you have to surround them by guys with elite skills. However he does have a couple of elite AFL characteristics in his speed and jump.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time, long time. Welcome James Van Es. Does anyone else think his recruitment means the club is doubtful Oscar Adams will make it?
Love the nick, respect for fans of that vintage! Welcome!

I'd say that's a fair call, they'd have to at least not be super confident; but I guess he is seen as a fullback stopper type, not sure of Adams's profile, but just looked at his profile on the club site and they now have him listed as a ruckman, so that tells us something.

Van Es is 197cm and 99kg, at the same time last year Adams was the same height but only 83kg so that tells us something too.

I think you always want to have multiple players in various positions don't you?

It gives us options, flexibility, people to push each other and keep each other on their toes etc

Can very easily see JVE (FB), Adams (CHB) & Allison (3rd tall) playing together in the VFL. Tommy Highmore then gets totally off the chain, assuming he's not the new Sammy Gilbert in RTBs setup ;)

First time, long time. Welcome James Van Es. Does anyone else think his recruitment means the club is doubtful Oscar Adams will make it?
I’d say they’re just not putting all their eggs in the Oscar Adams basket. When they’re drafting 18 year olds you need more than 1 in every position.

I can remember crying at primary school because there was a group of kids hammering me about following the Saints. I was the only one in the whole school....who'd admit it. They were chanting "Waltzing Mathilda, boo for St Kilda", I was rage crying trying to hit kids through the tears. I was the wrong choice for a gimpy team.
No wonder you are so bitter toward this Kent of a club.
Their should be an RC for the 80's victims of STKFC.

Nah - a bit early to write off Adams just yet.

Think they were very happy with how he was progressing but then had back problems from training overload and that was pretty much it for the rest of the season.

Plus Van Es looks like a different sort of player to Adams - more lockdown than intercept.

I'm guessing your mate doesn't get payed for draft watching then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back