Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - JAMES VAN ES!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez his size and speed are pretty impressive. What's the knock on him?

Ballarat product James Van Es is one of the best key defenders in AFL draft crop​

James Van Es was running water on the sideline on a friend‘s game when he was noticed thanks to his vertically blessed frame. He’s now one of the best key defenders in the AFL draft, writes DANIEL CHERNY.

Daniel Cherny Daniel Cherny
Follow

@danielcherny

4 min read
November 18, 2022 - 6:00AM
Draft prospect James Van Es’ backstory is littered with former and current stars.

Draft prospect James Van Es’ backstory is littered with former and current stars.
In football terms, James Van Es is a distant member of the royal family.
That is, he is a distant relative of The King: Wayne Carey.

“It’s a bit of a reach,” concedes Van Es.
“But my mum’s mum was a Carey. So yeah it’s a bit of a reach, but I don’t mind wheeling it out.
“I’ve never even met him. Two or three years ago I found out … he was a gun footballer. I’d love to pick his brain.”
Van Es is a distant relative of the legendary Wayne Carey.

Soon, Van Es may not have to rely on vague bloodlines on his mother Lisa’s side of the family for introductions. One of the best key defenders in this year’s AFL draft crop, Van Es has a standout leap, finishing equal first at this year’s draft combine in the standing vertical jump and claiming the running vertical jump crown outright.
But to say Van Es always appeared destined to play in the AFL would be far from the truth. Born in Warrnambool, he grew up in Ballarat but he was more a basketballer as a junior, and although he played footy for North Ballarat he was nothing special. At 15 he hadn’t played any rep footy.
“I was never really much chop in juniors. Kind of just that big ruckman,” Van Es says.
Then, out of the blue came his big shot.
“I was waterboying one of my mate’s interleague games for Ballarat. They’re like, ‘Geez you‘re tall, do you play footy?’ I was like, ‘Yeah I actually do.’ Next week they came and watched me play, we had a good win and I had a decent game and they added me to the V-Line list which is a representative side. We went to Shepparton. My family couldn’t believe it, they all came down and supported me on the sidelines,” he says.
Van Es was away. As his footy developed, basketball faded into the abyss.
“I felt hard done by, I didn’t make the Vic rep [basketball] side … and then footy took off.”
A late bloomer, Van Es only started making representative sides in his late-teens. Picture: Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos/Getty Images

A late bloomer, Van Es only started making representative sides in his late-teens. Picture: Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos/Getty Images
But it wasn’t until under-17s and a Vic Country game. that Van Es, now 197 centimetres, was tried in defence.
“I was a bit flat about it. I had a shocker of a game,” he says of that debut.
However, being in proximity at the Greater Western Victoria Rebels to a future Richmond backman helped hold Van Es in good stead.
“I just got thrown in the deep end and had to learn really. But it was really good to lean off Josh Gibcus last year at the Rebels. He’s been really good to me, just showing me a bit of craft.
“We played in the same backline last year for Rebels. Watching him and seeing how he went about it. Was able to take a few notes off him”.
Van Es has a strong connection to another AFL player from the region. Star St Kilda ruckman Rowan Marshall is proof that if things don’t go to plan on draft night then all is not lost.
“I’m pretty close with him, family friends with him. He’s come to my house because he did uni in Ballarat. He’s been an idol for me,” Van Es says.
“My mum’s been really good friends with his aunty. It was tough to see him, come to the combine, interview all 18 clubs and go undrafted …[but] he had that desire to complete that goal.”
A move to defence for the GWV Rebels has put Van Es in draft calculations. Picture: Martin Keep/AFL Photos via Getty Images

A move to defence for the GWV Rebels has put Van Es in draft calculations. Picture: Martin Keep/AFL Photos via Getty Images
But the closest Van Es has come to greatness? Well that came earlier this year on a Friday night at the SCG, when the avid Sydney supporter moved towards the Swans’ attacking end for the final quarter of the clash against Geelong.
“I was lucky enough to take the punt and fly up to Sydney when he kicked his 1000th. Me and a few mates, we flew up to Sydney and we ran out on the field. It was pretty crazy,” Van Es says.
“I got a seat right on the fence where he kicked it. I think I was probably one of the first 15 out there.
“I touched him, grabbed his guernsey. I had to sidestep Tommy Atkins, I almost fell over.”
For the boy from St Patrick’s College in Ballarat, it is hard to comprehend that he could in theory be lining up against Franklin in 2023.
“If I was to be playing against Buddy I’d just be staring at him thinking, ‘What am I even doing here?’”
Last season Van Es ran onto the SCG to congratulate Lance Franklin after his 1000th goal, next season he could be playing on him. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Last season Van Es ran onto the SCG to congratulate Lance Franklin after his 1000th goal, next season he could be playing on him. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Van Es’ progress suggests that it is a genuine possibility.
“I like to take the best tall forward there is and try to negate their impact on the game,” says Van Es, who away from footy is eyeing a tertiary business course.
“My one-wood is my bodywork. I’m able to use my body and my strength to out-muscle my opponent and spoil the ball.
“Knowing when to spoil and mark is big for me.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ballarat product James Van Es is one of the best key defenders in AFL draft crop​

James Van Es was running water on the sideline on a friend‘s game when he was noticed thanks to his vertically blessed frame. He’s now one of the best key defenders in the AFL draft, writes DANIEL CHERNY.

Daniel Cherny Daniel Cherny
Follow
@danielcherny

4 min read
November 18, 2022 - 6:00AM

In football terms, James Van Es is a distant member of the royal family.
That is, he is a distant relative of The King: Wayne Carey.

“It’s a bit of a reach,” concedes Van Es.
“But my mum’s mum was a Carey. So yeah it’s a bit of a reach, but I don’t mind wheeling it out.
“I’ve never even met him. Two or three years ago I found out … he was a gun footballer. I’d love to pick his brain.”

Soon, Van Es may not have to rely on vague bloodlines on his mother Lisa’s side of the family for introductions. One of the best key defenders in this year’s AFL draft crop, Van Es has a standout leap, finishing equal first at this year’s draft combine in the standing vertical jump and claiming the running vertical jump crown outright.
But to say Van Es always appeared destined to play in the AFL would be far from the truth. Born in Warrnambool, he grew up in Ballarat but he was more a basketballer as a junior, and although he played footy for North Ballarat he was nothing special. At 15 he hadn’t played any rep footy.
“I was never really much chop in juniors. Kind of just that big ruckman,” Van Es says.
Then, out of the blue came his big shot.
“I was waterboying one of my mate’s interleague games for Ballarat. They’re like, ‘Geez you‘re tall, do you play footy?’ I was like, ‘Yeah I actually do.’ Next week they came and watched me play, we had a good win and I had a decent game and they added me to the V-Line list which is a representative side. We went to Shepparton. My family couldn’t believe it, they all came down and supported me on the sidelines,” he says.
Van Es was away. As his footy developed, basketball faded into the abyss.
“I felt hard done by, I didn’t make the Vic rep [basketball] side … and then footy took off.”

But it wasn’t until under-17s and a Vic Country game. that Van Es, now 197 centimetres, was tried in defence.
“I was a bit flat about it. I had a shocker of a game,” he says of that debut.
However, being in proximity at the Greater Western Victoria Rebels to a future Richmond backman helped hold Van Es in good stead.
“I just got thrown in the deep end and had to learn really. But it was really good to lean off Josh Gibcus last year at the Rebels. He’s been really good to me, just showing me a bit of craft.
“We played in the same backline last year for Rebels. Watching him and seeing how he went about it. Was able to take a few notes off him”.
Van Es has a strong connection to another AFL player from the region. Star St Kilda ruckman Rowan Marshall is proof that if things don’t go to plan on draft night then all is not lost.
“I’m pretty close with him, family friends with him. He’s come to my house because he did uni in Ballarat. He’s been an idol for me,” Van Es says.
“My mum’s been really good friends with his aunty. It was tough to see him, come to the combine, interview all 18 clubs and go undrafted …[but] he had that desire to complete that goal.”

But the closest Van Es has come to greatness? Well that came earlier this year on a Friday night at the SCG, when the avid Sydney supporter moved towards the Swans’ attacking end for the final quarter of the clash against Geelong.
“I was lucky enough to take the punt and fly up to Sydney when he kicked his 1000th. Me and a few mates, we flew up to Sydney and we ran out on the field. It was pretty crazy,” Van Es says.
“I got a seat right on the fence where he kicked it. I think I was probably one of the first 15 out there.
“I touched him, grabbed his guernsey. I had to sidestep Tommy Atkins, I almost fell over.”
For the boy from St Patrick’s College in Ballarat, it is hard to comprehend that he could in theory be lining up against Franklin in 2023.
“If I was to be playing against Buddy I’d just be staring at him thinking, ‘What am I even doing here?’”

Van Es’ progress suggests that it is a genuine possibility.
“I like to take the best tall forward there is and try to negate their impact on the game,” says Van Es, who away from footy is eyeing a tertiary business course.
“My one-wood is my bodywork. I’m able to use my body and my strength to out-muscle my opponent and spoil the ball.
“Knowing when to spoil and mark is big for me.”
So we picked a family friend of Marshall’s (Van Es), a former teammate of Hayesy (Phillipou), a Sandy boy (Hotton), and a good mate of Nas’?

Smørt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back