Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Wanting to drop Sonsie for more experience someone is like wanting to drop Shane Edwards for Danny Roach 15 years ago.

Agreed, outside of Prestia, we havent carried pure mids only for some time.

TT seems to be ear marked as pure mid
Dow pure mid
Hops pure mid

The above certainly hinders our flexibility and makes it harder to squeeze guys in IMO.
TT has shown he can rest forward and kick goals so not worried about him. Hopper seems to be a pure mid and I'd be working hard on adding some strings to Dow's bow, he's still young enough and got some toe

TT has shown he can rest forward and kick goals so not worried about him. Hopper seems to be a pure mid and I'd be working hard on adding some strings to Dow's bow, he's still young enough and got some toe
Agree but we havent used him this way at all have we?

Amazing some of this criticism of Sonsie, just amazing. Only turned 21 a few months ago and has played all of 12 games, only 12!!!
He’s a natural footballer that has class about him. For sure, a few errors late in the game on Sunday, but he’s played 12 games, and is still getting used to the speed at senior level.
They must keep playing him, shows some great traits and doesn’t squib contests.
Even that piece of play where he got pinged, incorrectly imo for HTB as he had zero chance of disposing of the footy, that pick up on the run before he got tackled was just sublime. And his attempts to move the ball on that didn’t work out were done for the right reasons and in line with the game style we’d adopted.
I’ll admit I’m a big fan of him and his talent, but they just should not drop him. Can’t believe one poster even said he won’t make it!!! Laughable given the traits he possesses.

I really hope this kid keeps improving and looks to have the skill set to do so. Just a thing that is gnawing on me has been his lack of toughness when he has to win a physical one on one ground ball. He doesnt seem to commit to hard contact but happens to young kids and almost every footballer has had that stage of not putting body on the line, so I hope its part of his learning curve and he doesnt turn into a pea heart like Short (Short is the softest, weak hearted player I have ever seen)

I really hope this kid keeps improving and looks to have the skill set to do so. Just a thing that is gnawing on me has been his lack of toughness when he has to win a physical one on one ground ball. He doesnt seem to commit to hard contact but happens to young kids and almost every footballer has had that stage of not putting body on the line, so I hope its part of his learning curve and he doesnt turn into a pea heart like Short (Short is the softest, weak hearted player I have ever seen)
looks to have improved this aspect out of sight IMO

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are too, but part of that is education for the kid.
And the only way to get the education is staying in the seniors
Yup without a doubt
Like Ross, some were disappointed that we played him off the backline and wing but it’s ultimately also made him a better well rounded player while still giving him afl experience

keep playing him but I reckon we might be playing him out of position
I think he is the only one of our many young midfielders that has the talent to be able to play a range of positions. His best position is obviously midfield, but I can't see players like Dow and McAuliffe playing other positions.

It's a bit of a double edged sword for Sonsie.

MacIntosh has spudded up 5 weeks in a row ... he comes out ... thanks for your hard work over the years ... can someone pass around a hat so we can get him a gold watch or something.

If we have anything left over can people come up with some ideas for retirement gifts for Grimes and Prestia too

I suppose that a send off game is required so maybe pencil in the 25th of May against the Bombers ... we will need to find a way to lose that one if we want to go into the MSD with a better pick than them ... and Macca and Grimes will lose a dozen critical contests between them on a good night.
UntidyShallowAmericanbadger-max-1mb.gif

we just need to play these guys.

• Sonz
  • Brown
  • Campbell
  • Dow
  • Banks

They need to get another 15+ games in their belt this year.

Critical for development.

Have a look at Mansell and MRJ they are hitting that 30+ games mark and we are now speaking of them as regulars in the side.
You can add to that list
  • Clarke
  • Coulthard
  • McAuliffe
  • Smith

Yup without a doubt
Like Ross, some were disappointed that we played him off the backline and wing but it’s ultimately also made him a better well rounded player while still giving him afl experience

Has it though? One could argue Ross was a better contested player and better overall player year one when given midfield time than he is now.

He's regressed it those areas since being forced to play a way that doesn't suit his strengths for so many years. He's still turned himself into a decent player because he's an elite worker not because of any quality development he had with Dimma and co

Has it though? One could argue Ross was a better contested player and better overall player year one when given midfield time than he is now.

He's regressed it those areas since being forced to play a way that doesn't suit his strengths for so many years. He's still turned himself into a decent player because he's an elite worker not because of any quality development he had with Dimma and co
Think you are misremembering his first year

He was looking decent before his injury but to say he has regressed is just plain wrong

we just need to play these guys.

• Sonz
  • Brown
  • Campbell
  • Dow
  • Banks

They need to get another 15+ games in their belt this year.

Critical for development.

Have a look at Mansell and MRJ they are hitting that 30+ games mark and we are now speaking of them as regulars in the side.
Not so sure about Banks right now, and not a Dow fan.

Rather McAuliffe and Coulthard and Clark play and hopefully Bauer if the campaigners can stop breaking him.

Smith has plenty to get enthused about also but is slow progress post his injury and still being managed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back